• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello-thanks for accepting me !

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
I just wanted to introduce myself. I first became a bird mom with budgies. Then branches out to 2 hand raised cocktails. I’m obsessed with them-Echo and Delta. Then after posting pictures of them on social media someone reached out to me regarding 3 birds that needed rescued/re-homed. I hesitated for maybe a day :roflmao: and gave in. I took in a Nanday Conure makes Annie and oh boy lol. I can see her sweet side but at first I was afraid because of the screaming and the biting. Still does both but she flew to me on her own by day 3 and we’ve been working on her step ups. Still bites but not as bad. I still wear winter gloves tho lol. She still screams too which I am reading is just part of their character. It was consistent. It’s a little better. I know sunrise and sunset is their time to shine I also am seeing maybe that’s how she contact calls? And loud noises. She seems to hate them. I’ve been ignoring her when she screams and paying attention when she is quiet trying to curb the screaming a bit.
I also took in 2 cocktails. They are terrified of people so I have a long road ahead of me with them lol but the male sings beautifully!
So thank you all for welcoming me!! 2329A24E-4414-4CF4-9F61-F017A107D944.jpeg DFE297D4-F25A-4618-B594-B7347DD525F9.jpeg 4498374A-8787-44F7-9346-325192E7C813.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :fairy2:

Your birds are all so beautiful! Thankyou for opening up your home and your heart for them :loveshower:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your flock! :)

Your birds are beautiful...and being a Dad to Nanday Buddy, I'm smitten by Annie. ;)

When Buddy arrived, she too was a bit of a biter...and screamer.
I’ve been ignoring her when she screams and paying attention when she is quiet trying to curb the screaming a bit.
We also did this with Buddy, and she has lessened the screaming a lot, so I'd recommend keeping on keeping on doing what you're doing. ;)
And loud noises. She seems to hate them.
I've noticed that also. My wife has hearing difficulties..so I must speak at a higher volume to her. The problem is that I believe Buddy thinks I'm yelling at my wife, and it upsets her. (Buddy)

Oh yes, when we adopted Buddy a couple of years ago, we were assured that he was a boy...and around 8 years old. Acouple of days before Christmas last year, he began to show signs that he was ill...the day after Christmas we rushed him to the AV...who did a sonogram...we were informed that Buddy was "eggspecting"...and she presented us with an egg on the 27th of December...:jawdrop1:

MotherOfBirbs

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to you and your flock! :)

Your birds are beautiful...and being a Dad to Nanday Buddy, I'm smitten by Annie. ;)

When Buddy arrived, she too was a bit of a biter...and screamer.

We also did this with Buddy, and she has lessened the screaming a lot, so I'd recommend keeping on keeping on doing what you're doing. ;)

I've noticed that also. My wife has hearing difficulties..so I must speak at a higher volume to her. The problem is that I believe Buddy thinks I'm yelling at my wife, and it upsets her. (Buddy)

Oh yes, when we adopted Buddy a couple of years ago, we were assured that he was a boy...and around 8 years old. Acouple of days before Christmas last year, he began to show signs that he was ill...the day after Christmas we rushed him to the AV...who did a sonogram...we were informed that Buddy was "eggspecting"...and she presented us with an egg on the 27th of December...:jawdrop1:
Oh gosh Buddy!! "eggspecting" haha Was there anything specific you did to stop the biting? I still wear winter gloves until I feel Annie is accepting of me haha. Today was the first day she stepped up onto bare hand. When she's in her cage there's no way getting her out. Complete territorial mode..so for now i leave the doors open and let her come out when she wants. Once she's out she's pretty good, curious but good about stepping up. Still nervous about her on my shoulder haha I allow her to be up there for a bit but then my fear takes over that she's going to bite my face.
She is very curious about my two teil girls, I'm still keeping them septate from each other until I am sure of Annies temperament and she is sure of me and her surroundings. I hope they can become friends. Like I said I'm a new Conure mom and they are very different from my teils!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. You have a beautiful flock!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm assuming Annie is still rather new to your home.
Was there anything specific you did to stop the biting?
When Buddy would bite our hands, we'd quickly bring our hand up and away from her mouth. That forced Buddy to try and keep her beak on our skin...or release her bite. The keys here...you must be quick...and the movement of your hand or body part being bitten must be up and away from Annie. If you're slow, or move your hand towards her, you could hurt her...and she'll get more of a grip on you. ;)
Still nervous about her on my shoulder haha I allow her to be up there for a bit but then my fear takes over that she's going to bite my face.
We don't allow birds on our shoulder for that reason. Oh, Milton da Too will try to come up on shoulders...but he's QUICKLY redirected elsewhere. We try to teach our birds the concept of "personal space"...our personal space is our shoulders, neck, and head. The birds know that we don't allow them in those spaces.
She is very curious about my two teil girls, I'm still keeping them septate from each other until I am sure of Annies temperament and she is sure of me and her surroundings. I hope they can become friends. Like I said I'm a new Conure mom and they are very different from my teils!
All of our littles...budgies, tiels, and Buddy...live in our living room. Their cages are lined up next to each other. Because of this, they peacefully co-exist together. During the day, cages are open...and remain open all day.
Like I said everybirdie gets along fine with each other...although there is no inter-species mingling. The tiels do like to come into Buddy's cage to steal her food, though...and since Buddy is very protective of her food, there are fireworks when a would be tiel thief attempts food burglary.
Buddy will chase them off...and then proceed to walk back and forth in front of her food bowls.

Buddy is also a "grumbler"...she grumbles all the time. It's not an unpleasant noise, just unexpected. She grumbles when she eats, plays...even when she's getting ready to sleep...:)

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Hello and welcome to you and your beautiful flock of 5! That’s wonderful you took in 3 birbs needing a good home :heart: Good luck to you- you’ve come to the right place!
:welcomeflag:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcomesign: to the Avenue, MotherOfBirbs! What a beautiful flock!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator