• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! New and Researching

Lady

Meeting neighbors
My husband has wanted a bird for a long time, and now that we own a house and have been watching YouTube videos, he has recently gone into bird overdrive. I've always loved the beauty of birds, but never gave much thought to getting one as I had little experience, and had only ever heard negative things.

So we are now in the land of research! There is a breeder with a shop about 20 minutes from us, which has proven to be a great source of education. After discussing our newness to birds plus what we think of as good traits, they recommended the following:
-Blue Fronted Amazon
-Blue Headed Pionus
-Quaker

Two birds we both are interested in that were mentioned to us, and we saw, but weren't immediately recommended are:
-Caique
-Eclectus
(I suspect because Caiques seem be ADHD/Jekyll and Hyde and Eclectus have very strict dietary restrictions, but we were overwhelmed by info and didn't ask for more details on why they weren't recommended specifically)

So I'll be poking around in several threads learning as much as possible. Thank you in advance to anyone who reads this intro and has any information they can share!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA. There is plenty of information on this forum and the members are anxious to answer any questions you may have. Just from what I have read from the members here who have a Caique, I think one would drive me nuts pretty quickly. They are cute little devils, but little devils they are. I wonder that the breeder would have recommended a Blue Front Amazon to you. the Double Yellow Head, Yellow Naped and Blue Front - males - are known as the "Hot Three" and are pretty spicy when hormonal and other times too. That said the Amazons are one of the most satisfying parrots to own. They have lots and lots of personality and are noted as the second best talkers.

Just interact with as many parrots as you can and get the one that really appeals to you the most.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Or let the parrot choose you......

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

Good luck on your journey to finding your companion :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I recommend finding somewhere to interact with some adult birds so you have any idea of what your baby will grow up to be like. All babies are super cute and generally easy- adult birds can be a whole different ball game. And it's not one that the breeder mentioned, but cockatiels are really great birds.

Lady

Meeting neighbors
Just from what I have read from the members here who have a Caique, I think one would drive me nuts pretty quickly. They are cute little devils, but little devils they are. I wonder that the breeder would have recommended a Blue Front Amazon to you. the Double Yellow Head, Yellow Naped and Blue Front - males - are known as the "Hot Three" and are pretty spicy when hormonal and other times too.
I was really surprised at the Amazon recommendation, as well. Her rationale was that they have the easiest to read body language. Body language is definitely something we need to learn, but I'd personally rather learn it by meeting lots of birds rather than total trial and error. I believe the person we were talking to wasn't the breeder/owner, but was an employee, but I'm not 100% sure. We'll be back to talk to other people and continue visiting with the birds.

My husband wants a clown/ham of a bird who may have a naughty streak, so he is super drawn to the Caique. But I know they're not the only playful birds out there!

Thanks so much for the reply!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Rescues, if there are any near you, are a great place to meet lots of different birds. They will range from birds that have been almost ruined by their past owners, to birds that have had wonderful owners and are just looking for a new home and ne w owner to love.

Rainbow Lorikeets are silly fools too, as are Goffins, Bare Eyed cockatoos and Blue and Gold Macaws.

I highly recommend a mature bird that needs a new home - and as @Clueless said it would be nice if one choses you.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Welcome to AA! I definitely agree, the best thing you can do is interact with adult parrots, babies are as representative of adult parrots as infants are of adult humans. I would also read through the good the bad and the ugly threads in the respective forums of each species you are interested in. There’s so much good information here, and of course ask questions, AA is a living resource :) we’re all happy to help and glad to have you here!

WendyBird258

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy Mangum
I have a Blue Headed Pionus and I am a new bird owner (1 year now) :) She has been PERFECT for our family!! She is relatively quiet, loves to just hang out and watch YouTube with you, or snuggle and kiss. I absolutely adore her! I cannot say enough good things about the Blue Headed Pionus...especially as a new bird owner (have always just had dogs)....She is a doll. I am sure you are aware, they aren't big talkers. That was a big thing we liked about them, but it is definitely important to identify what criteria you want and need in a bird. Like space you have for a cage. If you have company over, family, small chidlren, etc... and need a bird that is cool going to anyone. How much of a talker you want. How active of a bid you want. How loud of a bird you want. etc... Make your list really specific and see what type of birds you fall at then. Once you have that list, it is then best to go and meet those types of birds. You need to pick one another :) We thought a Caique would fit the bill for us and then we met our girl, and it all changed. Good luck!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was really surprised at the Amazon recommendation, as well. Her rationale was that they have the easiest to read body language. Body language is definitely something we need to learn, but I'd personally rather learn it by meeting lots of birds rather than total trial and error. I believe the person we were talking to wasn't the breeder/owner, but was an employee, but I'm not 100% sure. We'll be back to talk to other people and continue visiting with the birds.

My husband wants a clown/ham of a bird who may have a naughty streak, so he is super drawn to the Caique. But I know they're not the only playful birds out there!

Thanks so much for the reply!
As @Hankmacaw mentioned, if you want a clown, Goffins definitely fall into that category. Mine makes me laugh everyday. And the more I laugh, the more he'll do it. (So you really have to be careful at what you laugh it.) He is a ball of nonstop energy though. Cockatoos aren't for everyone but that is another species to consider.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck in your decision. I wanted to comment that I am not aware that caiques have any special dietary restrictions. I had a pair for 7 years that ate pellets, a quality seed mix and chop. (Oops, editing to say that I realize you meant Ekkies have dietary restrictions.) But you can see in the "good, bad and ugly section" that I re-homed them with a parrot behaviorist when my female became intensely aggressive and I had exhausted all my personal options. But my male was a gem for those 7 years. I would have happily kept him but for their happiness, I could not separate them.

And per @Hankmacaw, Amazons can be very "spicy" but rewarding. My friend's BH pionus is beautiful, sweet and quiet, not clownish at all.

Lady

Meeting neighbors
Rainbow Lorikeets are silly fools too, as are Goffins, Bare Eyed cockatoos and Blue and Gold Macaws.

I highly recommend a mature bird that needs a new home - and as @Clueless said it would be nice if one choses you.

I definitely agree, the best thing you can do is interact with adult parrots, babies are as representative of adult parrots as infants are of adult humans. I would also read through the good the bad and the ugly threads in the respective forums of each species you are interested in. There’s so much good information here, and of course ask questions, AA is a living resource :) we’re all happy to help and glad to have you here!
I've always preferred getting adult pets, myself, because you already know what their general personalities will be. With babies, you never know what you'll get! This forum has been an incredible source of information, and I really appreciate everyone's kindness and willingness to share their stories in the threads.

That was a big thing we liked about them, but it is definitely important to identify what criteria you want and need in a bird. Like space you have for a cage. If you have company over, family, small chidlren, etc... and need a bird that is cool going to anyone. How much of a talker you want. How active of a bid you want. How loud of a bird you want. etc... Make your list really specific and see what type of birds you fall at then. Once you have that list, it is then best to go and meet those types of birds. You need to pick one another :)
I've been leaning Blue Headed Pionus for the very reasons you've listed! We're both okay with a bird that doesn't talk (we view talking as a bonus), and neither of us wants a screamer. We both want a bird that wants to spend time with us and enjoys interacting, and will be okay with people other than us. We'd both enjoy one that's interested in snuggling, though that's not a specific deal breaker. I'd prefer a more laidback bird, my husband wants one a little spicier.

As @Hankmacaw mentioned, if you want a clown, Goffins definitely fall into that category. Mine makes me laugh everyday. And the more I laugh, the more he'll do it. (So you really have to be careful at what you laugh it.) He is a ball of nonstop energy though. Cockatoos aren't for everyone but that is another species to consider.
I hadn't heard of Goffin before, so I'll definitely start researching them! Thank you both for the information!

Overall, it sounds like the absolute best thing we can do (besides continuing to read all the forum posts!) is get ourselves out to some sancuaries/rescues. The more exposure the better.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've always preferred getting adult pets, myself, because you already know what their general personalities will be. With babies, you never know what you'll get! This forum has been an incredible source of information, and I really appreciate everyone's kindness and willingness to share their stories in the threads.

I've been leaning Blue Headed Pionus for the very reasons you've listed! We're both okay with a bird that doesn't talk (we view talking as a bonus), and neither of us wants a screamer. We both want a bird that wants to spend time with us and enjoys interacting, and will be okay with people other than us. We'd both enjoy one that's interested in snuggling, though that's not a specific deal breaker. I'd prefer a more laidback bird, my husband wants one a little spicier.

I hadn't heard of Goffin before, so I'll definitely start researching them! Thank you both for the information!

Overall, it sounds like the absolute best thing we can do (besides continuing to read all the forum posts!) is get ourselves out to some sancuaries/rescues. The more exposure the better.

My Goffin :

elvis ceiling fan.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hah, you need to talk to @Fuzzy - her BHP, Kobe, is about as spicy as they get! She's done a LOT of work with him over several years to establish a better, less aggressive relationship.

Pionus aren't really snuggly birds. Leia would be horrified if I tried to cuddle her. That said, she's decided that she'd like about 30 minutes wind-down time before she goes to bed and would like this to be spent on my shoulder while I read on the sofa. She tucks one foot up, fluffs up and has a little snooze on me.

Pis do have a gently clownish side to them. Leia especially enjoys hanging off curtains.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are looking for a bird who can have a silly side and are playful also check out Poicephalus species such as Senegals and Red-bellied parrots.