• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello dear birdie lovers and owners!

Nomi

Sitting on the front steps
Hello all!

My name is Nomi, and I recently joined Avian Avenue to get more information about birds and caring for lovebirds.

I have recently adopted 2 bonded lovebirds. The previous owner stated that the birds are tame, and have been together since they were young. They are over 3 years old, and they are a funny pair - Mango and Thunderpants. Thunderpants is the more timid and shy one, and will step up onto my finger now and then. Mango is fearless and is a go-getter. Mango does not like to step up on my finger at all, and will try to nip me when I attempt to do so. Even with spray millet, Mango refuses to be on my finger. I did trick her recently to land on my arm, although I don't think she was aware that she was on my arm (sneaky me!!)

I love them dearly, and watching them two interact and be little butts together is priceless.

I do have a question for other owners of bonded lovebirds!
How is the interaction between yourself (owner) with the bonded two?

Any feedback/personal experience relating to caring for two bonded lovebirds would be very much appreciated! :)

Have a lovely day everyone <3

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I just wanted to say welcome, and I'll bet you will get tons of stories about lovebirds here - your birds sound like so much fun! :welcome2::howdy::welcomeavenue:

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Hi Nomi! Your lovebirds are adorable! I don’t have any but my lorikeets became more ‘hands-off’ when they bonded.

They are still somewhat handleable however and just as much a joy to own. They just prefer each other over me!

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Hi Nomi! Your lovebirds are adorable! I don’t have any but my lorikeets became more ‘hands-off’ when they bonded.

They are still somewhat handleable however and just as much a joy to own. They just prefer each other over me!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcomesign: to the Avenue, Nomi! Mango and Thunderpants are gorgeous! Love their names!!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I dont have a pair of bonded lovebirds, just one. @Zara since she has some bonded peach faced lovebirds

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Welcome aboard Nomi. They do look happy together those two. Aas you recently picked these two up it may just be that a little more time is needed for them to trust you. In any case keep doing what your doing, associate your hands with nice treats.
@Zara is our lovie queen, she'll have some great advice for you.
:needpics:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Welcome aboard Nomi. They do look happy together those two. Aas you recently picked these two up it may just be that a little more time is needed for them to trust you. In any case keep doing what your doing, associate your hands with nice treats.
@Zara is our lovie queen, she'll have some great advice for you.
:needpics:
Now now, I dont know about queen. Maybe stalker is a better word.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:welave:Yay more lovebirds! Hahaha I love how we all immediately go to @Zara ;) she really is the best!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I will say my lovebird is bonded to my friend's lovebird. When she visits, both of them are pretty much together the entire time. Both are female can get over protective of each other but are generally still friendly to me and my friend. They both like to snuggle with each other and us at the same time.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the avenue :fairy2:

Your birds are lovely (and cool names too!)

I do have a question for other owners of bonded lovebirds!
How is the interaction between yourself (owner) with the bonded two?

I have 2 pairs of bonded lovebirds but I do not have a situation like yours. The first pair I have, one was my ¨tame¨ cock who bonded with a hen I found. I have had a super hard time building an interactive relationship with her because she does not need me. Her male gives her all she needs. She will perch on my shoulder and occasionally treats me to stepping on my hand. My other pair are their first two offspring who grew and bonded to each other and so are ¨tame¨.

You say the previous owner of your birds says they were ¨tame¨ so hopefully you stand a good chance of having some sort of interactive relationship with them. It will take time and there´s no shortcuts. You are doing the right things, plenty of millet and occasional trickery ;) Just be warned, there´s a fine line between tricking and forcing.

You didn´t state which sex. (Thunderpants sounds male and Mango female). Try to focus on the bird that is more interested in interacting, while not excluding the other (offer millet to both birds). Once one will come to you, the other will follow suit.

To start; Offer plenty of millet through the cage bars and don´t put any in their cage (like when you see some people hang whole sprigs in there). That way they associate you wth the millet because they have no other way of getting it. Once they know you bring millet you will notice they come over to you when you approach the cage. Eventually, when they are out of the cage, hold out the millet and in time they will come.

Be consistent. It could take weeks, but it could take months... or a year. The key will be to invest time into them and be patient :)

Good luck!❤

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Maybe stalker is a better word.
Really? REALLY??
You think it's safe to say that?
It´s fine. I am a self confessed Lovebird Lane lurker :D
2take is just looking to poke the bear until he recieves the :kickout:
:lol:

Yay more lovebirds!
:yah: I love lovebirds! I wish everyone on the board had one! I wish I could have more!! :lol:

I love them dearly, and watching them two interact and be little butts together is priceless.
Yes! This is one of the most beautiful things! The iconic snuggle is just captivating!!!

Any feedback/personal experience relating to caring for two bonded lovebirds would be very much appreciated!
Be prepared for spats, squabbles and toe biting when it comes to mating/hormones.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy