• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from Seattle!

Ptolemios

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I'm Agnes, 27 and living in Seattle(moved from Georgia in 2017)! I have 2 green cheeks, Rupert and Kiwi!

I guess I joined to have a place I can go to to get advice from other bird owners. I've been birb-momin' it lonesome dove style for years now and recently had a scare with Kiwi a week ago so..yeah.. I've always had all kinds of questions and Google can only help so much.. Its frustrating having these questions but no answers!

Hope these pictures show up right...

Rupert's a female cinnamon and she's going on 4 years old. She knows 'circle', where she turns around in a full 360 degree circle when asked. But only if you have food. And also to get food whether you ask her to or not... She's 70 grams of flapping craziness and bites my boyfriend for no reason other than because she wants to.
20180528_192336.jpg

Kiwi's a male normal and he's just 1 year old. He's 67 grams of SCREM, SCREM and more SCREM. He also likes to gnaw on my boyfriend, especially his fingers and beard. But he's my cuddly-wuddly nugget that loves to snuggle up against my cheek or right under my nose! I love it! He's so soft and he smells so good.. I can't describe it but its just that bird smell.. Anyway, he says 'hey Kiwi', 'Kiwi', 'Rupert', 'what-u-doing', tiny 'REEEEEs', and I think he's started saying 'no' recently too.
20180528_192355.jpg

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue, Agnes! :meet: We have a wealth of very knowledgeable and experienced members, so you've come to the right place for answers on all things bird. :) Your GCCs are so cute!

I do want to give you a quick word of caution regarding your photos... A clipped bird can still gain plenty of lift outdoors and many escapes have happened when their owners thought they couldn't. Please keep Kiwi and Rupert safe inside their carriers while they're outside!

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Hello fellow Washingtonian :) Welcome!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Your birds are really cute. :)

Ptolemios

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

And yes, I know about the possible dangers of clipped birds flying away. I've worked with Kiwi and Rupert, conditioning them to different environments. I wouldn't take them outside without taking into consideration the proper precautions and fully understanding what may or may not happen. They also have their own flightsuits.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
If you are able to visit, there's a great bird only store in Bothell called Wings of the World!
You can board birds there and they will groom (wing/nail trims) for free.

They have older birds looking for homes sometimes too; also babies :xflove:

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Even if birds are introduced to/get used to different environments..it can take just one, even small thing to send them flying.
Like maybe a person wearing a hat or something; a color or item that they've never seen, a sudden unfamiliar noise, etc.
There's been a lot of birds that spent time out often and still get lost unfortunately.

There's risks of some getting eaten, hit by cars, starve/freeze/overheat, or even caught by people that want to keep or sell them when they get lost.

I'm not going to and cant force anyone to keep their birds from being loose, just want to put in some words though as I lost one of mine in 2017 :(

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
:greet7:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
If you are able to visit, there's a great bird only store in Bothell called Wings of the World!
You can board birds there and they will groom (wing/nail trims) for free.

They have older birds looking for homes sometimes too; also babies :xflove:

I just recently visited Inca's Secret, and am hoping to maybe swing by Wings of the World this weekend. :) Inca's secret is very small, but they do a lot of rescuing. Plus Naners, their lutino Quaker, is to die for. If I wasn't an upstanding citizen, she may have left in my handbag. :swoon: