• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello all!

Alicia B

Moving in
Hello all,

I am new here and have recently started looking after three birds, a cockatiel (Bud) who is around 13, and two outside aviary rainbow lorikeets who have no names.

All of the birds were rather neglected, and upon seeing their condition and treatment, have pretty much taken over since moving in. They will all be coming with me when I leave as well.

They are all lovely birds who are happy for the clean cages, ample food and company!

I’ve never owned birds before, so it’s a bit of trial by fire as to frequency of feeding, what causes them stress, the things they like and don’t like and so on.

The lorikeets were very stressed before I took over, their cage was rarely cleaned, nor was the water often changed. They went days sometimes without being fed, and as a result, have plucked the majority of their feathers. They stopped plucking feathers once I started giving fresh food and cleaning and watering daily. After a cold caused someone else to feed them, one of the birds was so badly banged up—from herself or the other bird, I’m not sure, she was completely bald, her skin was badly bruised, she had an open sore on her neck, that was when I took over completely and made sure they had new water and a clean cage at least twice a day, and that they need to at least see me once a day—or they start plucking feathers again. Even if someone else is cleaning them twice a day.

Good news, the one that was battered is so happy, she is even growing back feathers!! Hooray!!! Very happy about this latest development!

Thanks for having me here, and hello from the four of us!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Welcome! Thank you for caring for these birds. What a rough start, but it sounds like you're up for the challenge! :thumbsup: You just met this head-on and took charge. :victory:

Whose birds are they and how did they come to you? Is any more known about the lorikeets?

Alicia B

Moving in
Thank you!

We also have four cats that I took over feeding of too! Yay animals.

All of the animals belong to my In-laws. Animals the kids acquired over the years or brought back to them to look after. But they both work long hours and are quite busy, so I think they were doing the best they knew how. I am a stay at home mum though (we are back home saving for a house), so I see them all a lot more, and love animals, so can see when things aren’t going well.

I don’t know much about the lorikeets, other than they’ve had them for some years, and they don’t have mites. I suspected the feather plucking (based on what I’ve found so far) was due to stress, boredom, inadequate diet and poor light. We live in NSW Australia. They get seasonal fresh flowers and plants (now), and fresh veg and fruits daily.

Attachments

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
:welave:Welcome! You’ll love it here! Everyone is as sweet as sunshine and we all care for each other’s birds as if they were our own. It’s like one big (Huge!) happy family!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue, Alicia! :greet13: Thank you so much for taking them under your wing. Sounds like they really needed you. :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

4mybirds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Aww look at those sweet babies :heart:

Welcome to the forum! Everyone here is so nice and knowledgeable, plethora of information.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Image00010~2.jpg
Thankyou you taking an interest those birds and for caring for them!! They are very luck to have you :heart:
:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road