• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

have a new addition called Angel

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Hello everyone
It's been a while since I have posted. Any way we now have an 5year old female Eclectus called Angel. She is a rehome Parrot, Apparently she was a screamer. From what information I received, she was hand-raised but when she became hormonal she became aggressive and draw blood when she bit. So instead of working through this stage, she was put in a cage outside and left to her own devices. She was fed well but had no interaction of any kind until she became a screamer. The Neighbours complained to the council and the end result was a rehomed parrot. (my gain their lost)

We have had her for nearly three weeks. On day one, she screamed for half the day which is understandable but she hasn't screamed since. We have her inside with us and spend 4 to 5 hours with her and Henry (outside the cage). She has bitten me twice and drew blood both times. I have persevered and now I can get her to step up from inside the cage and then step down onto the play gym and back, takes food from my hand, scratches on the chest, beak and feet, sits on my shoulder and preens, stretches. She is still a bit nervous so we avoid fast movements around her. I believe food and interaction will win her over.

Henry doesn't like to share his play gym with her but is fine with sharing food at dinnertime. go figure.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Poor girl, being stuck outside and ignored for all that time. Thank you for taking her in and giving her a second chance. Hormones can be a difficult time, for us and particularly the bird. Take it slow and on her own terms, and her being good motivated is always helpful :).

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think you're doing well, but I wouldn't trust a hormonal bird on my shoulder. Thanks for taking her in and working with her.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks for taking her in :) Its wonderful you can give her a second chance. It's crazy how many stories there are like this one :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for taking her into your home. Post some photos when you get a chance.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Hi all
Angel is sitting on my shoulder and every once in a while she will preen my beard or ear for 3 to 5 seconds. She is setting in really well. I do believe that she isn't aggressive just scared and lonely.

Birdie Onions

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tarryn
I think you're doing well, but I wouldn't trust a hormonal bird on my shoulder. Thanks for taking her in and working with her.
I agree, I'd rather keep her on the hand where you able to observe her actions.
Also I read that a bird is all about dominance, and one of the hierarchy levels, is who is higher.
So by her being on your shoulder you promoting her to your level, which could end up with her taking dominance by biting.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I believe that the reason why some birds are perched higher, is to lookout for predators like birds of prey. Just like the birds on the lower branches lookout for snakes and other predators. This is why flocks succeed in the wild.

Birdie Onions

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tarryn
Hi,
Apparently it has to do with the behaviour of making themselves bigger when they feel threatened.
It helped with Sterling my blue and gold, when he went through "puberty".
He became very aggressive at times and would try and attack, especially when he was on top of his cage, he'd spread his wings and go into attack mode.
Which is about 2.5 meter, so you can imagine us trying to get him.
When I read the article, I found it very informative, it stated that you should keep aggressive parrots at the same level or lower, in this way you have control of the situation.
It also enables you to read their body language better, and anticipate a bite before it happens.
Apparently in the wild when they have a disagreement, the stronger will push the defeated off the perch, hence winning and establishing dominance.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I agree that it would be best to keep her on your hand for the time being, until hormone season has passed.

I do not agree with the notion of height dominance in parrots. Birds are essentially wild animals that we have in our homes, they are not domesticated like cats and dogs. Thus they have no instinct to do things to please us. Dogs respond (for better or for worse) to dominace training. If you yell or show force at a dog, it generally becomes submissive-- not a good way to train a dog. (On a side note, humans respond to dominance training as well.)

Birds have no desire or instinct to please people and do not respond to dominance training. So when a bird is up high and refuses to step up it is acting on it's on accord- it doesn't want to step up and it's harder to force a bird to do so when it is higher. I do not think this is increased aggression or dominance, but the bird taking advantage of the situation to do what it wants to do versus what you want it to do. Working with trick training helps your bird to want to do certain actions, and can reduce what we would consider behavior issues but what are truly just natural behavior for a wild animal. :)

I would love to see some pictures of her whenever you get a chance!

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I believe it’s referred to has ‘dominance theory’. It is a theory that is commonly used to train dogs. I believe it’s called pack leader” training. The dog’s human family essentially takes on the role of the pack and because there is a hierarchy in a wild dog pack. So, you need to be the alpha dog to have control of your dog, Therefore, the training is done accordingly. This is animal behavioral theory that I would never apply to a bird.

I have trouble applying that theory to a flock. I have observed large flocks of Corellas feeding on grasslands together and watch the birds take turns in feeding and looking out for predators. The entire flock gets to eat because the role of lookout is rotated throughout the flock. There is no alpha pair Because if there was, they would have to constantly fight to maintain their hierarchy status. Imagine a flock of two hundred plus birds. The alpha pair just wouldn’t be able to physically fight two hundred plus birds just to be boss. Birds aren’t that stupid. The stature of the flock is fairly level. Bird behavioral theory and dog behavioral theory are different for a reason.

Sometimes behaviors produced by roles within the structure of the flock could be interpreted as dominant. Such has adult and juvenile relationships, otherwise puberty vs maturity. Also, mating relationships which can be bonded or competitive. Because a bird appears to have an advantage from these behaviors doesn’t mean they are dominant. Just because humans classified the role behaviors as dominant. The bossy bird maybe a lookout, a juvenile going through puberty or a bird in mating. This doesn’t mean that they think they’re the alpha birds. My birds are only allowed on my shoulder when I’m sure they are happy and I know that I can get them off safely. I’m cautious about letting a hormonal bird on my shoulder.

I will download some photos soon.

Birdie Onions

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tarryn
Hi, I've never thought to look up this theory until now.
And the consensus that I've found on the net, are in agreement with you guys, the fact that birds do not have a need to dominate.
I didn't know or even think to question this article I read.
Think it was in a book about parrots I read.
Just shows you that talking and joining other people and your interests, opens doors to your world and the way of thinking.
And not to believe everything you read!
Thank you for widening my horizon.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Last night I was sitting down watching TV with Angel and Henry and decided to have a bowl of cheese twisties. Well Angel ran down my arm and pulled out the biggest twisties from the bowl and proceeded to eat it like it was her last meal. I'm was quite surprised by her behaviour has she is still very cautious. I think she has been given twisties before. But she will not be getting anymore has they are just not good for her.

She is starting to be a bit more adventurous now. we have a plastic ball with holes in it and when rolled to her she attacks it very savagely and throws it around.