1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from a girl who can only dream

Discussion in 'Welcome Lane' started by Rooary, 2/16/17.

1. Rooary

Rooary Moving in

Roary/Mariah
    Hi everyone! This website is awesome and loads friendlier than some others I've seen so I feel comfortable joining to poke around and find information and maybe ask a few things along the way. Also the theme with the lanes and avenues is super cute!

Anyway, I'm Roary and it's nice to meet you all. Reason I'm here is, as I said, to gather as much information as I can about birds as pets. I don't own any YET, but My mom used to have a dove, and I used to have pairs of parakeets and finches as a young kid. I never handled them but they were fun to have around and watch and take care of. I'll never own small birds like finches again though, beautiful but so very fragile :/ they died one summer weekend when I was away and they got too cold from the A/C. It was 100% my fault for leaving them under a vent, thinking they'd like the cool air as much as I did. Needless to say that was naive of me and I felt so guilty about it that I lost interest in birds altogether.

Until now! That's like... 10 years later haha. My boyfriend's mom recently got a cockatoo and she completely turned me back onto birds. I had no idea how intelligent they could be! Before her I'd never even handled a bird with my own hands. After meeting her, it was clear she has no interest in bonding with women (AKA me) but she is suuuper affectionate of the guys and it's so sweet to see that kind of bond between bird and human, where they crave your attention and companionship. I had no idea birds could be like this.

So now, I'm making small plans to get a bird of my own. I've done extensive research and I've learned a lot, still am. I am sure I don't want a cockatoo, as they too easily can be turned into little screaming, demanding terrors (just take a gander at the mytoos website and you'll see what I mean), plus just seeing some of Molly's behaviors I just really would rather not take one onto my hands. Not to bad mouth cockatoos, Molly makes me want a bird of my own to bond with.

So, I'm hunting for the right type of bird for me. Right now I can't afford to get one nor do I have the right to since I'm under someone else's roof, but I'm looking forward to having lots of meaningful discussions here and learning from the people who live with these kinds of birds, so that I can be ready when hopefully someday I find the bird for me :D until then I will live off of your guy's experiences and enjoying looking at all your beautiful birds with awe and envy.

2. Cynthia & Percy

Cynthia & Percy cockatoo mania Super Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

cynthia
    welcome

Rooary likes this.
  3. WendyN

WendyN Rollerblading along the road

Wendy
    Welcome!

Rooary likes this.
  4. Chopper

Chopper Rollerblading along the road

Mary lynn Snowman
    Welcome.

Rooary likes this.
  5. Rooary

Rooary Moving in

Roary/Mariah
    Thank you, thank you, and thank you! :)

6. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue

Michelle
    Welcome! You sound like a very mature and responsible young person who will make a great bird parent one day. There are lots of amazing types of parrots out there. One of the best ways to decide what you like is to simply meet some, if there happen to be any bird clubs or rescues near you. I'm a bit biased to cockatiels and think they would be a nice bird for you. :)

Animallover03, Rooary and cassiesdad like this.
  7. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Bob Weisman
    Welcome to the Avenue!

Rooary likes this.
  8. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

Dianne
    I am glad you joined because we have very wise bird people here. Ask any questions and read other peoples questions and you will learn. @JLcribber is the author of MYtoos web page and he is a member here also. Cockatiels are sweet birds if you want to read up on them.

Animallover03 and Rooary like this.
  9. Rooary

Rooary Moving in

Roary/Mariah
    Well thanks! I hope I will be a good bird owner. Hmmm... I should and definitely will look into clubs and rescues close by. I think there are some in my area, actually. Probably not conveniently close but meh! Would be worth the adventure. Cockatiels are very cute little birds, although I am looking into something more along the lines of a macaw or at least something bigger.

Thanks for the lovely welcome! ^^ awesome that the author of that site is here as well. I didn't know the online avian world was so universal haha! I guess there are a lot of connections.
    HM, well like I said above I was more looking into getting a parrot type of bird. Which type, I have no solid idea yet.

Last edited: 2/16/17
    sunnysmom and Animallover03 like this.
  10. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Rooary likes this.
  11. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    :hello::welave:

Rooary likes this.
  12. Doublete

Doublete Jogging around the block

Katie
    I'm biased, but my little conure is a fantastic little bird and ive been told they are mini macaws (and so much less work and $$$)

Rooary and Animallover03 like this.
  13. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Correction. No I was just a member there a long time ago.

Rooary and Animallover03 like this.
  14. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

Dianne
    Oh I thought you owned that web page. I stand corrected.

JLcribber likes this.
  15. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    :omg: NO :coffeescreen:

Macawnutz, jmfleish and Animallover03 like this.
  16. BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21 Strolling the yard

Jake
    Welcome to the forum!

17. BeeBop

BeeBop Walking the driveway

Welcome!

It's good you are doing research beforehand. Just be warned that the bigger the parrot = the bigger the mess = the harder the effort. Intelligent parrots need lots of stimulation! If you are sure you want a large parrot then as the others said visit them in rescues and such. Reading/watching is not the same as actually experiencing. Though you are leaning toward a macaw, there are plenty of medium sized parrots that might suite you. What are you looking for in a parrot?

18. Jaguar

Jaguar Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Shutterbugs' Best

Ry
    This kind of thinking always raises a red flag to me.

Parrots are still mostly wild, so they're highly driven by natural behaviors, instincts, and hormonal cycles. These deep ingrained wild behaviors really make them poor candidates for what we would call "companion pets". They are monogamous, and procreation is a very high priority part of their life. The highest form of "bond" you could have with a parrot is a mate bond. Having a parrot totally mate bonded to a human is not something I personally think people should try to achieve. Quite often we see overly bonded parrots stuck in states of extreme frustration due to lack of reciprocation from their human mate. This can manifest in all kinds of negative behaviors like aggression, screaming, self mutilation, and so on. It's just not a happy state for the bird to be in.

Keeping a single parrot (especially a large one) mentally and physically healthy is extremely difficult, and they live a VERY long time. With a macaw, you could be looking at the rest of your life. They are demanding and difficult, yet rewarding pets - their intelligence will blow you away, and their wild, carefree behavior is amazing to watch. Please, just make sure you are up for that kind of commitment. There is a reason many of them go through 7+ homes in their lifetime.

If your ideal pet is one that's loyal, loving (especially in physical ways), and always there for you, I think you'd be much better off with a dog.

19. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen
    Welcome to AA and congratulations on finding us and parrots! There's lots of information here, so read and ask lots of questions! I agree with Jaguar and the longer I keep birds, the more I realize that they work better in pairs. Not necessarily bonded pairs, but buddies. They are amazing and once you share your life with them, it's hard to envision life without them! I hope you find the right type of bird for you and that he/she/they bring you years and years of love, entertainment, exasperation, and stories to share!:)

Rooary and BeeBop like this.
  20. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Gone Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah

:laughin:Your mean but not THAT mean. :lol:

welcome.gif

BeeBop likes this.
Tags:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)