• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

He started barbering again!! UGH!

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
My bird is so close to feathering out completely, and then he barbered a good chunk of feathers in the last couple days!! :meh: He started going through a really heavy molt right after he finished antibiotics, but it could be the seasons changing that triggered it. I really hope this is just a minor setback, because I was so happy that we seemed to have found the cause of his issue...:arghh: Well, back to the itching meds and environmental adjustment.
I did give him meds, and that really reduced the amount of preening he did. So, he may just be itchy.:fingerscrossed:
I knew that if anyone cared, you guys would. I just need to vent my frustration.:sadhug2::grumpy:

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am so sorry. I know it is frustrating. Cricket had just about grown his feathers back in when he did it again too.
:bighug:

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
Thanks.:heart: I was kind of frustrated that he began molting so soon because the itchiness is part of what seems to make him over-preen, and having a bunch of uncomfortable pinnies just contributes to that problem. I can't wait for this molt to be over.:dead:

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Same thing happened with Charlie last year around this time. Your post reminded me to try some things right away so that it hopefully doesn't happen, or happens to a lesser extent, this year. Thank you for posting, though I'm sorry to hear about your guy's barbering. It can be so frustrating!

Do extra showers, humidifiers, healthy oils in his food (coconut, etc.) ever help with him? These things seem to help Charlie, but the season change usually still leads to some barbering regression.

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
He didn't barber at all today, so hopefully I nipped it in the bud. I try to give him every opportunity to bathe, but he just prefers to be really bad at it.:laugh:
I haven't tried giving him more coconut oil in his diet. Maybe that will help! We can bust out the humidifier, too.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm glad to hear it was a good day! I hope it continues!

Since he doesn't really like baths, does he tolerate a little spray from a bottle?

Laura729

Jogging around the block
He didn't barber at all today, so hopefully I nipped it in the bud. I try to give him every opportunity to bathe, but he just prefers to be really bad at it.:laugh:
I haven't tried giving him more coconut oil in his diet. Maybe that will help! We can bust out the humidifier, too.
I'm glad to hear it was a good day! I hope it continues!

Since he doesn't really like baths, does he tolerate a little spray from a bottle?
I got Charlie used to misting and bathing by putting him on the shower curtain rod when I was in the shower. The steam from that will be good too. Then I started doing a couple mists here and there until he got used to it. He still doesn't love a full, drenching shower, but sometimes he will stand for it (and I can usually get him pretty soaked with an extended spray session).

I think red palm oil (responsibly sourced!!) has helped my boys' feathers as well. I mix it in with their sweet potatoes. There's also a recipe on here you can check out if you search for "parrot butter."

Glad to hear the good news from today! :)

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm a big RPO fan, too. I put some in every batch of chop.

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
He is terrified of the spray bottle, so I'm still working on that. But he does tolerate at least being in the room while I shower and basking in the steam. Still working on bathing solutions, unfortunately.:meh:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is terrified of the spray bottle, so I'm still working on that. But he does tolerate at least being in the room while I shower and basking in the steam. Still working on bathing solutions, unfortunately.:meh:
When you use the spray bottle, do you spray him, or do you spray above him? Some birds are more comfortable when you spray above them, and let the water gently fall on them.

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
I spray above him. He feels the water droplets falling on him and starts growling and scurrying away. Doesn't matter where I try to do it.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
My descriptions sound a bit ridiculous, but bear with me :laugh:: If he will sit on the shower curtain rod with you, here are some things that worked with Charlie: splashing some water up/onto him while I was showering (though at first I would have to do it in subtle ways so he didn't realize I was doing it on purpose), bringing the spray bottle into the shower with me - maybe just let is sit on the side so he can observe it the first few times, then let him see you spray yourSELF with it a few times, and then try a few quick over the head mists, like Matt mentions below. And make sure you are having SO MUCH FUN during all of this, so he will see it's not so scary. Also, make sure to put down lots of towels. Haha.
You could also try a shower perch, if he doesn't seem to be scared of the shower/water itself.

When you use the spray bottle, do you spray him, or do you spray above him? Some birds are more comfortable when you spray above them, and let the water gently fall on them.
Great point!! And sometimes even pretending like I'm not trying to spray them has helped some of the birds at the rescue who are scared (I won't look at them directly, and will sort of "spritz" something near them, but make sure to get some water on them too).

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wonder if he's the type that would enjoy a dish to bathe in (maybe with some ice?) and the vacuum running?

Or maybe he'd prefer a bath made out of fresh, leafy greens?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
The other problem with pluckers is that they are prone to yeast on the skin/feathers. Dr. O always does a swab of skin when I have problems with Giggie plucking in addition to gram stains. She is pretty much naked but does let fuzzies come in when she is feeling well. So it's a month of F10 spraying on skin feathers to get rid of that yeast.

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
I've tried every method I have read about to get this bird to bathe: Taking him to a gently dribbling sink and letting him bathe on my hands and placing them in every possible position (now he hops onto my hands in sinks just to drink from them... I dunno, he never actually bathes), Wet leaves/lettuce, taking him into the shower, letting him stand in the sink, spraying him with water, getting him a larger water dish so he can bathe... I dunno, I can't think of more, but I went through a whole list of bathing ideas over the course of a month or so. What he's settled on is a large dish on his cage set at the top so it's near the heat lamp. He then proceeds to perch on the edge and dunk his face in and flap around like a weirdo, while getting little more than his belly and face wet. As shallow or deep as I make it, he's still too chicken to actually get into the dish, though he got close the other day. So, he just prefers to be bad at bathing.:wacky:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Ah! I used to have a bather like that! I've got a list... not sure if it'd help at all. I've also noticed that it helps to have another bird that *loves* to bathe to get birds who are less inclined to bathe to bathe, too...

You could try providing bathing opportunities in different ways. Here's some ideas!
  • Try luke-warm water
  • Try cold water
  • Try ice-cold water
  • Try a spray bottle
  • Try a plant mister
  • Try in the sink with the water running or just some water in the bottom
  • Try in the sink with the sprayer
  • Try in the tub with some water in the bottom
  • Try a casserole dish or similar with some water
  • Try the dish with ice
  • Try the dish with foot toys
  • Try the dish with some small rocks or pebbles
  • Try the dish with some leafy greens like endive or other types of lettuces that may create a "natural" bowl
  • Try the dish with a vacuum cleaner running
  • Try in the shower with you - watching you having a blast getting wet!
  • Try dancing the bird into the shower with the water already going
  • Try spritzing yourself, and have fun doing it! Then spritz the bird
  • Try outside in an empty cage large enough to spread wings during a nice rain shower
  • Try outside in an empty cage using the hose with a mist/shower attachment
  • Try playing videos of other birds bathing