• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Have you seen budgies in the wild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polytelismedia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Don Kimball
I have loved budgies for a long time and use to house them in a good sized aviary in Canada but I always wanted to see them in the wild. As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum I did just that in 2008. While some of the more spectacular Australian species can really knock your socks off I have to admit that if you had asked me what my top 3 most wanted Aussie parrots were, that budgies were number two actually! I have always loved them. They are tough amazing little birds and live in some of the harshest of areas. Here is a female who is part of a flock of several hundred in outback Queensland.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you want to see a super brief look at a flock flying wild you are welcome to take a look at the trailer of my newly released film Australia - Discovering the World of Parrots.
The youtube embedded clip here if anyone wants to view it:
http://store.wptestore.com/servlet/Detail?no=256

Don

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
beautiful...and I have seen those pics of wild budgies flying in the huge flocks..I heard they are the hardiest of all t he birds down t here

AngelGoffin

I have never had the pleasure of seeing them in the wild. That would sure be something! I can't even imagine how loud they'd be. I have two and those little guys are LOUD! :)

Polytelismedia

Real Name
Don Kimball
I have never had the pleasure of seeing them in the wild. That would sure be something! I can't even imagine how loud they'd be. I have two and those little guys are LOUD! :)
It was amazing! When I was filming I stayed in the shearers quarters (an old home that used to house outback workers) and only about 50 meters from my window was a huge gum tree that budgies kept flying into as dusk came on. By the time they had finished finding a place to roost among their flock members there would have been about 1000 individuals. The noise was incredible! It sounded kind of like a metallic waterfall. Of course that part is included in the film.

This image is from the footage where I captured these little beauts feeding in an old cattle pasturing area. It was hot so like most budgies in our avaries in the heat of the afternoon they sat in the shade and chattered happily with their wild flock buddies.

Budgies eat everything in their environment it seems! and will actually jump right into the cow patties (the dried ones) and look for seeds! (no pampered diet for these tough little guys)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Status
Not open for further replies.