• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heat-Exhausted Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie

I think she was just apathetic. The suffering didn't bother her. But, as soon as I reacted with concern, she perceived that it was the "right" thing and pitched in. It's the way a lot of people are, I guess. They'll offer advice, but they don't want to be the one that actually steps in. What bothered me the most, though, was that, even if she didn't want to get involved, she could have moved the kitten to the shade very easily.
Ugh, no kidding :( Her inaction is in itself an act of unforgivable (in my opinion) cruelty.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Thank you for saving her. She is adorable!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
gladyou stepped up and did the right thing...even if feral th at kitty could adapt very quickly to humans. she is understandably scared...after all you saved her life...awwwwwwwwwww.hop eyou find her a great home..bless y our heart

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Bless your HUGE heart for saving her Holiday! :hug8: She is just beautiful!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey, guess what, you guys, I just got her to purr :) So, she's already starting to tame a bit.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:hug8: Bless you Holiday!!!! You are truly a good egg :) This little kitten is so lucky to have been found by you. I'm sure your hair will forgive you :)

Perhaps she is actually tame, just out of sorts? If somebody left me in a parking lot with no food or water in the hot sun, I'm sure I'd act pretty feral as well...

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Perhaps she is actually tame, just out of sorts? If somebody left me in a parking lot with no food or water in the hot sun, I'm sure I'd act pretty feral as well...
Coco, you make a good point. Maybe she was just heart-broken and scared.

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
She's so cute. Bless you for saving a sweet little life because she surely would have perished if you weren't there. Sending lots of good thoughts for you and your baby.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The best way to 'tame' a feral cat is to let them do it themselves. Being by one's self in a room is lonely and boring. My special technique for doing this is to slowly increase the time I spend in their company a little at a time. The first three to five days, I go in, give food and water (two to four times a day, depending on temperature of the room), make a point of looking for and speaking to the cat and then leave. Over time, I start staying in the room on a chair or a bed reading aloud, talking; just being with them: and increase the time five minutes at a time. I provide catnip toys, places to sleep, things to do. I do not touch the cat until they come to me and ask me to do so. First they stay under the bed and I put their food right at the edge of the bed and slowly move it toward the center of the room as they get bolder and bolder. Next, I will bring in a cat fishing pole and tease them with the cat lure. It usually does not take long for them to become acclimated to my presence in the room. About a month into the process, I take them to the vet and get them screened for disease and usually by another month they are out of their quarantine room and part of my pride. The worst feral I tamed took three months; the shortest, three weeks.

I am serious. If I can afford the gas to come get her, I will take her. I am in central PA. She does not have to even be tame. Let me know.

One point. Cats purr as a self-soothing measure when they are severely stressed; not just when they are happy and relaxed. Kind of like a child rocking themselves for comfort? I once rescued a cat that had been mortally run over by a car and the cat purred in my arms all the way to the vet and right up to the moment it took it's last breath via euthanasia. Purrs do not always mean all is well. Extremely stressed cats will also purr right up to the moment they hiss, yowl and attack!

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
What a lucky little kitten. Boothie was found inside a vending machine at walmart trying to escape from the rain. Are you going to keep him?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
You did what any pet lover would do. I'd do it in a heartbeat, I'd be late to work whatever. To me when an animal is involved, the rest of the world stops for me. I have vowed to STOP and rescue the next turtle I see crossing the road. I passed two in the last few weeks to only have guilt get me so by the time I turned around, both had been run over. I will never keep going next time.

You did good today, I'd do the exact same thing. :hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, she's all tucked in for the night. She's eating well, and she sat on my lap and purred and rubbed her face on my hand, so I think Coco was right. She was just very scared and upset from the whole parking lot incident. She seems to be coming around quickly. Besides, she's just a baby, and babies are more apt to trust.

I am serious. If I can afford the gas to come get her, I will take her. I am in central PA. She does not have to even be tame. Let me know.

Lois, maybe we can work something out. But, I used to live in State College, so I know that central PA is a long and arduous drive from here...we'll have to see. First, I probably need to have her genuinely vet checked...

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
What an incredible story! You saved her life. I truly believe she will warm up to you. She knows. That story made my day. She is precious.

Liana

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Perhaps there could be some sort of rescue train if Lois were to adopt the baby (though I wonder if Holiday is already in love :heart:). If there was a trusted AA member or two that lived in between Holiday and Lois to cut down on the car ride? Just a thought.

Liana

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
You definitely did the right thing! My boyfriend is horribly allergic to cats and I am starting to suspect I am as well. I have never had cats as my mother and sister are horribly allergic. I do like cats though and enjoy taking care of other people's cats. I would absolutely have done the same thing! I've been known to do that on more than one occasion! I once found a baby duckling whose mother had been run over in Central Park and we drove it to a baby duck rescue the next day. My mother and I have also been known to pull the car over and try to rescue stray dogs who obviously did not want rescuing as they ran as fast as possible!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Forget the hair! lol You did the right thing...you were definitely in the right place at the right time.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps there could be some sort of rescue train if Lois were to adopt the baby. If there was a trusted AA member or two that lived in between Holiday and Lois to cut down on the car ride? Just a thought.

Liana
Liana, that's a good thought. If something like that could be arranged, I'd surely appreciate it. If not, I may have to try to find her a home locally.

you were definitely in the right place at the right time.
I do think she wouldn't have lasted much longer. I think heat stroke can kill a kitten pretty quickly. What I don't understand is why she was in the middle of the parking lot :confused:

Last edited:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Poor baby....she just ran out of energy...maybe she wanted to be found so that is why she was there?

Claire, I got a ride the other day form a co worker to work....there was a turtle starting to cross the road..we were a little late. My ride did slow down and go around, but did not stop to get the turtle out of the road:( I am in no position right now to do that, so I worried all day and wondered it the turtle was ok. I wish we would have stopped.

Liana

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I live in Middletown, NY. I am close to the borders of PA, NJ, and CT. I know that I am not in between, but if somehow the drive makes sense, I would be happy to help with your situation or others if needed. Best of luck to you!

I mapquested the very center of Ohio (since I don't know what town you reside in) to Mechanicsburg, Pa and driving the optimal route (
I-71 N to I-76 E) , the calculation is 6 hrs 36 mins / 389.11 miles. Long drive, but if someone lived between you, very doable.

Liana

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.