• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello :)

HaileyRB2

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone,

I currently have two birds - one rosebreasted cockatoo named Hailey who is 7 years old, and a rescue Rosey Bourke female with vision impairment named Stitch (we thought she was a male until she laid eggs :roflmao:).

I've been "lurking" a bit around the forums and decided to register. Thankful to be here :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome :)

It’s great to have you here!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!!!

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Welcome!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum :fairy2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

JuJu

Checking out the neighborhood
People say you shouldn't leave your conure in a cage Our neighbor was evicted and we kinda ended up with the bird unexpectedly, but charlie is a great boy or so we think anyway lol

I think a cage is all he's known, and when i try to catch him with my hand he wants to bite so i put a glove on a he acts scared shizzless and then he plays catch me, if u think u can lmao.. i have to use a wash cloth and toss it on him in order to grab him

We tell him no bite when im changing his water and he stops himself but as far as him being introduced outside the cage its impossible because grama has 2 cats and 3 dogs that would harm him.....

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Juju,

when i try to catch him with my hand he wants to bite so i put a glove on a he acts scared shizzless
i have to use a wash cloth and toss it on him in order to grab him
Carry on like that and the bird will never stop biting you, nor will he have a positive relationship with you.
You are the person who wears a scary glove, and throws a towel over him and forces him to do things he does not want. You are scary to him.
Birds must never be forced.

but as far as him being introduced outside the cage its impossible because grama has 2 cats and 3 dogs that would harm him.....
Then kick the cats and dogs out for a couple of hours so the bird can get out. It is cruel to keep a bird cage bound. They need to get out, they need to stretch their wings.

Please read through some threads here, this forum is full of knowledge and you have so much to learn.

JuJu

Carry on like that and the bird will never stop biting you, nor will he have a positive relationship with you.
You are the person who wears a scary glove, and throws a towel over him and forces him to do things he does not want. You are scary to him.
Birds must never be forced.
Wait a second i didn't join or ask to be judged..... When i get home that bird goes crazy because he loves me he gives me kisses and we carry on a conversation everyday... Excuse me but we have a very good relationship Zara. And throwing my other animals out for hours I just cant do that. I glove up for my safety Charlie tears me up otherwise

JuJu

what do i do just go in bare handed and let him bite the living hell out of me??

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
First, I´m not judging. I´m commenting on what you said.

Are you really saying that you will not put the cats and dogs out for just a few hours a day so that your bird can leave the cage and fly? I don´t mean putting them out in the yard.. I mean just putting them out of the room where your bird lives.

And no, I don´t expect anyone to put their hands in a birds cage that will bite you. There are other ways to interact with the bird. If he is biting you then stick training is something that could be beneficial to you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

JuJu

Zara i may try this, he's gotten out by accident once and the pets were like ohh boy play time.... he flew around the room and went back to the top of the cage where i grabbed him and put him back in his safe haven..... what is stick training ?? people have said you should get there wings clipped so they cant fly is this untrue....

Im new to this i kinda inherited this bird i also try to take his cage outside when its warm enough as i think he like it or maybe it startles him.....

Thanks

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Please do not clip his wings. It is not a solution to the problem.

Have a read of the threads here: The Training Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
There´s also some external links there for some great articles on training.

When you have some free time, sit and read through as much as you can before deciding to clip. I´m sure you will find something helpful in these threads.
Don´t be overwhelmed by it, there is a lot of information.

ÇThis may help you with the biting: Diagnosing agression triggers. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I also put my birds cages outside in the sunshine when it is not too hot. I make sure there is a shady area in the cage somewhere and also some water to bathe in. It is good for them to soak up some UV. I never leave the cages unattended though. You just never know what sort of unexpected predators can turn up. I like to sit next to the cages and have a cup of coffee whilst working so I can keep everyone safe.

I don´t want to keep harping on, but out of cage flight time is very important. When I found my hen, I had her out of the cage on day one. Only in the kitchen and I put the dog out in the living room. I didn´t offer her any food or water out of the cage, so she would return on her own accord eventually, then I would say ¨go home¨and give her a treat in her bowl and over 2 years later, she has been out every day and only once did she not want to go back to her cage.
I say go home, and tap her cage and she goes. BTW this hen will bite if given the oportunity, so I never put my hand in her cage - I haven´t been bitten in two years. I open the door and she comes out on her own accord. She likes to be left alone and do her own thing and come over to me on her own terms. She has only been towelled once, and that was done by the vet not me.

Part One: Parrots, Flight, and Humans – Pamela Clark, CPBC

Part Two: The Benefits to Them – Pamela Clark, CPBC

Part Three: The Benefits to Us – Pamela Clark, CPBC

Part Four: To Clip or Not to Clip? – Pamela Clark, CPBC

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award