• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello New to the site and new to cockatoo's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm all for quarantine, but have no real clue how i'm suppose to do so in such a small house???
Sam is in the dinning room and gets put in the bedroom at night.

So if you were me where and how can I quarantine the new bird?
I live in a 1250sq home that has 3 bedroom and the living room, dinning room and kitchen is all one big open area?
My bedroom is quite large but Sam has his routine to come and sleep with us.

The other bedroom one is for my mother in law and can't have any animals in there she smokes.."wish she would quit" and the other bedroom is for my two kids.

If you have any ideals I'm up for it.
Read the quarantine thread Shyra posted the link to Marc. Lots of good info.

This may not be something you want to hear but bringing this cockatoo into your home is going to change the dynamics of everyone in the house birds and humans alike and "force" you to change routines. Everything will change and your going to have to adapt new routines for both birds. It "could" very well be hard on your Grey.

As I already mentioned your Grey is mate bonded to you. Showing "affection" to this cockatoo in the Grey's sight is not going to sit well and could also change his behavior. "Flirting" with the "competition" has the making of an all out war between them. Just sayin'.

stunter2b

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marc
This may not be something you want to hear but bringing this cockatoo into your home is going to change the dynamics of everyone in the house birds and humans alike and "force" you to change routines. Everything will change and your going to have to adapt new routines for both birds. It "could" very well be hard on your Grey.

As I already mentioned your Grey is mate bonded to you. Showing "affection" to this cockatoo in the Grey's sight is not going to sit well and could also change his behavior. "Flirting" with the "competition" has the making of an all out war between them. Just sayin'.
Thanks for the info and I plan on giving more love to my Grey and pretty much ignoring the Cockatoo that will be my wifes bird and we have to make sure she don't fall in love with me like the Grey did.:rolleyes: I didn't even want a bird at first I'm a dog person...but now I love this grey as much if not a bit more then my dog and that is shocking...

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
Hi and welcome :)

Do you have a basement you could quarantine her in? Or maybe make Sam's sleep area in the dining room temporarily? I am assuming Sam is in the living room all day? Maybe move her sleep cage temporarily? If not, the last resort I would do is put the new bird in the dining room and keep Sam in the living room so they can communicate but not be so close to each other. I would also recommend your wife cleans the new birds cage and feed her. It will show the new bird that your wife is her caregiver and she will be respected for that and it will increase her chances of having a stronger bond.

Congrats on your Too, they are wonderful birds :heart:

stunter2b

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marc
Well got some really sad news, today the owner was bringing us the Too and I guess they are NOT the smartest of people cause who in their right mind would transport a bird NOT in a cage anyway she texted us saying something scared the bird and it flew away outside...

Needless to say I'm pissed and my wife is crying.:( I still can't wrap my mind on what was going through her mind to carry a bird to the car without it being in a cage, and the kicker to the story is this is their second bird that has flown away, first one was a Congo and they got this bird to replace it...

So angry.

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
omg, I am so sorry! Unbelievable, your poor wife :( I don't blame you for being angry I would be too. I pray they find her and she is OK. Will they keep you updated and is anyone putting out fliers, posting CL, etc??

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry. I do hope they make the effort to try and find this poor bird. Inexcusable on their part. :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's some bullsh*t in this story somewhere.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. :huh:

That is most sad though, I am really sorry. I do hope they will look for the Cockatoo though. (and as mentioned, could you help if you aren’t too far?)

stunter2b

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marc

I really F/N hope so, the only thing wife and I are praying is that they lied to us, since they did have an add in the paper we are hoping that they finally found someone to buy her and that they sold her, rather then F/N loose her outside where she will be some things dinner...

Anyway I have to try and see this as a blessing, it wasn't meant to be who knows maybe this saved me a crap load of money, maybe because I was asking soo many question about this birds history on health and vet she panicked.. Only god and them really know WTF really went down.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.