• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Health Me

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
So I've been looking into avian vets in my area both for emergencies and regular check ups. I have money saved away in case anything dire comes up but it got me thinking, would it be better to have pet insurance? I know pet insurance is common for dogs and cats but I couldn't find much in the case of birds and what I did find didn't offer much information. So do any of you have avian pet insurance? If so could you give me some information on it please?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Not available in Canada.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's expensive for what you get. I had it for my cats and the $20/month/cat plan only covered emergencies. It didn't cover any routine stuff. To get routine stuff covered, it was $45/month/cat. I would rather that money just go straight to my savings account, so that's what I did. Exotics and avians were comparable or more expensive than that.

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
It's expensive for what you get. I had it for my cats and the $20/month/cat plan only covered emergencies. It didn't cover any routine stuff. To get routine stuff covered, it was $45/month/cat. I would rather that money just go straight to my savings account, so that's what I did. Exotics and avians were comparable or more expensive than that.
Okay, thank you.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have VPI (now Nationwide ins) for Valentine and its $12.00 a month, she is on the medical plan. Here is the number if you want to call for info, 1 877 263 6008

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have VPI (now Nationwide ins) for Valentine and its $12.00 a month, she is on the medical plan. Here is the number if you want to call for info, 1 877 263 6008
Thank you.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Suggestion when choosing a carrier..
1. Check what the deductible is.
2. Ask about lab tests coverage and terms. Some lab tests may only covered if it results in treatment of an illness.
3. You will probably have to pay for the service in full at the time service is rendered and then turn in a claim to insurance company.
4. Check their coverage chart for percatage reimbursement for treatment. Some may be 80% or 70% and some companies have different levels of coverage.

I liked VPI. They were very helpful and processed claims quickly.
My cats had coverage with them. No personal experience with avian coverage though.
Good luck!