• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
Hey, I just want to ask if any one has MADE a bird cage before.

Last edited:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I know some people have done aviaries, but I’m not sure anyone has made a cage… how were you thinking of doing it?

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
Either with wire mesh (bird safe, of course) or out of a hutch.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yes we have had a few people share their home made cages over the time I have been a member here.
I can't say I would be happy to house my birds in most of them for varying reasons but mostly because I have parrots who are well known for chewing, hanging off wire/bars, testing boundaries and escaping cages all of which poses extra safety hazards if incorrect materials are used or the builders knowledge and construction skills are not up to standard- making housing for chooks or canaries/finches is quite different to making housing for parrots- so many extra concerns for safety with how parrots interact with their environment/housing.

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
Oh, okay. Does anyone know where to get super cheap flight cages?

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
Shezbug
You said to ask for pictures of your macaw, so here I am asking for pictures!

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
Yes we have had a few people share their home made cages over the time I have been a member here.
I can't say I would be happy to house my birds in most of them for varying reasons but mostly because I have parrots who are well known for chewing, hanging off wire/bars, testing boundaries and escaping cages all of which poses extra safety hazards if incorrect materials are used or the builders knowledge and construction skills are not up to standard- making housing for chooks or canaries/finches is quite different to making housing for parrots- so many extra concerns for safety with how parrots interact with their environment/housing.
Shezbug
You said to ask for pictures of your macaw, so here I am asking for pictures!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Where do you live (country) that will give people an idea on where to look for cages.

Also @Shezbug you have been asked for pictures of your macaw. And I would really love to see a Burt picture.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Burt you are such a handsome booger.

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
Where do you live (country) that will give people an idea on where to look for cages.

Also @Shezbug you have been asked for pictures of your macaw. And I would really love to see a Burt picture.
I live in the US

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
It depends on what kind of bird you want to have in the flight. What species and how many are you going to have in the new flight cage?

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
You can usually find some good quality stainless steel mesh for sale online. You would need to find someone to weld it to a stainless steel frame for you or build a frame from untreated pine lumber and screw the mesh to the outside. This wouldn't work for a macaw or cockatoo, but it could take a couple of buddies a good long while to chew through a 2 x 4. To be safe you'd definitely need to inspect the wood regularly and replace any cheewed lumber once they get about a third of the way through it.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Be sure that the screws you use are also also stainless steel as the birds could come in contact with them as they dig into the wood. Zinc dipped (galvanized) mesh or screws are a risk for zinc poisoning. Screws with colorful coatings could also be a hazard as the coatings could break down and be eaten with negative consequences.

LiveLolBrd

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lana
Be sure that the screws you use are also also stainless steel as the birds could come in contact with them as they dig into the wood. Zinc dipped (galvanized) mesh or screws are a risk for zinc poisoning. Screws with colorful coatings could also be a hazard as the coatings could break down and be eaten with negative consequences.
Okay! Thanks you!