• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

Luna3391

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
Hello there. I'm the proud new mama to a beautiful little baby Sun Conure that my husband brought home for Christmas. We've been discussing getting a bird for a while now, as I grew up with an African grey in my home as a child (That sadly, did not bond to me, but did to my parents) and have long since missed the squawks and whistles and cleverness. While the grey didn't care much for me, I really did love it... and decided to do some research on what would be a good breed for me. I fell in love with both the beauty and goofiness associated with Conures during my research. I believe my husband did as well, though he won't admit it. :p

I thought we were going to wait a bit longer before committing, but he knew what having a bird in the home would do for me. He's wonderful, and more than willing to learn how to handle the responsibility of a type of pet he's never had much experience with.

Given that it's been a while since I've had to handle a bird, I've decided to join the forum and brush up on all my knowledge. Wanna do the best I can for my new Featherbaby, Daxter. So sorry everyone if some of my questions seem silly or whatever! I've done a ton of reading up, but I over-think and get paranoid about everything so I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue! And Welcome to Dexter! We would love to see pictures!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congratulations on getting your new feathered friend/family member. Post some photos when you get a chance.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Luna3391

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
Thank you guys for the welcome! I'll put up a few pics ASAP.

Daxter's cage is a bit bare at the moment... Like I said, my husband totally surprised me two nights ago with "hey, I went to go pick up your bird today! Surprise!" While I was like "Wait, what bird!?" It prompted a mad dash to the pet store for the basics haha! Luckily, I was on my phone in the car and saw that Petco had that massive cage for sale 40% off. Even though it wasn't for sale like that in store, the cashier gave it to us at the online price, no questions asked. So... my living room is now 1/5 bird cage... but it's worth it.

I want to fill it with toys, and have a few I've already picked up. And while Daxter has certainly grown slightly more curious (Getting closer to the side of the cage I'm sitting on, or just exploring in general), the poor baby is still extremely cautious and wary. I'm uncertain if I should put the few toys I picked up in now, or wait. Any advice?

(He does seem to like the one that's already in there.)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to AA! Congratulations on Dexter, he is adorable! I would just follow his lead. If he seems suspicious of the new toys I would just put them near the cage for a few days so he can get used to them. Also, you might want to cover two or three sides of the cage so he feels more secure.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
:hello::welave:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Welcome to the Avenue...have a look around iam sure you are going to learn about how to care for your new Avian companion.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome to the Avenue where no question is to big or too small. I'm glad you did your research. He is a gorgeous baby and love his name. :smileflower:

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Hello!! And welcome to you both! What a gorgeous birdie you have!