• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! From new bird mum!*

Katiebird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kate
(well they aren't my birds - they are my parents but this is the first time I've ever been around birds.)***

Hey, I'm Kate from the UK!
I have two Parrotlets we rescued - they are a little couple and absolutely adore each other.
Named Freddie and Mercury, since we had them late last year they have had 2 batches of eggs. 4 Happy babies were born New Years day, (3 went off together - the last one was too young to leave yet but also found a wonderful home too)
They have just laid another 7 eggs and ones already hatched and happy! Nature is wonderful right?

We have 2 Conures, a pineapple and a green cheek.
Salah our Green cheek is a HUGE biter, but we have recently been able to give him tummy tickles without any biting. We have had Salah a few months now and he's very energetic and playful - he makes woop woop sounds when you tickle him.

Our new conure Coco the pineapple was supposed to be a buddy for Salah but Salah was not happy to share a cage with Coco - we are wondering if this will ease at any point because Coco flies onto Salahs cage and they do get along but just not together in one cage.
Coco is shy but really cuddly when let out and will happily sleep in your jumper.

I joined this site to learn a lot more about birds in general, and meet like minded people who appreciate and love these adorable feather friends!

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you, Salah, Coco, Freddie, and Mercury! :)

Sometimes our best laid plans don't go the way we'd like them...the conures will probably need two separate cages, they'll tolerate each other, but they'll want their separate space. ;)
Our tiels are like that...Igor and Sunshine are friends...but they have separate cages to sleep in...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Bob RE the conures cages.

I love your little parrotlets, they´re adorable! Best to try and give them a break from laying and raising chicks at least a season or two a year, especially as they are family pets. Egg laying and raising chicks is a huge strain. Maybe after ths clutch you can convince your parents to remove the nesting box for a season so they can regain their strength.
Do the parrotlets have a varied diet with a good source of calcium?

Multiple eggs are a clutch, batches are usually bread ;)

It´s nice that you joined the forum to learn.
:welave:

Katiebird

Real Name
Kate
Welcome to you, Salah, Coco, Freddie, and Mercury! :)

Sometimes our best laid plans don't go the way we'd like them...the conures will probably need two separate cages, they'll tolerate each other, but they'll want their separate space. ;)
Our tiels are like that...Igor and Sunshine are friends...but they have separate cages to sleep in...
Thank you for your response!
Yeah, they definitely have seperate cages, we had another cage just incase - Coco likes to sleep in his hammock, and they are far away from each other so they don't genuinely come into contact
unless we let one out (we usually only let Coco out currently because the parrotlets are baby duty and Salah isn't tame yet)
They might never want to be together but Coco does like to sit ontop of Salahs cage and Salah seems interested - we aren't sure of the genders of the two Conures currently so not sure if thats the reason they don't get on.

Katiebird

Real Name
Kate
Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Bob RE the conures cages.

I love your little parrotlets, they´re adorable! Best to try and give them a break from laying and raising chicks at least a season or two a year, especially as they are family pets. Egg laying and raising chicks is a huge strain. Maybe after ths clutch you can convince your parents to remove the nesting box for a season so they can regain their strength.
Do the parrotlets have a varied diet with a good source of calcium?

Multiple eggs are a clutch, batches are usually bread ;)

It´s nice that you joined the forum to learn.
Ahh! Thank you - learned something new and I will let them know.
I'll definitely let them know about the nesting box after this clutch - We would hate to stress them out! Yes, we have a variety of different things for them to eat and interact with.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Absolutely beautiful color of blue!!! WOW!!!
Welcome to AA.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!