• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

have been thinking seriously about getting a chameleon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
can anyone offer any insight? how do you care for them? what do they eat? how big should their enclosure be? I saw a male and female and their cage and accessories on CL for only 250!! :eek: should have jumped on the opportunity, they are long gone.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a male veiled chameleon. He was about 2 inches when I got him and was about 10 1/2 inches when he passed. I kept him in a 30 gallon terrarium. Vents on the side, screen lid and a reptile light on top. I had an automatic mister that came on 4 times a day. Humidity and heat are important. Diet was crickets, mealworms with heads removed and wax worms. He became ill one winter and we were in the middle of a horrible snow storm. Over 3 feet on the roads. I spoke with the vet several times and we could not save him sadly.
He enjoyed going outside on the plants in the summer and catching butterflys. I do not recommend a Panther chameleon. They can be rather nasty.

Stacy_b

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Stacy
Love Chameleons. Very hard to care for. The cage should be well ventilated, they can get sick easy. Make sure you water often, they dehydrate easy.
If you get a female be sure to have a place for her to dig, in case she needs to lay eggs, you dont want her to get egg bound. Keep the temps steady also.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I love chameleons, however it can be /very/ difficult to treat them if they become ill

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
what is a good price for a veiled, about 4 inches long? i think its 2 years old, on CL but the home is WAY too small.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
4 inches is pretty small for a 2 yr old. Mine was about 7-8 inches at 1 yr. I paid $80 for a 2 inch baby.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
sorry i was looking at another add.... mixed them up. it is young, the 2 year old is like 8 or 9 inches :o:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
is the red reptile light ok for all the time or should it be a uvb bulb (full spectrum)?

usakoinwonderland

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mari
I've always wanted a chameleon so I find all of this fascinating :)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Don't forget pictures!!

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
I know zippo about chameleons... but I never knew they're hard to care for?? We've got Jackson's chameleons all over our island and a lot of people have them as pets. I guess Jackson's are more hardy than others?

I looked up the Veiled and it's pretty!!
:)

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
i guess they need vitamins and calcium supplements, but you have to dust the bugs, and feed the bugs to get the vitamins in the chameleon. they can't have a lot of vit. a either, it is better as beta carotene?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I had a friend, actually the person who I got Sheba from. He had the panthers. The males are beautiful. He had elaborate systems for each one with misters and all that. He had very poor luck even though he had everything for them. Especially the females, which all died. They are cool, but not an easy pet to keep. Make sure you have some kind of power back up in case of cold, or power outage.Good luck!:)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Oh my it's so tiny!!!! So cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.