• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello. I am new to this site. I am a new bird owner. I rescued my lovebird, Boo, 4 days ago.

Bimbo

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
carrol
Boo is 4 months old and I am his 3rd owner. I have absolutely no experience with birds- period. Boo was Never trained. I have to approach his cage with caution as he is extremely timid and startles easily. I opened his cage door on day 2 to give him a piece of apple. He had a major freak out. I've googled and read so much on lovebirds the past few days, my head is a bit dizzy with information.
His last home was in a dark living room with a tv for company. My living room is bright, lots of sunlight from dusk to dawn, lots of green plants and brightly coloured flowers. I have his cage sitting in front of a large window that gets the morning sun- so, its not to hot for him.. I've made a commitment, I cannot pass him off to yet another home.. I want him to at least like me. The past two days, I have been spending 5-10 minutes through out the day, quietly talking to him. I am open to suggestions so that he actually likes me and hopefully, trust me. I would love for him to someday, jump on my hand so I can actually hold him. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Thank-you for committing to Boo and working to understand him.
One thing that might help right away is to NOT have his cage in front of a window. He is a prey animal and being in front of a window he feels exposed and unsafe. Move the cage so it is at most only partly in the window, and preferably backs to a wall. Put a perch up high in the back corner and put toys in front of it so he can hide.
Keep doing what you are doing to make friends.
Check out clicker training/positive reinforcement and Barbara Heidenreich, you will reach your goal!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thank you for rescuing 'Boo'. I think what you are doing is the correct approach. Just remind yourself that it is going to take awhile to gain his trust. I got my bare eye cockatoo seven months ago and he is just starting to step up on my hand. He was very scared at first and it take some time for him to adjust to me, my cats, and my home.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and thank you for rescuing Boo. Post some photos of him if he is comfortable with the camera.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Congrats and thank you for taking him in. :) All but one of my lovies are from pretty bad places, so I can tell you from experience that you're in for a wild (And sometimes physically painful) ride.

Two things my rescues enjoy are natural perches and soft toys they can snuggle against, especially if it's a hanging toy that's set up where they sleep. Boo might appreciate something like that, and a toy's much safer than a hut.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Welcome Carrol and congrats on getting Boo!

Until he settles in you can try placing a small blanket over one side of his cage so he feels safe and secure.

Most of all it just takes patience and time!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We all appreciate you taking in Boo. We all are here to help you on this journey of understanding and caring for a companion bird. A little FYI . UV light is blocked by window glass. In nice weather we try to get our birds in natural sunshine outdoors. Some use indoor lighting made for birds but its controversial how effective it is. Some supplement vit D mixed with calcium.

Your home sounds wonderful for a bird.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Congratulations on your little "Boo". That name cracks me up!:joyful: You will find plenty of help here on AA for you and your new little ward. I guess the biggest piece of advice I have to give is that it will probably take some time for Boo to start feeling safe and secure and to develop trust in you. It certainly can take weeks and even months (and sometimes years) for rescue birds to start feeling safe and to start interacting with you. Just sitting next to his cage and talking, singing, and reading to him will go a long ways towards breaking the ice. My birds get really quiet and move towards me when I read to them. Also if I sing (not pretty to human ears, LOL) softly, they seem to really like that and cock their heads to the side and listen. Also using Millet for training and rewards works well. They absolutely love millet........but it is very addicting so I reserve it for rewards and special treats.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s going to take time. I don’t have lovebirds, but I’ve had cockatiels for 15 years, give or take one or two yrs. It’s key for anyone adopting to take it slow and easy. Let Boo show you the pace at the he wants to get to know you. You have the right idea by sitting by him and talking for a while. What do you know of his diet. I hope it’s not all seed. I have all my boys on Harrisons pellets with a treat of a Pelletberry in the morning and a pinch of millet at supper time.

I think being in front of the big window is too much. Can you put in up against a wall where he can see your family move about the house. That would be more comfortable, I think. My boys are against the wall in the family room and they can see everything. If it was too much, I’d move them.

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
It’s going to take time. I don’t have lovebirds, but I’ve had cockatiels for 15 years, give or take one or two yrs. It’s key for anyone adopting to take it slow and easy. Let Boo show you the pace at the he wants to get to know you. You have the right idea by sitting by him and talking for a while. What do you know of his diet. I hope it’s not all seed. I have all my boys on Harrisons pellets with a treat of a Pelletberry in the morning and a pinch of millet at supper time.

I think being in front of the big window is too much. Can you put in up against a wall where he can see your family move about the house. That would be more comfortable, I think. My boys are against the wall in the family room and they can see everything. If it was too much, I’d move them.

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
Boo*s diet has been only seeds..I tried him with a piece of apple -- he did not like my hand in his cage at all.. and the apple set there all afternoon, untouched by Boo.. so I removed it.. I am going to the city tomorrow and will stop at the pet store for new perches and probably new toys..My friend has 2 lovebirds, they love scrambled eggs and different vegetables. Thanks so much for your import :)

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
[QUOTE="Bimbo, post: 2804213, member: 26269"... Thank you so very much.. Being a bird mom is all new to me.. I moved his cage so that part of it is in the window and part of it is against the wall.. I am the only family member he has. I've learned to approach his cage gently so not to spook him. I plan on being patient with him, so he will *at the very least* like hanging out with me. This is all new to me and I've read to be patient with him.. I will gradually introduce him to different veggies & foods and new toys.. So far, today, he appears content with his cage move. when I picked him up, his cage was in a dark corner with a TV on for company. I started a better bedtime routine for him a few nights ago -- also new to him. Thank you for your input :)

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
Congratulations on your little "Boo". That name cracks me up!:joyful: You will find plenty of help here on AA for you and your new little ward. I guess the biggest piece of advice I have to give is that it will probably take some time for Boo to start feeling safe and secure and to develop trust in you. It certainly can take weeks and even months (and sometimes years) for rescue birds to start feeling safe and to start interacting with you. Just sitting next to his cage and talking, singing, and reading to him will go a long ways towards breaking the ice. My birds get really quiet and move towards me when I read to them. Also if I sing (not pretty to human ears, LOL) softly, they seem to really like that and cock their heads to the side and listen. Also using Millet for training and rewards works well. They absolutely love millet........but it is very addicting so I reserve it for rewards and special treats.

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
Thank you.. when I brought him home, his head was like being on a swivel, taking in everything in my bright, sunshiny home, with lots of green plants and brightly coloured flowers. I cant whistle, but he does respond to my kissing sounds and chats back with me-- trying to mock me. I never thought of reading to him-- unfortunately a huge task for me due to complications from a head injury, its most difficult for me to read for now. hopefully with therapy- this will dissipate. I thinking training and treats will be in the future, hopefully, sooner than later.. Many thanks :) ... oh, btw, my family nickname is Bimbo, so my sisters call to check on Bim and Boo :)

Bimbo

Real Name
carrol
We all appreciate you taking in Boo. We all are here to help you on this journey of understanding and caring for a companion bird. A little FYI . UV light is blocked by window glass. In nice weather we try to get our birds in natural sunshine outdoors. Some use indoor lighting made for birds but its controversial how effective it is. Some supplement vit D mixed with calcium.

Your home sounds wonderful for a bird.
Thank you.. he was most content in his new home, until I left him alone on Saturday afternoon-- something happened to him that afternoon.. his feathers were scattered about 8 feet on the floor and his seeds were everywhere. It was the next afternoon that he was back to his *normal* self.. I would not be able to give him supplements.. He is eating much better than he was on day 1.. so, some progress.. Thanks :)

Kim20013

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kimberly
Hi Carrol, I see you found the site! Good luck with Boo! He's lucky to have you!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You put him in front of a window an most likely he had a fright from something he saw outside. Best to put his cage against a wall and away from the window.