• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! “Male” canary egg issues

downtownbirdie

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Hello everyone- so glad you are here!!

A month ago, in April, my beloved male canary Baby just didn’t seem himself - he was making loud (new) chirps, lightly fluffing and had a pasted vent, so we rushed him to the vet. We have had him for almost 4 years - he is a 2014 bird sold to us as a male. He had had a dirty vent in February and was treated for a mild yeast infection so we were concerned it recurred.

Tests showed nothing wrong, but he still continues to fluff up in quiet moments and started shredding paper and nesting. Our vet thought we were nuts, but we insisted on feather DNA testing him — and yep, today we learned “he” is a GIRL!

Here’s the problem: Should Baby have laid the eggs by now?

(S)he’s been acting odd for about a month. Her latest “symptom” started in the last week —- she straddles two perches that are side by side but 2-3 inches apart. She puts one foot on each — it looks like she is doing a split in the air - her legs out completely. It’s weird! When she does this, she also seems like she is in a trance or asleep with her eyes open. I can reach out and almost touch her before she “wakes up”... She sits in her nest too, but no eggs yet. Now I am TERRIFIED she is egg bound.

She has always been a healthy bird, but because we believed she was male, I am not sure if we have supplemented her calcium enough. She eats mostly ABBA 1700 and 3700 seed. We always provided Zupreem Fruit pellets because she liked to eat some, but I switched that to Harrison’s recently. We always gave her a vitamin drop in her water every day that had some calcium. She also gets a spoonful of a veggie each day - mostly broccoli, carrots, cauliflower or a sprinkle of dried kale. She always has hical grit and ground oyster shell but I don’t know how much she eats. She won’t touch a cuttlebone. She gets egg food as a treat a couple times a week. We are now adding a drop of Calcibird to her water too.

How long before I need to worry that she hasn’t laid her eggs?

Is that enough calcium?

Is there anything else I should do?

I love Baby SO much, and am really frightened. I lost an egg bound pigeon years ago but am not sure I’d know the signs in a canary...i only know to take care of a MALE canary!

Thank you for any advice.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I am sorry to hear that she seems ill. Some birds lay eggs at a young age, but not all. Depending on the species of bird that could mean years later. Also, there is always the chance that a female will never lay an egg. So much of it depends on the specific bird for this question. I am not sure about your other questions, however @finchly may be able to help.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum Susan, I hope you find the answers to your questions ❤

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
How long before I need to worry that she hasn’t laid her eggs?

Is that enough calcium?

Is there anything else I should do?

I love Baby SO much, and am really frightened. I lost an egg bound pigeon years ago but am not sure I’d know the signs in a canary...i only know to take care of a MALE canary!

Thank you for any advice.
Hello and welcome, @downtownbirdie !

If a canary hasn't laid its egg in 2-3 days, that is when I start to worry. Sometimes they seem to really be in pain. A vet visit would be the BEST option. They can do things you and I cannot do. At home, here are some things you can try:
  • Warmth, usually via a small ceramic bulb (not a reptile bulb)... I put it on one side of the cage so she can move to the other if it's too hot.
  • Humidity - birds need some humidity, depending on where you live it may not be enough. If I think a hen is eggbound, I put here in a small cage, set it in our smallest bathroom, and run the shower with only hot water. Leave her there in the moisture for an hour. Maybe repeat later in the day.
  • Make sure she is eating/drinking. You can dose liquid calcium (diluted per instructions of course) in her water or, if she gets in bad shape, dribble it on the side of the beak with a dropper. Tractor Supply has a liquid calcium gluconate for cattle - you have to draw it up with a needle - it is more concentrated than the bird calcium we buy and may save her life.
  • Also consider bumping up her electrolytes. You can use plain old pedialyte from the baby aisle in the grocery/pharmacy. There are bird-specific products that are good to have on hand. I used Guardian Angel, I believe there's also Thrive. Again, if she's bad off beak dose it. I just did this yesterday with a canary hen, then I put the remainder in a tiny bowl on the bottom of the cage. A few hours later she was hopping around like she'd never been laying on the floor!
I'm sure someone will come along and say you can expel the egg. Please don't. There's a huge risk of it breaking inside her, causing life-threatening injuries.
In the future, please consider helping her 'not' become nesty. Don't give her a nest or paper to shred. Try fewer hours of light exposure. Rearrange the cage.

Good luck! We'd love to see a picture. And update us when this is over. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I should have been clearer. With the liquid calcium, it has to be diluted in water. A lot - like 1:15.
When you put a bird in the bathroom..... NEAR the shower not in it of course. :D

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
From when she first began straining, standing/sitting weird, sitting on the floor - whatever it is she's doing!

Can you catch her and look at her lower belly? Sometimes you can see or feel an egg shape.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Honestly - she would have died if she were egg bound. Yes I think you'd be able to see it. Maybe she's going through the motions but has no plans for eggies! :D

downtownbirdie

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Does that happen? I’m honestly so confused!

This morning, when I went in her room she was slightly fluffed on her perch. But, right away, she flew around, happy and chirpy. As I cleaned her cage, she was totally bright and perky. She flew in and out of her cage, ate her breakfast (some each of her broccoli, seed diet and some pellets) and absolutely CHOWED down on some egg food. I gave her a warm bath - which she only drank.

She hadn’t not torn up her cage paper at all today and the little woven straw nest I bought her was empty.

Everything actually seemed so 100% normal, I thought maybe it was all better. I left and went back in the room 5 minutes later, now she’s sitting in the nest...

I don’t want to traumatize her and being her to the vet unless she needs it, but I am afraid I won’t know when to go if she does.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What a cutie!

Since she’s acting sort of normal-it’s not time for a vet visit *i think*

They do hide illness though. Maybe she likes the nest. Maybe she is pretending to have eggs. Lol

downtownbirdie

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Oh Finchly, thank you SO much for your replies! I do try, but the birdies are so darned stoic...

I’ll just keep watching today, and then maybe reassess. Our vet is in tomorrow. Baby is now tearing paper again - but looks just fine.

downtownbirdie

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Well, again, no egg this morning. Only a very bright, charming and hungry little birdie who seems to have a part-time hobby in nest-making...

We emailed our vet to ask when he thinks we should bring Baby in, but for now, I guess we are still in watch and wait...

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Oh bless her. Great advice from finchly..she knows her stuff. I think your canary is playing. They love bits of paper..keeps her busy and active. As finchly said she is enjoying her nest and seems well. It is quite clear when they need our help because they cant hide it any longer. Your hen looks very perky and well..oh and up to mischief.

downtownbirdie

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Thank you, Claire! All happy and perky today, thank goodness. She does still have some poopy feathers on her butt. (Feathers only - clean vent itself and no problems passing droppings.)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Great that she is doing well.

downtownbirdie

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Are there any particular signs we should watch for to know if she is trying to lay eggs or getting egg bound?

What’s the first way you know?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Clairecanary15 what signs do you see?

Usually they’re sitting a bit low on the perch, like leaning forward, or they’re on the floor. Sometimes panting but often not.

If you turn her over and look (blow the feathers aside) you might see the egg shape. But you might not. LOL that’s what makes it hard!