• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! “Male” canary egg issues

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
@finchly
The signs are a hen in discomfort. They will sit in the nest and if in distress make an almost crying sound. As finchly said they will sit low..look uncomfortable. If the vent is swollen it another sign.

downtownbirdie

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
We had a egg this morning! BUT is it normal to see a little blood on/nest to the egg?

Baby is peacefully sitting on her nest now, and had normal poops after 1096405D-65E4-4A70-AD49-0AB00030555C.png - I changed her paper, the normal one were definite afterward — but I am in a bit of a panic...

downtownbirdie

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Also vet recommended yesterday to put blackout drapes on her window, but I think this should probably wait until she’s done - which is a better route? I don’t want to mess with things when she is laying...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I guess he meant the blackout drapes would help her stop laying by altering her daylight hours. So - he wanted y ou to do it now.

Do you want her to continue?

Yes, blood is scary but normal for some hens.

downtownbirdie

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
04574482-6A48-412E-B815-504091EB2E4F.jpeg Thank you SO much, Finchly!

I guess we’d want her to lay any eggs already in progress - it wouldn’t seem healthy to me to “stop” them if they’re already on the way. I guessed we’d wait until she lays this brood. Does that make sense - or should we try to stop her now?

(We can reach our vet only by email, not by phone, so his advice is delayed...She hadnt had the egg yet.)

She is still sitting the nest, but tossed her egg food around sometime in the last hour. :fairy2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww! Susan, your bird is so beautiful!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If it was me, I would stop her now. The eggs aren’t lined up in there or anything, they are produced day by day so if you interrupt the cycle and stop her from laying eggs that will be healthier for her. Especially since there’s no father around, right?

downtownbirdie

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Thank you, Zara!!! I think so too, but I’m biased because I’m crazy mad in love with her. She is such a bright and fun little birdie too!

downtownbirdie

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Thank you Finchly — if you think so, that’s what we’ll do then. I really appreciate all of your help and advice.

Right. I think I might be her man...