• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! New and Researching

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes a warm welcome to you. Please try not to get fixed on a certain species until you have personally interacted with multiple birds, preferable at a rescue. People are often disappointed when they make a decision from reading the internet. You also can have the option of fostering a parrot to see if its a good arrangement for both you and the bird. This is what @sunnysmom has done.

Here is a good read when you are thinking of taking a parrot into your life.

Flock Call - It's their choice

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Conures are total goofballs!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
And yes, you may be surprised if you go to meet birds who will choose you! Just beware.... Birds are addictive! I got my first last September, my sassy lovebird, and now I have four! (not all lovebirds.)

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
(I suspect because Caiques seem be ADHD/Jekyll and Hyde and Eclectus have very strict dietary restrictions, but we were overwhelmed by info and didn't ask for more details on why they weren't recommended specifically)
Also you normally see happy birds on youtube, they can be little terrors when they grow older with bad bites. They are adorable when babies though lol. Amazons in general can be a bit crazy but I like the other two suggestions they had.

One thing I noticed missing from your post is what you are looking for in a bird, typically species have some general common traits. So if you know what kind of interaction you want with your bird than I would start there.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Welcome! Research is great but meeting them is the only way to know. I wanted a cockatiel or a gray, ended up being picked by a Scarlet and later on a Jenday conure, neither of which I had expected until I met them.
What's your family's noise tolerance level? That could help you sort or certain species at the least. Diet is a big thing to research regardless of the species that you bring home. Oh and check out the bite thread, that's a good one that can help you think about beak size.

Lady

Meeting neighbors
Hah, you need to talk to @Fuzzy - her BHP, Kobe, is about as spicy as they get! She's done a LOT of work with him over several years to establish a better, less aggressive relationship.
I've been reading those threads and man, that is definitely an opinionated little bird! It's situations like that that really make me want to adopt an older bird so we already have a better idea of their temperament. Kobe sure is stinkin' cute, though.

Not sure where you are located but one of our members is helping someone rehome a Caique in Texas. @Laurie and @Irishj9 are 2 of our resident Caique experts
Thanks so much! Unfortunately, we're in Ohio and definitely no where close to ready to commit yet. We're still in the honeymoon phase of research where everyone is adorable and we haven't really settled on the daily reality yet. My husband is really in love with the Caiques, though, so I'll likely reach out to them in the future.

Yes a warm welcome to you. Please try not to get fixed on a certain species until you have personally interacted with multiple birds, preferable at a rescue. People are often disappointed when they make a decision from reading the internet. You also can have the option of fostering a parrot to see if its a good arrangement for both you and the bird.
I appreciate the link! I totally understand the warning of not getting too attached to any one species. Just because I like the idea of them doesn't mean they're going to be the right fit. I've found a few rescues within an hour drive of us so we can visit and get more exposure. My husband really likes the idea of hand raising, but I keep thinking about how nice it would be to be able to get an older bird and be their forever home. We're both 40 so if we brought home a baby, we would absolutely need to make arrangements for them after we go.

Just beware.... Birds are addictive!
Man they really are! It doesn't help that we're the type of people who want to bring every animal home all the time!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Thanks so much! Honestly, the biggest part of the research is to see if we would NOT be a good fit! I was gung ho on sugar gliders and chinchillas when I was younger...then I did my research and said "nope!" Super adorable, but just not the right match.
Aw I can’t speak for chinchillas but why not sugar gliders? I’m just curious lol I have six :D

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Oooops thought I had replied, but obviously not! A belated :welcomesign: from Kobe (glad you thought he was cute! :laugh:), me and the rest of the flock! The three rescue and rehome Amazons that live with us are so much easier than Kobe who I've had since he was a nipper (in both senses of the word! :roflmao:).

Caiques are gorgeous too. I remember going to a parrot show when I was doing my own research before ending up with Kobe. Two people recommended Caiques above any other parrot. However I had my budgie back then and I thought a Caique would probably beat him up. I was also surprised at how loud a Caique's alarm call is. One was sounding off next to a Cockatoo and drowned out the Cockatoo who was also screaming. :wideyed: But of course all birds are individuals. A close friend advised me not to give Ollie (Orange-winged Amazon) a home - she could never live with Orange-wing screaming (she has other Amazons). But actually it has never been a problem. He does scream but only for about 10 or 15 minutes in the morning.

Lady

Meeting neighbors
Aw I can’t speak for chinchillas but why not sugar gliders? I’m just curious lol I have six :D
It was definitely a "know thyself" situation. I am notorious for leaving toilet seats up! At the time, I also lived with other people, and you can't control the behaviors of other people, so even if I'd kept seats down, there was no telling if they would. There also weren't any exotic vets in my immediate area - the closest vet who might be able to help would have been a 3 hour drive. I was also in and out of town - usually in town, but I could be gone for a week at a time. Just not the right pets for me at that time in my life! (I wound up adopting rabbits instead :) ) They are ridiculously adorable, though.
Oooops thought I had replied, but obviously not! A belated :welcomesign: from Kobe (glad you thought he was cute! :laugh:), me and the rest of the flock! The three rescue and rehome Amazons that live with us are so much easier than Kobe who I've had since he was a nipper (in both senses of the word! :roflmao:).
Hello and thank you! He is a super cutie!

The more I read through threads, the more convinced I am that we should be getting an adult bird rather than a baby or young bird (IF we get a bird! Still need to make sure we would provide the right type of home environment.) I know we would both be absolutely heartbroken to raise a chick that might end up wanting nothing to do with us 2-10 years down the road. An adult will have their personality established, and we can choose each other together, rather than us trying luck of the draw with a baby.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

I wish you luck in your research to find the perfect fit for your family :)

I personally would recommend B&G's but I am biased :lol:
I do fully agree that letting the bird choose you is possibly the best way to choose who is right for your family.
I bought home a baby bird (who I think is just adorable and there is nothing I would ever change even if given the chance to), there have been many changes in his behavior and personality as he grows and learns and he has not even hit hormone age yet! I am prepared to accept him changing his mind about how much he loves me as he ages and learns but to be honest I make an effort every day to remind myself of the fact that he may not like me at all once hormones hit.

Lady

Meeting neighbors
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

I wish you luck in your research to find the perfect fit for your family :)

I personally would recommend B&G's but I am biased :lol:
Hello, and thank you! :) Macaws are stunning birds but, not gonna lie, those beaks are intimidating!

I came to the site thinking I'd find the right type of bird to bring home, and I'm finding I've learned more about birds and myself. I'm so thankful for all the incredible information on this forum board.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think parrots, more than any other "pet", really require you to have a really good understanding of what you're capable of dealing with. It's not unusual for them to work out exactly which of your buttons to press to get a reaction - whether it's making an annoying noise for hours, flying to an area that they know is off limits, throwing their food or dumping out their water bowls...

Better that you work out now that you can't tolerate the noises one species makes, or that you'd find it exhausting keeping up with a high energy bird, or that you'd find it challenging to deal with bluffing or nippiness than when you've brought a bird home and are thinking "HELP!"

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know where you are in Ohio, but Parrot Hope Rescue in Mantua OH is a good rescue and might be a good place to go and meet some birds to see what kind you like.

Lady

Meeting neighbors
Better that you work out now that you can't tolerate the noises one species makes, or that you'd find it exhausting keeping up with a high energy bird, or that you'd find it challenging to deal with bluffing or nippiness than when you've brought a bird home and are thinking "HELP!"
I agree 100%

I don't know where you are in Ohio, but Parrot Hope Rescue in Mantua OH is a good rescue and might be a good place to go and meet some birds to see what kind you like.
Unfortunately, we're a 4-5 hour away from them. But I was able to find three rescues within a 1-1.5 hour drive. The one that had the most information was The Charlie Brown Bird Rescue in Columbus, OH.

LynnInColorado

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lynn
:hello1:and welcome from Colorado!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've drawn a blank with any registries. If you Facebook then search for the 'Canadian Parrot Breeders' group and ask them? Only other thing I can think of it could be an import from California.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I agree 100%

Unfortunately, we're a 4-5 hour away from them. But I was able to find three rescues within a 1-1.5 hour drive. The one that had the most information was The Charlie Brown Bird Rescue in Columbus, OH.
Here in Cleveland we have a A Parrot to a Flamingo. I really don't know much about them but I have looked at their website and they have a strict vetting process. I got my birds from In a Pickle and they often have birds for rehoming, although they are primarily a breeder/bird supply shop. Just wanted to throw those in since you mentioned Columbus.