• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heat-Exhausted Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yesterday, I was driving to get my hair cut when I passed a cellular phone place. In the near-empty parking lot, collapsed and panting rapidly, was a young black and white kitten (about 7 weeks of age). A few yards away, in the shade, stood a heavy-set woman, glancing at a cell phone and waiting. She was not looking at the kitten, but she could see it. The kitten's mouth was open, and it was panting hard, obviously suffering from heat exhaustion (the temperature was in the low 90's F and the sun was bright). It was clearly still alive but clearly in distress. The whole scene struck me as surreal. There was a dying kitten in the middle of a parking lot, and there was a human being a few yards away, completely without empathy.

I immediately swung the car left, parked, walked over and scooped up the kitten. Her tongue was bright red, she was panting rapidly. I checked her quickly for injuries, and didn't see any, but she was too weak to move much. At this point, the "observer" started to take an interest. She volunteered that the kitten had been there like that for a while, that she had not seen how it got there, didn't know who it belonged to. She suggested that there was a water cooler inside the cell phone place, and I should ask them for a cup (why she didn't think of this before my arrival, I don't know, but I was glad she suggested it). I took kitty inside and wet her tongue with the cool water. She wouldn't drink. So, I took her back outside and put her in my air conditioned car.

So much for my hair appointment.

I took the kitten home, gave her a bath, flea'd her, dried her off. I couldn't get her to eat at first, but after pinching off small gobs of wet cat food and putting them in her mouth, I had some success. Then, she drank a lot of water. After a nice long nap, she started to look like a normal kitten. Her eyes are bright, her mouth is normal looking, and her fur is fluffy. I called the nearest (who is not the best, but the nearest) vet, and asked if he had time to give her a quick look. He said he had surgery all day but could glance at her between operations. I took her in, and he looked her over, gave her some oral wormer, and then pronounced her perfectly healthy. "You've got a good cat there," he beamed. He didn't charge me anything, because I found her in a parking lot, which was nice.

Sheesh. She's not my cat. :confused:

As a matter of fact, I think she is no one's cat. She's not super people-friendly. I've helped foundlings that were much friendlier. This one acts like a feral kitten. She sort of trusts me, because I saved her, but she is clearly not big on humans. She's young, though, so she will warm up a little... But, I don't know what to do with her now. She can't live under the sink in my laundry room forever:

Lumen.jpg

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
Awww, thanks so much for helping out the little guy. I hope that if you can't keep him you can find a purrrfect home for him. Big hugggs to you for saving a life today!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww, thanks so much for helping out the little guy. I hope that if you can't keep him you can find a purrrfect home for him. Big hugggs to you for saving a life today!
Thanks, Tammie. I'll try to find her a home, but she'll need to be tamed first. She's not an ideal pet right now...

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
What a wonderful thing you did! Gorgeous little kitten, feral or not - you did the right thing. Awesome!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a wonderful thing you did! Gorgeous little kitten, feral or not - you did the right thing. Awesome!!
Thanks, Doris. :hug8: You know, I really do not understand how people think they have a choice in such a situation. There was only one thing to do, so I did it. I didn't do it because I wanted or needed another cat. But, there was nothing else to be done.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Thanks for helping her Holiday :thumbsup:

and yep, that's a beautiful new kitten you have there :lol:

seriously, am hoping you are able to find her a great forever home, she is fortunate you happened by when you did

and :nocomment: on the person in the parking lot...

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: Thank you for doing what's right even if it wasn't easy! YOu and Gg are wonderful in that very special way!!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the good thoughts. Please send good luck this way, so that I can find the little miss a home. At least she's safe for now, and out of the boiling heat...

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
She is so gorgeous! That was so great that you stopped and helped. Wonder what that lady was doing, just ignoring the cat and then offering advice on how to care for it? (Glad she did, but come on...)
Lucky little kitten to be found by you.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonder what that lady was doing, just ignoring the cat and then offering advice on how to care for it? (Glad she did, but come on...)
I think she was just apathetic. The suffering didn't bother her. But, as soon as I reacted with concern, she perceived that it was the "right" thing and pitched in. It's the way a lot of people are, I guess. They'll offer advice, but they don't want to be the one that actually steps in. What bothered me the most, though, was that, even if she didn't want to get involved, she could have moved the kitten to the shade very easily.

Liana

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
How wonderful of you to save the kitten's life. I find the bystander's inaction pretty revolting. Not everyone has the sense or the heart that we all do when it comes to animals.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Unbelievable story! Thank you for saving the sweet baby.:hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
She is very lucky that such a wonderful person saved her!

Matt

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You have a beautiful heart and soul. Many blessings on you and her.

Ginger

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8: Thank you for helping the poor kitty, she is adorable and I hope you are able to find her a loving home if not with you.

And to that woman :mad::mad: I have a few words for her but it would get me banned!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Oh, Holiday, I wish I lived closer. I would take her in a heartbeat! I adore feral kittens and have a weakness for black and white cats as well. Bet her coat is silky soft; she looks so like a Japanese Bobtail and they have what I always call 'bunny fur'. If you honestly cannot find a home for her or don't have the time to tame her, let me know and hopefully I can find some way to get her to me.

Bless you for acting on her behalf and saving her.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, Holiday, I wish I lived closer. I would take her in a heartbeat! I adore feral kittens and have a weakness for black and white cats as well. Bet her coat is silky soft; she looks so like a Japanese Bobtail and they have what I always call 'bunny fur'. If you honestly cannot find a home for her or don't have the time to tame her, let me know and hopefully I can find some way to get her to me.

Bless you for acting on her behalf and saving her.

Lois, I'd love for you to take her :hug8: She's a pretty little thing, but shy right now.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I dont remember the name of the show, but I remember seeing a show where actors set up a public scenario with moral dilemas and film how bystanders react. Like, the actors make sure the people at the next table see a man put something in a young girls drink and then take her to a cab.....the camera's film the reaction of the other people in the room, and then question people later on to see why they reacted the way they did. More often than not, the people in those scenarios did not step up and do the right thing. (Though some did)
People sat there and watched a girl go home with a man who druggered her, a man steal a waitresses tip, a husband beating a wife, an arranged marriage for a minor being negotiated against the minors will, etc etc etc. It was sadening to see how many people did nothing! Apparently, your parking lot woman was one of those people :(

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How terrible,thank god you were able to help her and give her a safe place to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.