• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello all , also “plz help”

Mithu

Moving in
hi all

I adopted a two year old Indian Ring Neck a week back. He is a cute and smart mal who loves to talk and eat sunflower seed treats. He also likes to plunge towards my hand when I put his food bowl . The other day I opened his cage so he can fly a bit inside the room. He was trying to jump on my arm so I thought wow he knows how to step up , only to realise he wanted to bite hard before stepping up. I have five bite marks now . M training him to fly to me now so atleast no biting but can’t trust him. Never had a ring neck before. Please help.

Attachments

CookieWookie

Moving in
Real Name
NiuNiu
So you just got the ringneck a week before?
She (assuming the ringneck is female) may be afraid of you or hasn't settled in yet.
If she bites you, don't pull your hand away or she will learn that biting you will keep you away.
That is all I have to say (since I'm no bird expert) but I wish you luck with training your ringneck!:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Can you try having him step up on a perch until he gets more comfortable with you?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

Mithu

Moving in
Thx guys . Thx guys. It’s a male 2 yrs old . Was a one man bird with the previous owner. The owner never told him if Mithu has biting issues. Today I tried step up Trg with a perch. He got on the perch and sat on my arm. Then started moving towards the shoulder . Sat there for a second but I got scared. I felt he might just bite off my face. So I leaned on his cage and he went back. Second time he didn’t even wait for the perch and flew straight on my arm and on to the shoulder. Third time he got angry that m not letting him sit on my shoulder. Why’d I ke in the cage for few weeks ? He is flighted so can follow me anywhere in the house

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
A week is like nothing to a bird. Give him time. Let him get comfortable in his new home.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thx guys . Thx guys. It’s a male 2 yrs old . Was a one man bird with the previous owner. The owner never told him if Mithu has biting issues. Today I tried step up Trg with a perch. He got on the perch and sat on my arm. Then started moving towards the shoulder . Sat there for a second but I got scared. I felt he might just bite off my face. So I leaned on his cage and he went back. Second time he didn’t even wait for the perch and flew straight on my arm and on to the shoulder. Third time he got angry that m not letting him sit on my shoulder. Why’d I ke in the cage for few weeks ? He is flighted so can follow me anywhere in the house
Keep putting him back on his perch. Say step-up and hold stick close to his belly or gently tap his belly while saying step up.
If he keeps trying climb up your arm put him back on his stand. Repeat for a few times ,if your bird takes treats reward each time .My birds are not food motivated, they respond to praise. Short session's are best , keep them to a few repetitions. Once you're bird has learned that. Its important not to overwhelm your bird. When you see him getting stressed stop for the day. The most important thing is consistency. Take it slow keeping a calm energy ,birds pick on the ambient energy in their environment, they can sense how your emotions are coming across and will respond accordingly.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Mithu
THE .

I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE AVENUE!! WE'RE A BUNCH OF ANIMALS HERE!! HOPE YOU FIT RIGHT IN!!

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Sounds like you are making progress slowly.........but that's the way it is with birds, everything at a slow pace is best, at their own pace. Congratulations on your new bird.