• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Have you ever found that your birds find certain colour mutations more attractive?

Comet

Strolling the yard
What prompts this question is that, out of my four breeding age, in condition female budgies, one of my previous males, Comet, partnered up with a lutino hen (I have two), and now my other male, Periscope, has paired up with my other lutino. Prior to selecting their mates, both males had been exposed to my two differently coloured females, as well.
I'm wondering if this is just coincidence, or if their colours actually could play a large role in partner selection. Have you had any observations such as this?
One thing I can think may have driven their choice, is that my two lutino hens do seem to be more hormonal, and more apt to nest, than my two other females.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I know budgies identify health and attraction through the appearance of cheek patches, throat spots, etc under UV light. However I do not know much about budgies beyond the documentary I watched.

Do your birds get to spend time under UV light so they can see each other this way?

Chickens also use UV to determine the health of their chicks. Really amazing stuff :)

Comet

Strolling the yard
My birds do get exposure to UV light, yes. The cheek patches on my lutino hens are very nice and white :)
Thanks for the replies!