• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from a girl who can only dream

Rooary

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Roary/Mariah
I'm biased, but my little conure is a fantastic little bird and ive been told they are mini macaws (and so much less work and $$$)
I have heard that the smaller the beak, the worse the bite because of the pinch, but I do just love the personality of the mini macaws . I've also heard a lot of stories that conures are very nippy. I'm aware that any bird I choose will end up biting me one way or another, and I'm prepared for that, but I'm just wondering how much of that is true in your personal experience?

Welcome!

It's good you are doing research beforehand. Just be warned that the bigger the parrot = the bigger the mess = the harder the effort. Intelligent parrots need lots of stimulation! If you are sure you want a large parrot then as the others said visit them in rescues and such. Reading/watching is not the same as actually experiencing. Though you are leaning toward a macaw, there are plenty of medium sized parrots that might suite you. What are you looking for in a parrot?
Yes, I understand and agree. The mess, I don't mind nor do I mind finding different ways to keep the bird entertained ^^ that's the fun of having a pet for me, keeping it happy and doing things to let it have fun. Which is why I am so interested in macaw types: they seem like such cool birds with big personality and that I like. Or... Maybe, idk haha I'm still not too 100% sure. I just know I'd like an intelligent bird that will be at least somewhat good company, since I spend a lot of hours alone and don't see that changing very soon except maybe when I go to college (but I'll still live in my own place, not a dorm.) but I guess that kind of stuff depends on how well socialized and trained it is huh? I also would LIKE a talker, But it doesn't have to be.

I don't know if this is too much to expect haha

This kind of thinking always raises a red flag to me.

Parrots are still mostly wild, so they're highly driven by natural behaviors, instincts, and hormonal cycles. These deep ingrained wild behaviors really make them poor candidates for what we would call "companion pets". They are monogamous, and procreation is a very high priority part of their life. The highest form of "bond" you could have with a parrot is a mate bond. Having a parrot totally mate bonded to a human is not something I personally think people should try to achieve. Quite often we see overly bonded parrots stuck in states of extreme frustration due to lack of reciprocation from their human mate. This can manifest in all kinds of negative behaviors like aggression, screaming, self mutilation, and so on. It's just not a happy state for the bird to be in.

Keeping a single parrot (especially a large one) mentally and physically healthy is extremely difficult, and they live a VERY long time. With a macaw, you could be looking at the rest of your life. They are demanding and difficult, yet rewarding pets - their intelligence will blow you away, and their wild, carefree behavior is amazing to watch. Please, just make sure you are up for that kind of commitment. There is a reason many of them go through 7+ homes in their lifetime.

If your ideal pet is one that's loyal, loving (especially in physical ways), and always there for you, I think you'd be much better off with a dog.
Thank you for being so informative and honest! I do understand that they are, in fact, birds - not feathered dogs. Haha do you say a dog might be better because of my avatar? Well it's true that dogs are very loyal and can be affectionate, but I think you're not giving these remarkable birds enough credit. I've seen such strong bonds between people and their birds, and they aren't just brainwashed to be that way which just makes it that much better. I know I'm not guaranteed to get a companion type bird and I am prepared for that. I'm aware that a bird I get could be great for the first month and then become completely indifferent towards me. But I'm willing to work with whatever happens. Trust me, a dog is definitely in my future, however I'm not saying the same for a bird just yet. I might discover they just don't mesh with me, but for now I am in love with them and really wish to explore what they're like.

Welcome to AA and congratulations on finding us and parrots! There's lots of information here, so read and ask lots of questions! I agree with Jaguar and the longer I keep birds, the more I realize that they work better in pairs. Not necessarily bonded pairs, but buddies. They are amazing and once you share your life with them, it's hard to envision life without them! I hope you find the right type of bird for you and that he/she/they bring you years and years of love, entertainment, exasperation, and stories to share!:)
Well I wonder sometimes if a pair would be a bad idea in some instances. I've heard of birds bonding with each other instead of their owner, and actually becoming very aggressive and protective. If I do go with a larger bird, a pair probably won't come immediately but I do know that if I do decide on a bird... There will be many more to come in the future. Haha it's just how I am, fall in love with one and I want all of them.

In your experience, would a single bird like a macaw or mini macaw be okay by itself without another bird companion or do you think it's something they would REALLY need in order to be completely content? Even if I give it the proper attention and care it needs.

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback! I am taking it all into consideration, EVEN if it seems like I might not be.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I got Lurch as a used Maxi Pionus Parrot. He was scared to death, mad at the world, and quick to bite with out warning. I just left his cage open and after a mere 5 years he decided I was trustworthy and his chosen one. He would still bite, that was just who he was and a feature, but he also loved to hang out, get scritches, and steal food. He would fly after me like a feathered puppy too. Before him I had Nerd, another Maxi for 31 years, he loved me in his own way and he was my :heart: Bird. Unfortunately Lurch escaped do to a dumb mistake but now I have Dobby, the most gentle, confident, social Maxi I have ever met, he likes me, but has chosen sister as his favorite. All three were similar but completely different at the same time. Every bird is their own soul so you can get one just like they say their species is or one that hasn't read the book and will make you earn everything you get over time, which means nothing to them. Obviously I like Pionus parrots and would recommend them, they tend to be quiet, gentle, and easy going but from my experience it doesn't always apply. Nerd had a flock call that was wild Pionus based and could wake the dead, lurch could bite very fast and punch holes without normal Pionus warnings at first, Dobby is gentle and quiet and will turn away rather than bite, he loves scratches and treats. Each one was their own personality with some similarities like they were green and medium sized. Nerd never talked but we understood each other, Lurch loved to talk and was learning new words and phrases, Dobby loves making sounds and talks, but he LOVES to whistle best and expresses himself mostly with them.
They all were messy and love to chew things up, and they choose who they choose and it may not be you. If you're prepared for all that and a long term family member that you may grow up and old with then a parrot, and hopefully a Pionus is for you. And yes, I have been bit in the nose, ears, neck, fingers, arms, big toe, lip etc and still I like them.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:welcome2: It's great that you're doing research before hand. Personally I'd encourage you to research little and medium birds before setting your heart on a macaw. It does sound like you're open to doing that, which is great. Also as it was mentioned before volunteering at a rescue is a great way of getting hands on experience. That's how i got most of my experience with a variety different kinds of birds. I definitely recommend it. Anyway welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time here :greet14:

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
It's good that your doing your research and coming here before making the big descion. Sometimes others see how beautiful a bird is, buy them the next day, and two weeks/a month later give them up to a rescue. Keep doing your research, and I would suggest looking into medium birds. Even though they might seem like they aren't as captivating as a macaw they can be very intelligent and just what you are looking for. I'm a bit biased, but you could look into budgies (parakeets) again, they can be a whole lot of fun. :D But it sounds like with more research and lots of careful planning you could be a great home to a parrot.

Last edited: