• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Have You Ever Noticed...?

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
Has anyone here ever noticed any strange and unexplained phenomena with their birds?

So the other day Sephor was on my right hand and kept tipping his head to try to get SCRITCHES on his left side of head. It wasn't working the way he wanted it to and so I attempted to get him to step up on my other hand so I could get that side in just the way he likes better. Once up I attempted to SCRITCH him and he kind of threatens to attack my hand....

...So I put him on my right hand again and go to SCRITCH him and he just starts happily enjoying it.

Sephor will only let me SCRITCH him with my LEFT hand????

I experimented with this for awhile and have found for some odd reason it is like he thinks my hands are different creatures with a different purpose. My right hand is a PERCH and left hand is a SCRITCHER.

I just find this funny and fascinating. Any one else experience this?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Sometimes, they see (for whatever reason) one particular hand as evil or a bird-eating-monster. It does happen. Rupert was this way about my left hand for several months after I adopted him. If the left hand was even resting on my leg or even off to the side of my leg, he would actively try to warn it off.

As you can see, we're past that now. :lol: The left hand is the cuddling hand. You'd be surprised how well you adapt to being able to hold them and scratch with the same hand. It's awkward, but doable.

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
BeAuTiFuL baby......what kind of bird Conure?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
He's a Green Cheek Conure. The mutation is turquoise.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I have one cockatiel who will not allow me to touch him if he cannot see both my hands at the same time. Sunshine does not realize my feet and toes are attached to my body. If my feet are bare, she tries to rip off my toenails and is surprised and unhappy when I yell in pain and make her stop!

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
Funny you asked, I have one for you guys too. "Baby" has started a strange new habit. I videoed it to show you all, but the light was bothering her.
She is obsessed with a ring of mine. She sits and holds it in her beak, and closes her eyes like she's going to sleep.
In the video, she is only holding it for a few seconds, but this has bee going on for several days now.

Attachments