• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

Winningsoul

Moving in
Real Name
Astrid
I joined the forum to learn more about parrots breeds and their care. I'm a truck driver and would like to take a small to medium sized parrot companion on the road with me. I have for the most part only had tame songbirds as companions. Apart from songbirds I had a budgerigar and small parrot, but that was a long time ago while I was young.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue.

I've heard of truck drivers that have a bird as their travelling companion, but never have the pleasure of meeting them.

My first thought on a species for you would be a 'tiel...most have a very calm, laid-back disposition. To me, girl 'tiels are the sweetest birds around..you might have to deal with eggs, though...;)

Winningsoul

Moving in
Real Name
Astrid
Thank you for the welcome! I have been considering a tiel for a while. I do however want a boy, as I don't want the problem of a girl becoming egg bound. I saw it happen to my sister's bird and I spent all morning helping her. With a lot of help she finally laid the egg, but I never want to go through it again. However I'm not sure if I'm trading the personality of the bird for that convenience. I have been told that a girl is calmer and quieter. I definitely want a calm quiet bird though I know at the end it's up to the individual's personality.

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
Welcome!

I used to drive 8+ hours each weekend with my parrot in college (that was my long ago bird I miss to this day). He LOVED being in the car and would yell "Hello" at all passing vehicles. Drove me nuts sometimes but it was still nice having company.

Just make sure the cage can be buckled in to keep it from tipping. I got my sole speeding ticket trying to right his travel carrier when it fell... the State Trooper did not appreciate the fact that I couldn't turn my car off and roll the window down. It was winter time and below freezing so I told her I could either roll the window down and keep the car on or turn the car off and roll the window up. She was going to argue when my bird yelled "Hello" at her. It is funny in retrospect.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator