• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello

Caz Omega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caroline
I'm new to this forum. I have 9 awesome feathery kids, most of them rescues, all with a story and their own unique natures.

My little Hans Macaw is 4 months old, he was born with only 1 wing. He is a very cuddly, loving bird but has a lot of problems with balance. I am going to have a chat with my local vet, but I would like to hear a few opinions from bird lovers. It was suggested to me that he have the other wing amputated so that he would be more balanced, and I was told that having only the 1 wing cold cause respiratory issues later on. I'm not sure if this is true, and the idea of further disabling him upsets me immensely, but if it would mean better health and a longer life for him, obviously the sooner it's done the better. Any opinions/suggestions from people that know a bit about this sort of situation?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Since he has balance issues it is best to use a cage that is not very tall in case he falls. If he does not usually go to the bottom of the cage I would put a towel down and then papers on top of it to cushion him should he fall. Rope perches and platform perches will also be important for him..

Sorry but I have no experience with the health of a one winged parrot.

Matt

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Welcome, welcome!

We love pictures here, so feel free to post some of your flock!

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
Hello! welcome too Avian Avenue! yes pictures! we all love too see him!. :hello1: :smuggrin:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:welcomesign:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome to the neighborhood! :greet7:We have many handicapable birds here so I'm sure you'll get many helpful suggestions.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-109.gif

@akitastwo

I know a macaw that only has one wing. She does the best she can with what she is given. Give Hope ( akitastwo ) a day or two but she chime in and give you her thoughts. If he was born with it he will adapt without issue I believe. I would not remove the other.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:hello1: & WELCOME TO THE AVENUE....

newatthistx

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Michele
:hello: ...Welcome to the avenue :) I sure hope you can find the right answers for your baby....maybe because he's so young he'll learn to compensate more quickly as he gets older

Caz Omega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caroline
Angie and Loopy our green cheek conures
AngieLoops2.jpg Applebest.jpg Apple, one of the Celestial Parrotlets
Berrybest.jpg Berry, the other Celestial Parrotlet
Budgiebest.jpg Budgie, my white capped Pionus Parrot

Liefbest.jpg Lief, the Han's Macaw (Rescue bird)
Liefmisswing.jpg Lief - showing the missing wing

Peanutbest.jpg Peanut - The Senegal Parrot (Rescue bird)
Piebest.jpg Pie - The African Ringneck Parakeet
Rubybest.jpg Ruby the cockatiel (Rescue Bird)

Caz Omega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caroline
They are moulting at the moment and looking rather raggety. Peanut was completely plucked when we got him, with butchered wings, he is slowly growing in some tufts and I'm hoping he will be fully feathered again one day. Apple and Berry were kept with a lot of parrotlets in a cage by the breeder and when I got them, both had been pecked badly and Berry's head feathers were mostly gone and one toe had been partially bitten off, Apple had plucked his belly and chewed his feathers.. They are both settling in and I'm hoping to get them lady friends at some point. Angie, one of the conures has issues with her toes, but she hops along nicely and it doesn't slow her down a bit. Ruby had been abused by her previous owners and her wing had been badly damaged and had sores, she has mostly healed but I'm not sure if those feathers will ever grow back. The Hans Macaw Lief was born with one wing but is a cute and cuddly baby and seems to manage his disability ok, will look at taking the advice above with regards more ladders, ropes etc as well.

Any advice on helping my feathery kids regrow plumage etc would be great, and I'm enjoying reading all the advice on the forums here. Glad I found you. :)

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Caz Omega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caroline
Ooops, couldn't edit the post. Pie is an Indian Ringneck (which most will already know I'm sure)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Welcome to AA :D

akitastwo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hope
:welcomesign:

As Macawnutz said I would NOT have the other wing removed. Your baby is very young it will take him some time to learn how to balance. My RFM Haven's balance was not the best when he was younger and he was born with both wings. He was just in such a hurry to get were he was going he would trip over his own feet. :lol: Like Macawnutz mentioned I do have a B&G with only one wing. We named her Uno. I have had her a just over a year now. I am 100 % sure that she was also born this way. At first I wasn't sure because she did have some balance issues when we bought her home. She would face plant if she tried to run or walked to fast and forgot to put her wing out for balance. I was sure she had lost it later in her life but after doing her nails the last time I checked her over really good and could find no scares so I am sure she was born with only one.

Just over a year later her balance as greatly improved. She no longer face plants when she runs or walks.

As for respiratory issues I am not sure about but I think if you get him to exercise the one that he does have a little everyday that will help decrease any respiratory issues later on. Like other have said I would keep his perches low in his cage for now and place a towel on the bottom of his cage. As he gets older am sure his balance will improve and he will amaze you with the number of things he can do. Like Uno he doesn't know he is different so we don't treat her any different. We just make sure to put some safety precautions in place so she can play and run around like the others.

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
:howdy: Glad you're here! Your flock is beautiful and you are a special person to give these babies a second chance at a fabulous life!

Caz Omega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caroline
Thanks for all the welcomes and the advice. Glad to be here. :)