• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hazel

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Hey, I have punted my bird before and like that, thought I had done him in but got lucky and we adjusted. I also lost Lurch do to a dumb mistake that was made walking in with a arm full of groceries when it was thought he was asleep and wouldn't notice the door being opened across the house from him.
You'll be a better Daddy for it and she'll have along happy life with you.

ChefWolverine

Meeting neighbors
Yeah, I just never want to feel like that again. When I found Gary I was heart broken, still not over it. My stupidity caused a death.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Yep, we had a big argument when Lurch escaped but then we moved on to a rescue mission and getting the word out. Had him about 6 years and he was finally really happy and loved me then he gets let out:sad13: Climbed two trees and knew where he was for two days, then he got chased away and haven't seen him since:sad1:
No matter what it hurts and we learn and move on but you never forget them and try to do better. Nothing is a 100 percent guarantee but that one will never happen again and you have a knew friend that needs you and will help with your pain:bluhug:

ChefWolverine

Meeting neighbors
Yep, we had a big argument when Lurch escaped but then we moved on to a rescue mission and getting the word out. Had him about 6 years and he was finally really happy and loved me then he gets let out:sad13: Climbed two trees and knew where he was for two days, then he got chased away and haven't seen him since:sad1:
No matter what it hurts and we learn and move on but you never forget them and try to do better. Nothing is a 100 percent guarantee but that one will never happen again and you have a knew friend that needs you and will help with your pain:bluhug:
Ugh, that's gotta suck. My cat stinky came back after 2 months. Was worried sick.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
What a cutie!!! :congrats:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well I hope someone has him and finds us someday but probably pretty doubtful at this point, but it has happened before if he found food and avoided being eaten.
Glad you got stinky back after all that time and I'm sure he's happy to be back.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Hazel is cute and I am glad to see you with another bird.

ChefWolverine

Meeting neighbors
Two weeks in and she still is very skittish. I understand Im a huge human, but she flys around like my sole purpose is to harm her.

What is the best approachment?

Just grab her and then shower love.

Wait for her

Im confoosed.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I think it best to wait for her and not to force anything. Two weeks is not a long time.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Birds are not like our other pets; they are prey instead of predators like us and our usual cat or dog. She is acting like prey because she does not yet trust you. Your relationship with Gary was special: because he immediately trusted you; that is unusual and a gift and unusually happens when the bird picks you rather than you pick the bird. Any way, what you need to do is "tame" her by wining her confidence. Leave her inside her cage which is her safe place, her rest place. Sit down on her level, not looming over her, and talk to her for at least a half hour twice a day every day. When you go over to talk to her, take a treat and offer the treat. At first she will not take it from you because right now you are a large, scary, potentially bird-eating monster, so just put it in her bowl and leave it there. Then either sit and talk to her or read to her, quietly and lovingly. The goal is to show her you will not harm her and you want to earn her trust. Say her name often to keep her attention on you. Once done talking with her, say goodbye and walk away. Any time you walk past her cage, say hello, also saying her name, and give her a treat. You are teaching her your presence means good food and quiet, trustful friendship. Toward the end of one or two weeks, she should start coming to the front of the cage and taking the treats from your hand. This is the first stage of what most people call "taming" but really is earning the trust of your bird so she accepts you as her flock member. It takes patience and time and work, but you will have a new, trusting bird once you accomplish it.

Depending on her personality, it will take you one to three months to have a fully docile and loving bird. It takes time and patience, but I know you have the patience because Gary trusted you and that says a lot about your personality. Do not force her to accept you or do anything like force her to leave her cage. She needs to trust you. In her eyes right now, her cage is the only safe place in the new environment.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Hazel is beautiful.

ChefWolverine

Meeting neighbors
She's only relaxed when held very comfortably. She'll sit in my hand forever as long as I have all my fingers around her and stroking "falls asleep easily". Or I make her a little hut with the blanket. If I don't do those two things, she either runs and buries her face in my neck, or fly's to her cage. I should channel my inner Yoda, but it's still frustrating after Gary.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I know it is hard but try not to compare as each bird is an individual. I have had Cricket for 18 months and he would not sit in my hand the way that you describe. Hazel sounds like she trusts you more than you think and is coming along. Think about being held by a giant hand that could tighten and squish you at any moment and still letting your guard down to snooze. That takes a lot of trust for a little bird. She no longer sees you as a predator if she does that. She has come a long way in a short time. You must be very good with her.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All birds are different, you'll figure it out!:hug8: