• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Having a really strange problem with peeing...

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
Miss Kitty is about 13-14 years old, so I wouldn't be surprised if she's having problems (medical and/or mental) but she's recently started peeing around the house. She had kittens years and years and years ago and was fixed shortly after and has never had a problem with this in the past, even when we had a cat that had a serious problem with spraying she never took part. Now it's the weirdest thing, any clothes on the floor or in a clothes basket she will pee all over. She doesn't show any other troubling signs, she's not in pain, and appears to be mentally stable. I've caught her doing it once and it was so strange because she had no sense of urgency at all, I was in the bathroom and she walked in like she normally would (No privacy with a cat), walked over to some clothes I had laying there, moved as if she was going to sit and watch me, and then just peed. I yelled her name a couple times and she didn't seem to care, it was like "You're peeing? I guess I will too." I don't have the money to take her to a vet right now, does anyone know anything that I can do at home or know why she would be doing this? Help!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When a cat purposely pees in front of you, there is a reason. Usually it is medical, sometimes it is something bothering them. One of mine will pee in front of me like that if she is stressed out by other people or animals in the house, or if I haven't cleaned her litter box in 36 hours.

Cats are really good at hiding illness, and inappropriate peeing, especially all of a sudden with no noticeable trigger, warrants a vet visit sadly.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Urinary issues in cats are pretty common. Typically abnormal urination is due to medical issues that can lead to behavioral issues. Cats that experience discomfort when urinating, due to UTIs or crystals, will associate the litter box with this discomfort. They then begin urinating elsewhere - just outside the litterbox, on clothes, etc.

Unfortunately, like @Mizzely said, these issues need to be addressed by a vet. They will do a urinalysis to see if there are any changes in her urinary tract that would warrant such behaviors. These can be one-off issues that clear up with a round of antibiotics or a change in diet, or can be lifelong issues that need to be managed.

Any changes you make now will be a shot in the dark and may not help at all. It's best to have her seen as soon as possible so you can prevent these issues from progressing - especially if it's something like crystals. Crystals can lead to blockages (even in female cats) that can be life-threatening emergencies.

Look into CareCredit or similar if you're in a financial bind.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would suggest you have a visit with your vet to do an urinalysis. With cats they put a guided needle in the bladder and take out a sample of urine for testing. Could also have crystals. Hope she gets better!

I will tag Mr. Cat Man @Sylvester

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
It wouldn't surprise me if it were crystals, but as the others said, it's time for a vet visit. Problems with urination can become very serious very quickly. We lost one of our cats because of it.