• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hawk headed Parrots in the nest?

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I had a pair of hawk headed parrots when I lived back in Texas. It was rough. Living in a mobile home. Looking for the next tornado. Trying to give them the privacy they needed with all the activity in the house. Me working all day. They went to a friend and I had not seen them for years. I learned that they had a smoker in the house and the birds were kept in the living room! I won't go into how I felt about that.

Now I have a place with a huge basement and lots of room. Windows that look out on a grassy area, they can see me gardening but most of all quiet, quiet, quiet. I don't really know the ages. They are up there.... They were part of a bird trading deal for a couple of cockatoos back in the late 90's. I had a wide assortment of nest boxes and gave them one meant for an amazon. Shavings, Rafia, sticks, they chew like crazy destroying (customizing) the nest box. I've had them downstairs now for three months. The tail feathers show a lot of wear and the aggression levels are really up. The female was handleable back in Texas but not now and I don't expect her to be right now. Chief as I called him and sweetie pie are knocking around downstairs. I had them in my art studio for awhile and did a portrait of them. They were not set up then. I might post one or two of the pictures I did of them sometime later on for others to see.

I had some reservations about taking them in. My arthritis is pretty restrictive as far as climbing stairs goes but, as I see it, all I need to do is visit them once a day. Lots of good food. No one else goes in this room. I keep the door locked since neighbors do wander in along with my husband and startling birds like these can lead to cracked eggs or an injured female. I have clearly put a sign on the door. Breeding Birds! Quiet! Keep Out Please! I've seen Chief chase her away from people who come in the room as some cockatoos I've bred notoriously do. I am really kind of excited about hand raising. We will see what happens.....If I just give them a quiet place to live out their lives I will be so happy. They will too. Who could need more? It's thundering and we just had a huge rainstorm with hail. They love it I know.

I can't help rescuing old friends.
Kate

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wishing you well.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Best of luck Hawk Headed have a special place in my heart :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Where there's life, there's hope. Best of luck! They are a captivating species.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
You know what, I would not be surprised if they were on an egg right now. In the past with my Painted Conures I left them alone Until I heard peeping in the nest box. I had a few eggs break when one or the other parent got rough when I was trying to see inside. We have had freak thunderstorms with lots of rain lately. They are so excited and restless. I don't care how long they are here as long as they are in a non smoking household and I can keep them healthy.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Two eggs in the nest box! They have been quiet for a month now. Very quiet. I now have a stair lift in my house which has made a huge difference in my life. I can visit them three times a day or more. They like me. The window downstairs near their cage looks out on the lawn at ground level. I hope this goes well. I have been down with a bad virus for a month now. I hope I feel well enough to hand feed. It's going to be awhile though. Right now the more quiet the better. My husband knows that no one is allowed near the door to the room and I've got a lock on that door too. No kids. They get really nervous with the high pitched screams of our neighbors kids so they don't come over now. Parents have been warned! They hatched out 9 of their own over the past 12 years! Kids I mean.

I really do like kids....its just the constant high pitched screamers that I can't stand.
Wish us luck!

Last edited:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Good luck!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How exciting! Hoping they're fertile. That'll make your life interesting, in a good way. :)

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so excited for all of you :starshower1:

Please continue to update us!

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Wow what a wonderful thing :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:dance4: Nana banana likes! Wow hawkheads are very regal!

Enjoy them.:p:p:p

I'm dealing with cancer now so its not good.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Hi Camelotshadow! I haven't heard from you in so long. Sent you a message.

My Hawkhead eggs (2 eggs) hatched. A third was infertile. The babies were sold and were very easy to raise. Now the parents are enjoying a long long rest and I really don't want to breed them again. It seemed to take a lot out of them. It's been a year and a half now. I was sick for longer, about two years and did not have the energy to think about any more. I am fine now.

It was a good experience for me since my bird breeding days (1972 to 1999) are over. Too much of a demand on this lady and I needed to find one of those boring things called a "Regular Job" (oh barfff!!)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hi,

Hope you & the flock & family are well.

I have a Hawkhead now!!!! Her name is Penny & she is 21 years old! Guess out HH's are about the same age...

How cool you got them back after all those years.

Sun P1030796 red.jpg

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
How are things going with the happy to be home couple?