• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello. I am new to this site. I am a new bird owner. I rescued my lovebird, Boo, 4 days ago.

Scorch

Strolling the yard
I'm not experienced at all but when I had two budgies, Sky and Violet, I would read to them to get them used to my voice. Also, they seemed to get calm just sitting there listening, with only some occasional chirps when the story is getting good :roflmao:. Also, they weren't comfortable with me feeding them by opening the cage so I would start by feeding them through the bars then eventually they trusted me enough to let me feed them with the cage door open. Unfortunately, I had to give them up as I was moving abroad but I made sure to get them a good home. Good luck with Boo!

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Try sprouting some seeds..........my two little guys love sprouted seeds. They like that it's seed, I like that it's sprouted so lots of power packed nutrition, but in a seed that they are familiar with. Don't give up on vegetables, try offering in a variety of fun ways. Tucked into the bars and toys and hanging on a skewer. Move the skewer around and change where you tuck the vegetables. Mine like baby Romaine and baby lettuces, they still are really picky with vegetables.

Bimbo

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
carrol
Hi Everybody.. This is an update on Boo. I've learned a lot.. I've moved his cage, half to the window, half to the wall. I Did discover why he had the traumatic 'freak last week'. 5 wild turkeys have been hanging around, I only saw them on Tuesday. When I'm home, I leave the blinds open, when I have to leave for the afternoon, I close the blinds. The turkeys are too friendly, but they don't stay long. Boo likes classical music- so I play that a lot for him. It really calms him. He doesn't like CNN :) .. He has been nibbling on a strawberry that I wedge though the wires. His blue feathers are starting to brighten up, especially in his tail. He's very content and happy. I can actually put my hand in his cage without him flaying about. I am very pleased with his progress. I now have him on a bedtime schedule, I cover his cage just before 8:30 and uncover it 7:30-8 am. As a bonus, he enjoys quiet time early morning just as I do. I have my coffee and do my Facebook and emails, no tv, no noise. Just me and Boo enjoying an hour of quiet time. I wasn't able to stop at the Pet store and another perch and a toy last week, but its on my to-do list.
Thanks for all of the advise and suggestions. Enjoy your weekend. Love and Light..
Boo and Bim

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like you are making excellent progress with Boo.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds very good. I put my budgies to bed at 6:30 pm because that is the time they go up to where they sleep. They really put themselves to bed. Birds need a quality sleep for about 12 hours with no noises like a TV or human voices. Budgies don't seem to eat much fruit. I have tried so many times to get them to eat berries.

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
Hi Everybody.. This is an update on Boo. I've learned a lot.. I've moved his cage, half to the window, half to the wall. I Did discover why he had the traumatic 'freak last week'. 5 wild turkeys have been hanging around, I only saw them on Tuesday. When I'm home, I leave the blinds open, when I have to leave for the afternoon, I close the blinds. The turkeys are too friendly, but they don't stay long. Boo likes classical music- so I play that a lot for him. It really calms him. He doesn't like CNN :) .. He has been nibbling on a strawberry that I wedge though the wires. His blue feathers are starting to brighten up, especially in his tail. He's very content and happy. I can actually put my hand in his cage without him flaying about. I am very pleased with his progress. I now have him on a bedtime schedule, I cover his cage just before 8:30 and uncover it 7:30-8 am. As a bonus, he enjoys quiet time early morning just as I do. I have my coffee and do my Facebook and emails, no tv, no noise. Just me and Boo enjoying an hour of quiet time. I wasn't able to stop at the Pet store and another perch and a toy last week, but its on my to-do list.
Thanks for all of the advise and suggestions. Enjoy your weekend. Love and Light..
Boo and Bim

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
Hello again..... Boo has finally learned to trust me a bit.. He gradually moves closer to me. Yesterday, he fluttered over my head wanting to land. after the 3rd or 4th time.. He did land on my head.. several times.
So.. here is my new problem-- I let him out of his cage at least twice a day. He loves sitting on the window sill, last night he discovered a new spot.. in my crystal vase filled with white flowers and sparkling twigs which sits in front of a mirror. I made several attempts to get him into his cage unsuccessfully.. At 9, I gave up thinking he would eventually go to his cage.. I was up at 10 looking for my cough drops and he had disappeared.. he was back on the window sill, the blinds were drawn so it took me about 5 minutes to find him. I believe he was sleeping.. Still unsuccessful getting him into his cage.. I went to sleep.. I woke at 5 to turn some heat on, Boo is sitting on Top of his cage.. It is now 11:13 am, he's been free since 7:30 last evening. What do I do? How do I get him back into his cage--he would let me tough him.. he goes airborne when I reach my hands out.. Always open for suggestions.. he can't remain free 24 hours a day... Help!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would remove that vase , even if the materials inside are safe he could het stuck(at least, in the most common vases I know a bird could easily get stuck:). Where does he eat? Don’t give him food outside his cage. A treat is okay, but limit them so he can’t Fill up on them. Is his cage an attractive place to be with toys and foraging opportunities? If his cage is a boring place, he won’t want to go in:)
Also, how do you get him in his cage? If for example you ask him to step up, and then put him in his cage, he could learn that stepping up means going back. So make sure you ask him to step up more often and reward a couple times every time he is out. That way he Will still come to you to step up:)

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
I removed the vase & its contents.. its quite large so he would never get stuck, he loved the glitter twigs and the flowers..He will no let my hands near to him. His cage is quite active with lots of toys- he does enjoy playing with his toys. he eats in his cage, never out of it. He was loving his freedom.. I did trick him.. I took one glitter twig and put it in his cage, then he went in.. I gave him sliced almonds as a treat.. I eventually removed the glitter twig. I haven't let him out today and he won't be out of his cage this evening. This is the first time he has refused to go back into his cage.
Thanks for the suggestions.. certainly appreciate it.. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What do you mean by a glitter twig? A twig with glitter on it? It may not be safe for him so don't put that back in his cage. Use treats he likes such as the almond slices. You may have to work with him with a dowel or t-stick and get him to step up on that to get him back in his cage.

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
Hello my friends.. Boo has made excellent progress over the past 3 months. He is very comfortable with me. Wednesday , July 18th, He 'blew' past me when I opened my door and disappeared in a flash.. ( sorry, I'm not sure what's going on with my laptop changing font size).. I'm surrounded by woods and lots of wild birds. He was fairly close all that afternoon (day 1) and would answer me, but would not come home. I was sure he would be back at his bedtime-- I even sang his favorite song to him. Nothing. I have his cage on the front step, lots of food in it and water and treats. He joined a flock of robin's. Saturday afternoon, there was a Boo sighting on the other side of our small town. Off I went, I saw him, he saw me, he heard me.. the more I called for him and talked to him, he would fly further away from me--up and across the road for over 30 minutes. He's really enjoying his freedom and his new friends. He does not want to come home or to come to me. I wonder if he will eventually return? if he does return home, will he be the same bird and content to live inside and in his cage.. I fear not. It will be 7 days tomorrow since he disappeared. I feel that all I can do I 'wait and see'.. I was positive he would follow my voice and come to me - broken hearted that he chose his new buddies instead of me. (again, sorry for all of the different fonts, my lop top is loaded with 'hot keys'. ) I truly believe that I've done everything I can, but I am open to suggestions... I even left his cage under the cherry tree when he was first spotted... but I now have it home and back on the step with a trail camera beside it :arghh:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That is so scary! Our green cheek was out for several hours one day and I was beside myself! I can't begin to imagine what you're going through. :sadhug2: And to keep seeing him would be a relief, but also very frustrating.

Sometimes even if a bird wants to come to you it can be harder for them to fly downward than it is to fly upward. And I've read that even if they are calling to you or singing up a storm, that once they see you they get quiet because they feel safe. Not helpful, birds! I only found Pistachio because I happened to see his white eyering peeking our from behind some leaves. :facepalm: What finally worked for us is my husband held his keys up & jingled them. 'Stachi managed to hop down a few branches despite the wind until my husband could finally reach him. Not sure if he knew it was the "off-limits keys", because they were shiny & sounded like a toy, or he was just very curious. I'm not sure if any of this will be helpful; just hoping it may help you think of a solution.

I like the idea of having his cage out for him, and the camera is a great idea. I hope it works when he realizes being a wild bird isn't as fun as he thinks. Those birds actually have to work for their food, Boo, you've got it easy at home.

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
Re: first sighting on Saturday afternoon, the owner of the tree he was in was able to get a picture.. he wouldn't come to me then.. about a half hour later he was across at our Adventure Center... walking trail and boat launch area... he was on the ground and people were talking to him, but he flew into the trees before I was able to get there.. Its about a 10 minute drive from my home. So, he is able to fly down -- He's just to comfortable with his freedom and wants nothing to do wit me.. and I'm assuming he's learning survival techniques from his new friends.. Devastating is the right word. Thanks for responding. <3

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
The weird thing is.... Boo has Never made an attempt to escape before.. He trained easily.. but I worked and played and sang to him every day. He loved to hang out with me/ on me.. Just the day before he escaped, he actually stepped on my finger and walked up my hand... although he is still terrified of hands..so, I was impressed.. and Now he's gone. I'll leave his cage out for another week, shut the outside light off and say a survival prayer for him .. Thank you again.