• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Having a bird makes me happy but also a bit sad

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Dona, that's so well said!

I'm in with Sherman listening to the conures call for me. It's hard, but this is Sherman's "open cage with Mom" time.
Yep it's Mom and Gigi time right now too. She's beaking the computer screen.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I thought of another thing over the weekend that might help you feel better. Whenever I don’t want to be away from Waffle, I remind myself that if all goes well I’ll have ~20 YEARS with her! So a couple hours away is a drop in the bucket compared to how much time we are going to have together overall. :heart:

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Yeah but I also get worried she'll die early. :c Just how I am lol. But actually I feel better since Yesterday because I ordered her a bigger cage, her old one is a mere 13 x 25 inches but her new one is 37.5 x 18 inches so it'll give her more room so I can put more toys, foraging spots, etc to at least keep her busy. Right now she has a good number of toys but it makes the space even smaller because it's a bit narrow, once she can fly it would be difficult to actually utilise flight inside her cage.

Last edited:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh, I have those worries too. I freak out pretty regularly that Waffle’s going to have some terrible, unforeseen accident and I’ll lose her. But I try to remind myself that’s true of everything/everyone I care about. It’s just part of being human, I guess.

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
As mentioned by others, leaving the bird for a number of hours a day isn't so bad.
It shows that you are a caring person. And it's part of the course feeling guilt we all do, it isn't unusual.
Cheer up and keep the bird healthy and happy, what more can you do .
Good luck with the Mandarin as a practicing taoist I should learn mandarin . Along with tai chi and kung fu plus reading up on traditional Chinese medicine etc
Unfortunately I have to read translations by others who follow the Dao. I can speak some words but the characters are not easy .
Anyway chin up, and keep up being caring.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
As mentioned by others, leaving the bird for a number of hours a day isn't so bad.
It shows that you are a caring person. And it's part of the course feeling guilt we all do, it isn't unusual.
Cheer up and keep the bird healthy and happy, what more can you do .
Good luck with the Mandarin as a practicing taoist I should learn mandarin . Along with tai chi and kung fu plus reading up on traditional Chinese medicine etc
Unfortunately I have to read translations by others who follow the Dao. I can speak some words but the characters are not easy .
Anyway chin up, and keep up being caring.
That's cool! I'm interested in daoism myself but I don't know that much about it. I definitely feel better now that my bird has a bigger cage at least. Thinking of if I should set up a semi-permanent bath for her or not. I was gonna wait for a steady income before getting the cage but when I thought about it more... I want her to get used to a new cage early so that when my schedule changes at least the environment is familiar.

Last edited:

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Daoism is a way of thinking, the more I learn about it the more I like it. To be perfectly honest, I only got into is was through tai chi.
The philosophy is interesting and gripping. Plus you learn how the Chinese view the human body, it's a deep subject.