• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Healthing Eats for Parrots

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
SOME GOOD THINGS FOR YOUR BIRD TO EAT:

Aloe Vera: Aloe stimulates the immune system.

Can add to the drinking water occasionally (one part aleo juice to three parts water) Aloe is a natural antihistimine and may help prevent feather destruction. Aloe spray helps alleviate itching and irritated skin. Parrots can eat thin slices of fresh aloe as a preventive or curative remedy. It is known to draw out infecton of wounds and regenerates healthy tissue.

SESAME SEED - UNHULLED

High in calcium and minerals. Unhulled is much higher in calcium than hulled. Unhulled is 88 mg. of calcium vs. hulled at 37 mg. This is about the same amount of calcium as a tsp. of crushed

ALFALFA

Leaves are rich in minerals like calcium, magnesium, potassium and carotene. Also A, K, and D. Alfalfa alkalizes and detoxifies the body, especially the liver. It is known to be an appetite stimulant. Do not feed the seeds as they are slightly toxic.

DANDELION

Natures richest vegetaable source of beta carotene (more than carrots). High in calcium. Helps with prevention of arthritis and reduce gout and uric acid. Excellent for liver disorders.

GINGER
Anti-inflammatory, may help with arthritis. Helps to reduce nausea for parrots with motion sickness.

MILK THISTLE
Protects and shields the liver. Can even rebuild the liver cells. Very helpful after a course of antibiotics. Parrots do enjoy the seeds. I get mine from Nuts.com and add it to herb salad along with hemp seed.

CINNAMON

Has several benefits: lowers cholesterol, helps yeast infections, helps with arthritis pain. Great source of mangeanese, fiber, iron and calcium.

GARLIC

Contains 18 anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacerial substances. Stimulates the immune system and kills paracites. Helps to protect the liver. It is a natural antibiotic which is safe for parrots. Lowers cholesterol and aids to neutralize aspergillus fungus. Be aware you bird will smell like garlic if you feed a clove or two. You can give your bird a clove and let him or her peel it.

Reference: Nourish to Flourish a cookbook for parrots by Phoenix Landing

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing this with us.

Matt

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I am so confused sometimes. I thought garlic was a bad thing to feed and that cinnamon was only allowed if it was ceylon because of coumarin?

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very helpful :highfive:

:thanks:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Garlic is good for humans and birds. I have been seasoning with cinnamon for years for my birds. Newbie where did you find these two were harmful?

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I knew cinnamon was good, but only ceylon (sp?) variety because of the levels of coumarin in the regular variety. I don't remember what it was about garlic, but it was a no no right along with onions and avacado. Don't remember where I read this, But if garlic is good for birds........, it is chop making weekend and I will definitely be adding some to at least one batch this weekend!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you don't mind you bird having garlic mouth go for it. I for one cannot stand the smell of garlic in any food. I know lots of people like to put it in their food. I looked up garlic and found some sites saying it is not ok for birds but the majority say its ok. I would call you vet and ask that person before putting it in your birds food on a regular basis. I would treat it as a medication actually so if you are not treating any specific thing like parasites or fungus I would not include it. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Wasn't trying to be a pest. Sometimes the amount of conflicting information is overwhelming and if someone knows and can set me straight, I will ask for clarification si I can be in the know, too. Guess it comes off a little argumentative. Sorry.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You are fine. You learn by asking questions.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I read the same things. In fact, I use ceylon cinnamon when cooking something I'll share with the parrots.

No garlic either (but I'm the worry wart).

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Thanks for the info! Turneric is also very healthy and safe for birds and humans alike. I often put a sprinkle of the powder in his food.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes it is good. I take somewhere day for inflammation from arthritis.