• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! I've got a complicated Cockatiel.

Katalina

Moving in
Hello all!
I've been lurking around reading a lot of really helpful posts here, but I have to admit I have a few more questions than I've found answers for. I apologize in advance if this is too long.
So the backstory: December of last year (2018) I re-homed a 9 year old cockatiel. I'm at least his 3rd home and I plan to be his last stop. I got very little information about the little guy, and was even misinformed about his gender. (It's how he has the name Yuna) I took him to a vet a month or so afterwards and he got a clean bill of health! :)
Unfortunately as a first time bird owner, I may have been a little to excited at the opportunity to bring a friend home, and I may have bitten a little bit more than I can chew. He's got a few missing toes, poor grip, and one of his wings simply doesn't grow flight feathers (the other wing is totally normal). He's hand tamed (sorta), he'll step up on your finger, but he's usually not terribly willing, so I only bother him about it when it's time for bed. (He has a sleeping cage in a quieter corner of the home than his daytime cage.) I knew about his disability beforehand, and I read up as much as possible. Unfortunately he has also had quite a number of other issues going on, some of which I know how to deal with, some I don't.
Phew, okay, so now for the actual questions I need help with.
He spooks a lot, and sometimes throws himself from my hand, or the cage. Sometimes when he lands his poor little face gets beat up. Can I do anything to stop that from happening? It has even happened on carpeted floors. Should I trim the good wing so maybe he's not so lopsided?
He only kind of knows how to bathe. I've had the best luck with the spray bottle, but it takes a lot of coaxing, and the last time he never once did the little bath dance I know birds do. He gets dusty and I wish I could bathe him more often. Is there anything that can help with that? Bird videos will not work. He just screams at them, and screams at the outside birds any time they sound remotely close. He wouldn't use a dish, and the sink didn't work either.
I could probably ask even more questions but these have been my biggest problems.
Many thanks in advance.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Hi and welcome to AA! Thank you for giving this sweet little bird a home. If you are sure his wing won’t grow feathers ever, I would probably trim his other wing to keep him from being so lopsided. White noise in the house might help him from becoming startled too.

As for baths, cockatiels can be very picky. My birds only bathe in the morning, on sunny days, in a certain shallow pan, with fairly cold water. I spray them gently from above to get them in the mood, and I have to make a big show about it. It’s okay if your bird only takes a bath once in a while. Tiels in Australia don’t take baths very much. It’s mostly beneficial because it raises the humidity around them, so hanging out in the shower while you are in there would actually be even better. I have a very light misting spray bottle, and I just give my birds a few squirts every once in a while throughout the day. They don’t seem to mind this at all since I spray above them so the water can fall on them gently. You’ll have to post pictures of your little guy!

Katalina

Moving in
Unfortunately no, his wing won't ever grow feathers on that side. According to the previous owners it's a birth defect. I'm just nervous because I don't think he's ever had his wings clipped, so he may not enjoy the process/end result. On the other hand I can't help feeling like it could definitely be a factor for why he can't quite stick a landing.

They do sound pretty picky! xD It's honestly a bit of a relief to know other cockatiels are fussy about baths too. I may have to take up that periodic misting idea! :)

You are also completely right! I forgot to show him off! lol Despite our bumps in the road so far, I adore the little dork.
1. His fully feathered side at home
2. His other side waiting at the vets. xD IMG_20190220_201852654.jpg Screenshot_20190427-011434.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum,

He is a very beautiful bird ❤

I am anti clipping BUT you say the other flight feathers never grow, so it is best to trim the others to match and give the bird balance.

Do not do this yourself, get a vet or other professional to do it.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Yuna! :)

Kudos for taking him in...special needs birds are definitely a challenge.

He spooks a lot, and sometimes throws himself from my hand, or the cage. Sometimes when he lands his poor little face gets beat up. Can I do anything to stop that from happening?
Some tiels are more skiddish than others..it sounds like Yuna is one of those more nervous types. Obviously it's hard to determine what could make him "spook" at times...so you'll have to be even more vigilant to anticipate him getting upset enough that he'll try to escape a perceived "danger."

I don't know if I'd trim Yuna's "good" wing or let it be.Trimming won't help him stick a landing any better than him having a full feathered wing, IMO.

As for bathing, it's always been a crap shoot with our tiels...most accept misting- at times! We attempt misting about once every 10 days or so....and even if they accept misting, it's never a "complete" wetting down...not like Milton (U2) and Buddy (Nanday Conure)...those two SIT under the shower spray for as long as you let them...Milty is famously obsessed with "WET"...and carries on conversations with the wash cloths and bars of soap. :rolleyes:

The only time our tiels spontaneously bathe is when we use the vacuum cleaner...when we use it, they start to bathe furiously...:wideyed:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I agree go to the vet and get the other side clipped. They will be able to see from the other side what is missing and clip him accordingly so his balance will improve.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. My cockatiel had the flight feathers missing from his one side too. He adjusted just fine to it. So, I'm a little hesitant to say have the other side clipped. I wonder if his bad landings have more to do with his toes.... Also, my tiel didn't like to step up on fingers but would step up on the back of my hand with my hand out flat. Do you have any platform perches or rope perches for him. That might be easier on his feet for him. He really is a handsome boy. Thank you for helping him.

Katalina

Moving in
Thank you for the warm welcome from everyone! :)

The only time our tiels spontaneously bathe is when we use the vacuum cleaner...when we use it, they start to bathe furiously...:wideyed:
That's hilarious! xD
Good news is that just by slowing down and trying to pay more attention to anything that could frighten Yuna in and of itself has helped to reduce his jumping habit!

Also, my tiel didn't like to step up on fingers but would step up on the back of my hand with my hand out flat. Do you have any platform perches or rope perches for him.
That's a really good idea! My local pet store doesn't have those kinds of perches, but I think with my next paycheck I'll be ordering some online.
He seemed a little confused by the back of my hand, but I still like the idea, and I'll see if I can't modify that/work with him on that, so thank you~

As for the wing clipping I think I'll hold off for the time being and just see if I can't improve the situations causing him to jump first. If all else fails we can at least go to a vet and get it done the once and see how well he fares before deciding to do it more regularly. I think the less stress for Yuna the better~! :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award