• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello to everyone!

I wanna fly

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie Christian
I just ran across this forum today and immediately knew I wanted to be a part of it. I am the proud mama of Big Mama, (Blue and Gold Macaw) Kindred, (yellow Nape Amazon) and Morticus (Congo African Gray). I am anxious to get started reading through the different topics. I did read the blog turned forum topic about Macaws, that's what hooked me! It's a great informative post and since I've earned Big Mama's trust over the last year, I'm ready to start training her.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Welcome to the Avenue!!! We would love to see pictures of Big Mama, Kindred and Morticus if you have any!!!
:hello:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you, Big Mama, Kindred, and Morticus! :)

And yes, we'd love to see pics when you get a chance...:D

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:welcomeavenue:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello1:
:welcomesign:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I just ran across this forum today and immediately knew I wanted to be a part of it. I am the proud mama of Big Mama, (Blue and Gold Macaw) Kindred, (yellow Nape Amazon) and Morticus (Congo African Gray). I am anxious to get started reading through the different topics. I did read the blog turned forum topic about Macaws, that's what hooked me! It's a great informative post and since I've earned Big Mama's trust over the last year, I'm ready to start training her.
Welcome! We love pictures and stories. I love the names of your birds.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome to you and your flock.

I wanna fly

Moving in
Real Name
Jamie Christian
Thank you all for such a warm welcome! I have plenty of pictures! I’ll start with Big Mama. My daughter got big Mama from a local guy that rises several different kinds of birds. He also helps people rehome their birds if they need to. That was the case with big mama. The previous owner had big mama and her mate with plans of making lots of money selling their babies. After a period of time when they did not produce any babies she got tired of fooling with them and decided to put them out on the back porch. They got little or no attention and she just threw scraps out of the cage For them to eat. A raccoon got into the cage and killed the male right before big mama’s eyes. Big mama started plucking all of her feathers out and as far as the previous owner was concerned she no longer had any value. When my daughter went to look at birds it broke her heart and she chose big mama. She kept her for almost a year. She would grow feathers and then she will pluck them out again. She never bonded with anyone in their home. She would not allow anyone to touch her. Every time I would go over there I would sit by her cage and talk to her and give her little treats. A week before my birthday last year my daughter called me and Asked me if I wanted to bring big Mama home with me. I broke down and cried. Two days later we loaded her up and brought her to my house. I don’t even know how long it had been since she had been handled. We had to fold the seats down in my SUV and gently lay her cage on the side because we couldn’t get her out of the cage. She had not been out of her cage in months. When I got her home the first thing I did was open the door to her cage. I spent a lot of time talking to her and I took newspapers and twisted them up and wove them through the bars of her cage. I thought maybe this would give her something to pick on instead of her feathers. Slowly add began to win her trust. She still will not step up on my arm but he will put 1 foot on it. He loves for me to rub her head and she will nibble on my arm. With that huge beak i’ll have to admit I was somewhat afraid. So far she has not ever bitten me. I just moved her cage into my bedroom to give me more one-on-one time with her. The goal I am working on right now is to get her to step up. I am posting a picture of her the day I got her and what she looks like now. I apologize for making this such a long post, but I figure if you lovebirds like I do then you probably won’t mind. Please look over any typos. I use talk to text on my phone and sometimes I don’t correct. Thank you for letting me share her story, I know it’s a sad one but it’s got a happy ending and it’s not even over yet.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome I hope you enjoy your time here:) Big mama is beautiful! Thanks for being her soft place to land :heart:

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Thank you for giving her a forever home and welcome to the avenue :hug4:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor, sweet bird! I'm so happy Big Mama is now in your care.:heart: She looks so much better now! I'm sure she's very grateful for your love and companionship, and I can't wait to hear about her progress move by forward.