• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello - Possibly Newbie

Yoli

Moving in
Hello,
You may have read my introduction post on the Welcome page.
If not, here is a brief summary. I'm an experienced parrot owner and have owned several of parrots from Sun Concures, B&G Macaws, Cockatoos and Amazon, most of which we're reared and hand-fed by me. Life came along with marriage, children, divorce and well, life it self, I found myself having to find new homes for my feather babies. I have a heart for animals and it's actually the taking care of them that I enjoy most. My son says, I have an insatiable need to be nurturing and feeding something. LOL

I find myself soon to be an empty nester and will be living my with little four legged friend, a little dachshund, name Frank. I have found a lady nearby who is selling her 3 yr female Eclectus and was looking for someone who had experience with parrots. I went to see her and I and her beautiful baby girl bonded immediately. She actually come more to me than her owner.

Here is my question - Yes, I do work. My job takes me out of the house about 8-10 hours a day. I often times can work from home and there is even a possibility that I may be working from home permanently in the near future. Once home though, I don't generally have to many outside activities. Weekends are the same, except for the usual errands and church and an occasional social event.

Here's the question I'm sure if you could have a $1 for every time you heard this. How much time should your parrot be alone. This wasn't a problem back when I had several parrots because they would keep each other company. But now it does concern me. So do parrot owners not work??? Do only work from home people and retirees get to own birds? Surely, there must be people that own parrots and still get out there and earn an income to be able to feed themselves and their parrots?
If there is a thread out there on this subject that I should go to, please direct me.

Thank you,

Yoli

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Welcome... I do know that Electus are not an easy parrot as far a diet and their needs are concerned! Hopefully some of the other wonderful Paronts will chime in here that are owned by these amazing fids! They are known to pluck themselves as far as I am aware and could do so if left isolated... I’m sure you will gain some more info soon from here shortly!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi Yoli. Welcome to group :)

Guess it depends on what the bird is use to at present. If you're able to provide equal or more time than its currently getting thats great. If its substantially less id be concerned it might feel lonely and trigger other issues.

I do shiftwork myself. 6 weeks of any am and pm shifts 7 days a week and 2 weeks of nightduty any day of the week. My boy is very use to it. Its not possible for him to get 10-12hrs of sleep always as im home at 10pm and up at 5am next am at times. He does tend to run to my schedule even though its never regular.

I do have same routine always starts with a coffee (me) and almond (echo) then a shower. We always finish with shower even before my nightshift. I have had echo since 4 months old though so hes just learnt to fit in around us.

What i would suggest you do as your bird is 3 years old already is to find out what time is spent at present. If unable to give same time allow a transition phase were you can slowly decrease hours (i know this might not be achievable) to what you can actually provide. Guess the bird will be thrown out of whack a bit anyway with a new home and owner etc...

For my guy i leave the radio on. I change toys out before i leave for work. I give fruit/veg sticks all to help keep the little bugger busy. I also leave the dog in sometimes so he has a friend. Sometimes i change cage locatiom so he has something else to look at. I do gets lots of screaming at me if hes annoyed ive been gone too long or didn't take him with me. He screams the most when my hubby is home and im not even though hes let out.

I have noticed that the longer im home inbetween works days the less needy he is and does his own thing. Have had some teething issues but nothing serious.

Keep us posted with how you go.

CarlB

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Carl
Hi Yoli
My male eclectus of 22 years had other birds around him all day...African Grey, B & G Macaw, Cockatoo. So he had company despite all being in their own cages while we worked all day or went on vacation.
I always think it's great for any animal to have a buddy around during the day Even a small parakeet or cockatiel might be a good choice so your eclectic isn't alone all day if that's a concern. Easier upkeep too.
As far as diet, Boo Boo had Zupreem fruit pellets available all day and got a warm breakfast of mixed veggies, rice, bean, fruit and pasta. He was always beautiful, didn't pluck, and was very healthy.
I have no experience with a female eclectus, but hope to get one in the near future. I understand females are a little more active and can be nippy, but it depends on the bird as always. Boo Boo had his favorite person, but was great with everyone and never bit anyone ever
I really don't think you can go wrong bringing the little female eclectus into your home.