• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Healthy sauces?

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Anyone have any recipes or ideas for healthy sauces so I can coat Cocoa's food? I gave her a bit of tomato sauce today and she ate her dinner. She seems to like savoury more than sweet.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I make vegetable soup and the birds love it. It’s tomato based with browned ground beef, corn, okra, black eye peas, green beans, diced tomatoes.

The birds will eat it plain without seasonings and just a little meat. I scoop some out for them and throw in my vitamix for a ‘sauce’. Then that week I can lightly heat it and pour onto their chop or mash. You can also mix in red palm oil or any other vitamin supplements.

This is how I get Walter (my b/g macaw) to eat veggies/chop. They love it warm. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The sauce is probably the most unhealthy item on your plate. Sauces are there to add flavour. That means a lot of sugar/salt/fat (which are not good for your bird) because that's what gives it the great taste. I don't know what kind of "healthy" sauce you can make that would actually taste good?

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
You can make all sorts of healthy sauces from vegetables in a vitamix. That’s pretty much how I make all my (human) sauces.

They taste good too, you just have to tinker with the ingredients.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
You could try just coconut oil or red palm oil. What is it you are putting it on? Pellets or dinner you are sharing with her?

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Try dried hot peppers. Crushed peppers or cinnamon in small doses. If they like savory add some rosemary or other healthy herbs. My micro greens have tons of flavor. Some are spicy and others nutty. I grow a full box and allow them to play on it and eat it as they play. Looks like a small yard when they are on it. I flavor using herbs. I wouldn't trust any other sauces made for humans as they always add salt and garlic, both of which are no no's.

You could use fresh peppers and mix too. That will add flavor!! flaming flavor!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
maybe a thinned yogurt sauce? or a thinned hummus?

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Thanks everyone. I know store bought sauces are not good...perhaps I should have said savoury natural juices. The suggestion of healthy oils...I could try to make some pesto. I like the soup idea too. I could drizzle it over grains and hide a multitude of veggies if I blend them. I hadn't thought of hummus either. I am really getting worried at how little Cocoa eats. She clearly has been fed people food and I am trying to switch her to a healthy diet but need some transition tricks.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks everyone. I know store bought sauces are not good...perhaps I should have said savoury natural juices. The suggestion of healthy oils...I could try to make some pesto. I like the soup idea too. I could drizzle it over grains and hide a multitude of veggies if I blend them. I hadn't thought of hummus either. I am really getting worried at how little Cocoa eats. She clearly has been fed people food and I am trying to switch her to a healthy diet but need some transition tricks.
Try pouring some orange/apple/fruit juice over pellets and then serve it warm. Pretty good simulation of human food. You might also try "feeding" her with a spoon if she's inclined to that kind of thing.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Try pouring some orange/apple/fruit juice over pellets and then serve it warm. Pretty good simulation of human food. You might also try "feeding" her with a spoon if she's inclined to that kind of thing.
The weird thing is she does not like fruit or fruit flavours it seems. She actually runs away from berries! Seriously! Runs!
Apple might work if I warm it up. I will give it a try. It is the only fruit she will take.

I have a feeling she was fed cheese sauce and ketchup in the past.

She loves scrambled eggs but I am afraid to feed her those more than once a week-too much protein-but when she won't take anything else, I cave in.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I make organic Marinara Sauce for Ella, she loves it. When I see she is bored/tired with her chop, I feed her the marinara sauce with her food don't have to use more than a tablespoon for flavoring on top of the boring food.

1/4 cup Palm Oil
oregano
Parsley
Cilantro
Cayenne powder
Hot Pepper flakes
Hemp, chia, flax seed
garlic powder
Red and Yellow Peppers
Carrots
Canned or fresh organic diced tomatoes

I add everything to a pan and cook for around 10 mins and puree it then freeze.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I make organic Marinara Sauce for Ella, she loves it. When I see she is bored/tired with her chop, I feed her the marinara sauce with her food don't have to use more than a tablespoon for flavoring on top of the boring food.

1/4 cup Palm Oil
oregano
Parsley
Cilantro
Cayenne powder
Hot Pepper flakes
Hemp, chia, flax seed
garlic powder
Red and Yellow Peppers
Carrots
Canned or fresh organic diced tomatoes

I add everything to a pan and cook for around 10 mins and puree it then freeze.
Ooh! This looks great! Thanks!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
So update...still worried I am not getting enough nutrients into Cocoa so tonight I added a warmed tablespoon of organic vegetable alphabet soup to a cup of wild rice, carrots and split peas. Never saw her eat so much. She also still eats better when I feed her off a spoon. I know the salt is not good but I have a feeling she is getting much less than she used to and I need to compromise to get some better nutrients into her. I will try ground pellets in it tomorrow.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Do you have any miso on hand? I found Bug was willing to eat almost anything if it had some of that with it. Nutritional yeast might be another option.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Any sauce without a lot of salt, butter, oil, ect. is ok for birds.
A little tomato sauce is fine especially if it's low sodium.
Spices of all kinds are good, too.
A good healthy sauce is birdie pesto, just some herbs and greens processed with walnuts or pine nuts - just leave out the garlic and most or all of the parmesan cheese.

If she was used to getting cheese sauce, you might try mixing mashed cooked sweet potato, winter squash or pumpkin with a little cheese sauce to trick her, then gradually decreasing the cheese.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Be careful about any onion in soups and sauces. I would also stay away from dairy, like yoghurt.

How about pureeing or mashing veg with some spices or herbs? You may also like to see if she likes tahini (made from sesame seeds) or nut butters (like almond butter) but check if they have added salt.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
She ate her whole dinner and even did yummy pinning eyes tonight. Home made turkey and wild rice soup wiith split peas and carrots- broth drained off. I am so happy to see her eat!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Be careful about any onion in soups and sauces. I would also stay away from dairy, like yoghurt.

How about pureeing or mashing veg with some spices or herbs? You may also like to see if she likes tahini (made from sesame seeds) or nut butters (like almond butter) but check if they have added salt.
Warmed pureed veggies (organic baby food works) with a little water to make them a bit more soupy, mixed with herbs and maybe peppers would be great. Maybe pretend to take a big bite from the spoon and then offer it to her. Lots of "ooooooh, yummy! want some?" as you do this.

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
Didn't know there were sauces for birds. That's interesting. In that case, sauces made out of or with veggies would be ideal and low salt. I make a marina sauce from crushed tomatoes and dollop it up with different seasonings. But I don't put it in Baby's pasta. He has is own toppings of seasonings.