• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!! New to lovebirds

Sophied1508

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sophie
Hello, I'm new to lovebirds, and haven't yet acquired any, but I'm looking for advise!

I've wanted lovebirds for a long long time - im a farmer and have bred fancy chickens, ducks, quail, geese (and obviously mammals) but never had a bird quite like a loveie.

Myself and my boyfriend have been looking for a little while, but wanting tame birds, have been put off by petshops due to them seeming to know nothing about them :mad:

I've found a breeder online not too far from myself who is ever so helpful and has just had a clutch hatch! I've been in contact with her, and she has just told me she has a 16week old for sale.

Ideally I wanted two initially, i am in most of the time, but aside from farming i also work part time, and i am out 2-3 night a week. I didnt want a single to get lonely :(
The breeder has indicated that it is much harder to tame when two are kept together, and suggested this single one she has.

I always figured if I had two together from the same hatch and spent the same amount of time with both then they could be tamed?

So my questions are as follows.

1. Is it better to have one or two birds, especially if wanting to tame them?

2. What is the best age to buy them at to start taming? I worry that the 16 week old won't have had enough attention :(

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I have a bunch of lovies. My tame birds stayed tame and have helped teach their friends that I'm not so scary.

I'd say getting birds of any age is fine, but they're more likely to like eachother when young. My Guzma was over a decade old when I got him, and he recently decided to start coming over to ride on my shoulder. Mims was three and very untame. I only got one of my birds as a baby.

Sophied1508

Real Name
Sophie
So if I were to get two from the same hatch I could potentially tame both?

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I would just say if you were to get two, I would recommend same gender(preferably male as hens are more likely to get into fights over territory) or two chicks from different parents in case they decide to breed or you always keep them separated during cage time. Also, you said you were a farmer, not sure how contagious exotic birds are to poultry but I would get the lovies tested. I was supposed to pick up my new lovebird today but I had taken precautions to get the bird tested before I brought it home with my current birds. The baby lovebird test came back positive for beak and feather disease, so I was unable to take the baby home and now the search continues. While researching lovebirds I've been advised to test lovebirds because they are so massed produce by some breeders and have higher chances of polyoma. Not saying this is always the case. Just sharing the disappointment I had yesterday when I got the news of the test results.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
So if I were to get two from the same hatch I could potentially tame both?
Yes, but I'd also advise trying to get a same sex pair if they're from the same parents/breeder.
I would also advise against two females, especially if you house them together. Both of my girls are extremely cage aggressive.
Even if you get a boy from one breeder and a girl from another, they may need their own homes. I currently have 5 cages in my room and one in the family room for my birds, and a spare just in case I need to split up a pair.

Sophied1508

Real Name
Sophie
Ok, but ultimately is it better to have one or two? Are they happier together?

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Think birds would always be happier together. Question is if you have time for BOTH of them. If not they would probably say "I don't need this human, birds club rules and humans drool." If you don't have time for both, I would probably just start with one or a stronger bond. You can always add one later but there will be no guarantee they will get along.

Sophied1508

Real Name
Sophie
Think birds would always be happier together. Question is if you have time for BOTH of them. If not they would probably say "I don't need this human, birds club rules and humans drool." If you don't have time for both, I would probably just start with one or a stronger bond. You can always add one later but there will be no guarantee they will get along.
Appreciate your advice, have to say it' a concern. I'm concerned that if I were to have two from the outset they both would hate me :sad11: but if I only got one it would be miserable!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Appreciate your advice, have to say it' a concern. I'm concerned that if I were to have two from the outset they both would hate me :sad11: but if I only got one it would be miserable!
My ex and I brought home a pair of brothers at the same time and caged them separately (they still got to come out and hang with each other, though the older didn’t want to be bothered by the younger) - and they bonded to us. I now have both in my household and the younger dislikes the older one but both are very loving to me. :)

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I wouldn't say it would be miserable if they had you and they wouldnt hate you, they may just like each other more so you may be the third wheel. As fluffly stated, its possible just depends how you raise your fids.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I brought my two Lovebirds home last July. I split the cost of DNA testing with my breeder so I could hopefully get two males. There ended up being two males and two females so I ended up buying both the males. So they were raised together and now live in the same cage together and are totally bonded and get along famously. I did want to explain, however, that it was never that important for me to have this special bonded relationship with my birds so that I could hold them and have them sleep on me or nestle into my clothing. I love my birds and get a lot of joy from them, but for me, I'm OK watching them play with each other and play by themselves. I open the cage door and they fly out and interact with each other, that's just fine with me. I just like watching them be "themselves" even though it doesn't involve me much. They totally know me and trust me to be around them, clean their cage rearrange their toys, change feeders..........they just won't fly too me or on me, and that's alright with me. But you may want more than that, and that is OK too.........you'll just have to work with them or it until you experience the tameness you are wanting from your bird.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
I got my lovies at different times with the first arriving a bit less than 2 years before the second.
While they live together now, after a fairly lengthy introduction period, the first is still incredibly bonded with me and would choose to be stuck to my shoulder rather than her cagemate.
It was easier to get the second to be okay flying to me or stepping up as he likely gathered that I wasn't a threat based on the original birds comfort level. That being said- he's much more devoted to his mate than to me and is not a very hands-on bird.
If you're home a lot and are able to meet the social needs of a single bird, I think you'll probably end up with a tamer bird going this route than having multiples. That being said, they do adore each other's constant company and attention. I would look to at least eventually upping it to 2 birds at some point in the future. Or perhaps try keeping them in separate cages like fluffypoptarts mentioned to try to get the best of both worlds.
As for the age - young birds are much more open to new scenarios and are curious creatures which makes them easier to tame. Keep in mind that they'll likely go through their equivalent of a teenager phase where they can temporarily turn in to little adorable terrors.

Best of luck regardless of your choice. :)

Mrs Featherton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cheri
Hi!

I was in your position 6 weeks ago.
Was not sure if I should be “selfish” and get one bird so that I could have a better shot at bonding, or get 2 males (did NOT want to deal with egg laying and all the issues that come with it) and have them be best buds.

I decided to do a DNA test at my expense and chose a single male lovie from my local breeder.

It’s been six weeks together now. The first 10 days I just gave him his space. Talked softly to him without really making eye contact... opened his cage each morning, let him come out on his own to explore. (He naturally would return to his cage around dusk) When I saw that he favored one or two spots to hang out on, I would leave a sprig of millet in that spot. No millet in his cage - I wanted him to only associate this tasty treat (bird crack, lol) with me and fun outside the cage. (Choose a bird food that does not contain millet!) After a few days I moved the sprig of millet closer and closer to where I was sitting so that he would have to get closer to me (by his own choice) in order to get his daily fix.
By day 10 I would put a tea towel on the sofa next to me and hold the end of the millet on the towel (to catch the crumbs) and he was perfectly fine nibbling millet with my hand so close. Just don’t make any sudden moves or try to pet him. Let him have TOTAL CONTROL. Soon the millet was on my lap and the bird was on my lap! Then the sprig got shorter and my fingers got closer... then a few seed clusters of millet were in my palm and there was a bird in my palm!

It took 5 weeks, but last week he actually came and lowered his head and rubbed it against my thumb, so I very slowly just slightly rubbed my thumb against his cheek... he has come over now every day and asks for scratches and I can now rub his head and cheeks and he falls sound asleep on me!!

But every move is directed by HIM. Never ever try to force affection, no sudden moves... his instinct is to BOND, and he has “chosen” me!! It’s adorable and wonderful and I’m pretty sure it would not have happened if I had brought home two lovies.

Hope this helps!

(Murphy on Mama!) 3EFF766E-86EE-4A74-AFE0-BD1BA13E5E00.jpeg