• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hedgehogs

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
anyone have one? What are they like as pets? Do they get smelly?

Rolanda

We're not allowed to have them here in CA, but my family (one son who is now 26, and my little one who is 7) has a history of wanting to smuggle one from Oregon.:crycry2:

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
I don't currently own any, but I fostered a pair of females for awhile. I'd say the biggest things were cleaning up after them in the morning and adjusting to their schedule. I used fleece as bedding and provided fleece sleeping pouches. Their poop around the cage wasn't bad, especially since they mostly used their litter box of care fresh bedding. It was their wheels that needed a thorough scrubbing every morning. In the wild hedgehogs don't really have a set home and travel very far every night. For this reason they just go while on the go. So what this means is their wheels (which they ran on every night) were covered in poop and urine. It also meant you'd have to give them little foot baths once a week or so because they get the poop on their feet. I'd do this by filling the bathtub up with a couple inches of water and let them run around in it. Most of the poop would come off and then I'd pick off the rest.

Overall hedgehogs are cute pets but they do require specific items made just for them (special wheels, fleece bedding/pouches), need a special diet (I fed mine 3 different brands of high quality cat food with gut-loaded insects as supplements), and really aren't all that cuddly. Because they are independent by nature they don't really seek out cuddles and affection. They'd rather explore and burrow. The whole nocturnal nature is another thing to take into consideration. You can slightly adjust their schedule to be awake more during the day, but it's difficult.

I hope my information wasn't too much and somewhat helpful :D Now for reading all that here is a pic of the 2 girls I fostered.

Snapchat-7312721945476014292.jpg

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I don't currently own any, but I fostered a pair of females for awhile. I'd say the biggest things were cleaning up after them in the morning and adjusting to their schedule. I used fleece as bedding and provided fleece sleeping pouches. Their poop around the cage wasn't bad, especially since they mostly used their litter box of care fresh bedding. It was their wheels that needed a thorough scrubbing every morning. In the wild hedgehogs don't really have a set home and travel very far every night. For this reason they just go while on the go. So what this means is their wheels (which they ran on every night) were covered in poop and urine. It also meant you'd have to give them little foot baths once a week or so because they get the poop on their feet. I'd do this by filling the bathtub up with a couple inches of water and let them run around in it. Most of the poop would come off and then I'd pick off the rest.

Overall hedgehogs are cute pets but they do require specific items made just for them (special wheels, fleece bedding/pouches), need a special diet (I fed mine 3 different brands of high quality cat food with gut-loaded insects as supplements), and really aren't all that cuddly. Because they are independent by nature they don't really seek out cuddles and affection. They'd rather explore and burrow. The whole nocturnal nature is another thing to take into consideration. You can slightly adjust their schedule to be awake more during the day, but it's difficult.

I hope my information wasn't too much and somewhat helpful :D Now for reading all that here is a pic of the 2 girls I fostered.

View attachment 232249
Gosh they are just adorable!! :heart::heart:

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
We had some when I was younger. they were cute little buggers. My mom's had an accident and ended up losing a foot. My sisters ran all over the place had to watch where we stepped. lol

Tim

Avenue Veteran
If you want a small exotic that is diurnal (opposite of nocturnal) look into prairie dogs. I loved my Prairie Pete so much. Lots of attention, no smelly poo and goes in a litter box! Must have an exotic vet who is comfortable neutering a PD. Eats grass, leaves and roots. Very little else. Don't get them fat on junk food. They pet you back!!

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
Makes me glad I had hamsters and Rabbits...I would consider a Rabbit, at least you can train most of them to use a litter box...they can have long life spans though...my last one lived to 12 years..

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Over here in the UK. hedgehogs are very popular as pets. I think they're cute but have never owned/touched one.
@Diesel13 seems to offer great advice on this :)

The price varies anywhere from 50 pounds to 150 pounds for a registered breeder one here in the UK. Not sure if that's considered expensive or not...

Last edited:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
@Diesel13 thanks so much for the details. That's exactly what I needed to know.

My kids fell in love with a sugar glider at a fair. My husband, who is normally opposed to more animals, was totally taken by this adoreable creature as well. For once I had to be the one to say no way not until we know more about them. And when I researched them I discovered they tend to SHOOT POOP EVERYWHERE :omg: so that would be a no go because I have enough poop to clean with Kai and the shooting poop thing just sounded way way more than we can handle. So I have been looking at alternatives ever since. Maybe a little
Piggie would be good? I've heard they are most dog like.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
@Diesel13 thanks so much for the details. That's exactly what I needed to know.

My kids fell in love with a sugar glider at a fair. My husband, who is normally opposed to more animals, was totally taken by this adoreable creature as well. For once I had to be the one to say no way not until we know more about them. And when I researched them I discovered they tend to SHOOT POOP EVERYWHERE :omg: so that would be a no go because I have enough poop to clean with Kai and the shooting poop thing just sounded way way more than we can handle. So I have been looking at alternatives ever since. Maybe a little
Piggie would be good? I've heard they are most dog like.
I also worked very closely with sugar gliders and while they are cute, I'd personally never own one. As babies they're very cuddly but as adults they tend to be a bit more crabby. They're also nocturnal and they SMELL, especially the males. Sugies also need a specialized diet due to their common ability to develop calcium deficiencies.

By piggies I'm assuming you mean guinea pigs? I don't know much about them but that they are much more cuddly and affectionate compared to sugar gliders and hedgehogs, and that they need a relatively large cage (not the ones sold at pet stores).

If you're looking for a small critter to bring into your home I'd personally recommend two female rats (they get lonely when kept singly). I had rats and they were so much fun! Litter box trained, very affectionate and cuddly, and they were wicked smart and I taught mine tricks. Their diet isn't too complicated, but I'd consider making a home mix instead of buying what's available at pet stores. Rats also need a relatively lare cage since they're so active. The only drawback I found with my rats is they have relatively short lifespans of about 2-5 yrs. Although a good diet can lengthen their life.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I've never had anything small like that, personally because everything had something about them that I didn't like. I've had ball pythons, and bearded dragons and I adore them, although I know not everyone likes reptiles. I'd like to have a rabbit, but don't have the room, as I'd like them to be free range. Hamsters are a great choice, but most don't live long, which is why I haven't gotten one. Don't know about Guinea pigs, but I know most people buy the c&c cages for them. I've researched them as I'm interested, but I'd rather stick to reptiles. Prairie dogs are awesome pets. Chinchillas are great too, but they also require special care, however they are very clean animals. I've had chinchillas and ferrets both and adored them both, but you have to be careful with ferrets. Which is again, why I deal with reptiles over furry creatures unless they are birds or dogs :wacky:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
We have 1 hammy and 1 leopard gecko. Love them both and they are very very low maintenance. I have also considered adding a bearded dragon but I fear they are more needy then we would have time for. And as I type this I think I've just answered my own question. We probably have just what we need as is. I'd have a farm if I could quit working and just chill with my animals all day :rolleyes:

Maybe one day

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
By piggies I'm assuming you mean guinea pigs? I don't know much about them but that they are much more cuddly and affectionate compared to sugar gliders and hedgehogs, and that they need a relatively large cage (not the ones sold at pet stores).
Uhh well actually I meant an actual pig :lol:

Rolanda

Stop it! Stop It! Now I want a little furry baby! My 7 year old wants a Guinea Pig and my husband raised them as a boy, and had 17 at one point until his sister HELPED him with them and he came home to 4 ! I just keep saying "EAT A PIG!!!!!":backout:
@cassiesdad
(No mean spirit intended... I'd love the little bugger!)

Last edited:

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Uhh well actually I meant an actual pig :lol:
Oh :lol: I love pigs! They are a lot like dogs, smarter even! They're not very small animals though. "Teacup" pigs are actually severely malnourished to stun their growth, which is what keeps them small. A female Vietnamese pot-bellied pig can be 30-50 lbs and about 2 ft tall. That's pretty small for a pig. The Vietnamese pot-bellies are what I've worked with and I loved all of their personalities.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
awwwwwwww :heart: those are some cute piggies!!!!!!

but I thought there was a real teacup pig that was tiny by nature? I'd never starve an animal to keep it Small, thats terrible.

I have been imagining how adoreable it would be to walk out pig with our dog :p I want
To get little
Shirts for it and such :p

Last edited: