• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heat lamp and impeding weather

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Ok so lovley FL is about to get salmmed by Dorian. I live in a area that will get some of the effect. I still have some chicks on a heat lamp and don't know how i will keep them warm if we lose power. We do not have a generator. Any ideas?. They are about 3-4 weeks old.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Stay safe, and I hope it’s not too bad. I’m sorry I don’t have any ideas on how to keep them warm long term. Hopefully somebody will come along who does.
:bump7:

BirdBonkers5

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sree
There are a couple of ways to keep baby birds warm without power, but in my opinion, mimicking how they would keep warm in the wild would be the best way. Make a nest out of blankets, paper, or straw bedding (you can also use a heat pack or some hot water bottles, as @Lady Jane has said, in or beneath the nest). Then, put the nest in a sheltered area (it should be the warmest area in your house, if possible) and put the chicks in it. They will naturally huddle together and keep themselves warm.
I'm wishing you good luck and I hope everyone stays safe! :heart:
:hug8:

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Thanks everyone. I didn't think of a warm water bottle. Good thing is we have a gas Stove and plenty of propane. We bought water and will be filling up our bathtub. The really tiny ones are all ready in the house. The ones we have outside who are almost fully feathered will be coming in Sunday.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I will be thinking of you all this weekend Catherine! ❤