• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from way up north in Ottawa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyHydralisk

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Allison
It took me about three days to join the forum because I was so indecisive about using this username or a new one (and I'm still not sure I made the right choice but that's not really what I'm here to talk about! I just seem to be unable to make decisions for the silliest things.)

Anyway, I hate to start out with a sad story, but part of what made me search out a bird forum to join was the loss of my 1.5 year old lovebird, Quinton, approximately 3 weeks ago on the fourth. This is really the first time I've talked about it, and I will be making a post in a more appropriate forum, but I do feel the need to say something. It was really just a tragic accident brought on by miscommuncation, but what I am grateful for is that the commotion got me out of bed so I could be there for him :(

There has, however, been cause for happiness - last weekend we went to the humane society to inquire about volunteering over the summer, and I heard a very familiar noise coming from their small animal room! They had a small green & yellow budgerigar who couldn't be more than 6-8 months old - he was apparently a stray they found mid-march! (there was quite a bit of snow around then.) and no one had claimed him, so he was up for adoption. We brought him home, and despite no signs of being hand-tame, he does now allow us to pet his back in the cage! (When bribed with a bit of millet ;)). I've had budgies in the past, when I was much younger, so it's very nice to have one around again.

I'm also going to be bringing home a cinnamon green cheek conure from a local breeder, around the end of May, which is very exciting. I'm trying to keep my head up but it's very hard at times - i still miss quinton. (There's a little lovebird at Critter Jungle who looks so much like him :( )

I feel bad that my first post is such a downer but like I said, I'm trying to look forward to a happy future with my birdie babies!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
It's ok. Many people find their way here the first time through a tragedy or in serious/desperate need of information. I'm glad about your new budgie. Seems good for both of you.

so welcome to the forum. We would all like to see pictures!

FuzzyHydralisk

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Allison
Here's a picture of quinton I just pulled off my phone - I don't have too many decent pictures of him, but the best are from when he just got a bath (they aren't particularly flattering!) I'm going to try and get a photo of my new budgie soon, he's a bit nervous and I can't get very clear shots through the cage bars - my camera likes to focus on them, not the bird.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm so sorry for your loss of Quinton! :sadhug2: And welcome to AA! There are several of us here from the Ottawa area. :D

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Love the pic of Quinton. Again, so sorry for your loss. :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so very sorry for your loss...and love that picture very very cute welcome!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! I am very sorry for your loss. Matt

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome! Sorry for the loss of your lovie and congrats on the addition of your budgie.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Welcome!
Sorry to hear about your loss, but I find it great that you provided a home to the budgie in need.
I'm also from the Ottawa area :)

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Hi there and thanks for sharing your story. :) I hope your name is referring to Starcraft... I'm a huge fan!!!

FuzzyHydralisk

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Allison
Hi there and thanks for sharing your story. :) I hope your name is referring to Starcraft... I'm a huge fan!!!
Haha, it's actually quite the story behind it - when gamespy was still a thing, they had a random username generator and I just hit it until I found something I liked - at the time, I didn't have any interest in starcraft - didn't even know it existed! But after three different people asking about it, I decided to check it out - I love it, now (but i'm quite terrible at it! That's generally how it goes with me and RTS games)

I brought a photo of my budgie for everyone, as well :) Still considering a name for him - I like to wait until I know a bit more about their personality.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
He's very cute too! :)

Pumpkin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tracy
Sorry for your loss & welcome! I'm not from Ottawa but I'm in Canada.:D Love your Budgie!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome to the avenue. Sorry about the loss of your lovie.

yvette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Yvette
Welcome fellow Canadian!!
Your lovie was beautiful, and Im sure very missed. Hope you enjoy the forum!!

animallover

Jogging around the block
Welcome to the forum. And also very sorry for your loss of Quinton. But glad you have adopted the little parakeet. Again welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.