• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help — aggressive tiel

Shahrn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rohan
i’m not sure what’s gotten into him lately, but my cockatiel Kenny (4 years) has been extremely aggressive lately. I don’t know if his hormones or what, but he’s been attacking everyone, myself included. He never used to do that, as he’s always cuddly with me. Any advice? It’s really frustrating and he’s going to hurt someone.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Has anything changed around him? Weird things can freak tiels out- a new haircut, new glasses, etc. But most likely my guess is hormones. How much sleep does he get? Try increasing his hours of sleep by 2 hours a day for a couple weeks and see if he calms down.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Have you had him all four years?If nothing has changed, it could be hormones, or is he going through a heavy molt? Also, when is the last time he had a check up. Sometimes birds become aggressive if they are not feeling well.

Shahrn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rohan
I’ve had him since he was a baby. No real changes. He was molting about a month ago, but seems good now. I haven’t taken him for a check up, but i’m assuming it is hormones. I can take him in if you think that would be beneficial.

He just seems very protective of things that would resemble a mate, which is why he’s attacking.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Shahrn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rohan
Will the hormones go away? Or will he always be like this until he gets a friend?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could be hormonal or maybe he isn't feeling well. The hormonal "stuff" does generally go away.

Shahrn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rohan
How long does it last typically? It’s just crazy: his first three years with me were not aggressive at all. Now the past couple months have been really annoying, as he’s attacking my family.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Might be worthwhile to take him to vet for a check up. When was the last time he had one?

Shahrn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rohan
It’s been a couple years. I can take him in.​

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hormones are often seasonal and can last several weeks (or in the case of my cockatoo longer). Try the increasing his hours of darkness that I suggested to see if it gets him back in check.

Shahrn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rohan
Thank you all for your concern and responsiveness. Really appreciate it! He’s behaved the past few days; so maybe he realizes he upset me! Thanks again, and I’ll keep you posted. Let’s hope it’s just temporary.