• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hate to be the bad guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

iam_second

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Blake Cox
Having some disipline issues with bailey. Got some useful advice from the breeder on how to handle her and useful tips on how to train her to behave like a good little girl lol. Now the problem seems to be that since im the one whos disciplining her she doesnt want to play with me anymore. Is this normal?? im not being rough with her but was taught how to pick her up a certain way if she is misbehaving/biting and put her in her travel cage with a blanket over it for about 15 minutes. I need help, you guys are pro's at this parenting stuff lolll how can i get my little girl to like me again???

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
positive reinforcement is better then punishment give Baily treats for doing what you want putting Baily in a travel cage will just make her hate the cage or you for doing it you may even try clicker training we have a second on that

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I'm sorry to say, but your breeder gave you some terrible advice. Basically, that's called punishment-- the best way to deal with behavioral issues is to use positive reinforcement, and NEVER to punish your bird as it completely breaks all trust and will just continue to degrade and break down your relationship. I can't elaborate right now but will come back to this after work!

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
Food...they best way to a Caique's heart. Try some training sessions with special treats. That always works with Nani.

How old is Bailey?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Your breeder is giving you old fashioned wrong headed advice. What your doing is boarder line abuse. May I ask what behaviors your having problems with. We can help you better if we know what's going on. Cynthia is right, though in that you want to praise her lavishly when she does something right and ignore the stuff she does wrong. You reinforce what you pay attention to.

Ginger

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
By the way, there is nothing wrong with a time out for a misbehaving little girl. It is not abuse. But I wouldn't cover her with a blanket. Just put her back in her cage when she is naughty and giver her a chance to calm down (ignore her if she is screaming) for 15 mins. When she has calmed down you can go get her with special treats. Sometimes when Nani is really worked up I also put her in her travel cage for about that long. She goes right in, I don't have to force her. She seems to like it and starts singing away. I have it in the bathroom, she likes the acoustics in there. (I turn on the fan) The other day she actually got off her cage, went in the bathroom, entered the cage all by herself lol. It's just how you go about it. Make it a positive experience...a chance for her to calm down.

Last edited:

iam_second

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Blake Cox
she just turned 4 months. I was a little worried too when i was informed that putting her in her cage with a blanket was the best possible solution. My wife and i and everyoen that we have introduced her too have given her very much praise and attention with lots of kisses so she is deff not lacking there. The specific behavior i was trying to target was jumping down from her cage to the floor when we put her back on her perch on top of the cage, and she has been biting and screeching when we try to get her to step up sometimes for no apparent reason. She is still just a baby and it breaks my heart to put her in the travel cage. i dont want to be an abuser, i love her too much!!

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
Ok, this is a battle of wills which you will encounter A LOT with Caiques. Here is my best advice: suck it up and take it lol. If she bites and screeches you must COMPLETELY ignore it and walk away. Even if your hand is bleeding and you come away missing a few digits. :D Putting her in the travel cage won't work for this particular behavior. If she insists and climbs back down then you simply pick her up without saying a word and lock her in her cage for a while. However, I should warn you that Caiques are not like other birds and actually enjoy being on the floor. They are much happier climbing around than flying and seem fascinated with where thier little tootsies can carry them. This will be a lifelong "problem" so you'll have to be diligent.

By climbing down on the floor she may be telling you she is bored with where she is and you could also try transferring her to a play gym or other acceptable area of the house. I have one cage in the living room and one in the bedroom by the window. The feather-butts like to go in the bedroom and look out the window for hours at a time.

Last edited:

iam_second

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Blake Cox
i have noticed that she loves the ground, the problem im having is that when my wife and i are getting ready for work shes right under our feet and i like to take all the birds out in the morning before we both leave the house. so you can see the problem being if we ewre to step on her i could never live with my self lol. i will try the just walking away after biting idea and possibly buying a gym for her to play on in the living room tho she would mmuch rather be on the floor. Thank you very much for your help everyone glad i caught this problem early so i didnt make any long term mistakes that would damage our relationship. Doodlebird im keeping you on speed dial for all my Caique needs lol

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Okay she should NOT be on the floor when your getting ready for work, that is just an accident waiting to happen. She should be safe in a cage where she can watch the action but not get hurt. If she likes to be on the floor you need to have structured play times when she can do that, again in a safe way. No dogs or cats out while she's toodling around. And at 4 months, she is a baby and you do not have a "discipine" problem, you have a teaching opportunity. If you are consistant she will learn that she is not allowed on the floor when your getting ready, but she is allowed on the floor when you have the time and diligence to watch her and play with her.

Ginger

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
i have noticed that she loves the ground, the problem im having is that when my wife and i are getting ready for work shes right under our feet and i like to take all the birds out in the morning before we both leave the house.
Is it possible to bring her into the bathroom with you, possibly letting her perch on the shower curtain while you shave or whatever? I usually drape a towel over the shower curtain bar and let Nani and Piper sit up there while I put on make up and do my hair. If you go from room to room then you may just have to take her with you. She wants to be right in the action and by leaving her she must take it upon herself to come see what's going on. ;)
The playpen will help a lot too but you'll have to cover it head to toe in toys for it to be interesting for her. Maybe try making mornings a time when she gets her fresh foods so that she'll be busy eating while you get ready. You can serve them on her playpen so that it is her special place where tasty food and toys await her.
Like I said before though, this will always be an issue as Caiques just love the floor. You'll probably have better luck training yourself to watch for her than training her to stay on the perch lol. :rolleyes:

Magic

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Micchickie is a floor monkey he will climb down off the cage so i made up a game for him to try to keep him from going in the floor so much when i see him climb down i walk over and say no no up up up come on up up and tap my hand on the top of his cage with my hand and boy does he run up to the top of the cage to see what im doing i then praise him for doing what i asked and give him a goodie ive ben doing this for along time now and now he barley comes down off the cage unless i take to long out of the room

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Try a hanging gym, that way she doesn't have access to the floor at all. Good luck with what ever you decide.

iam_second

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Blake Cox
I apologize for the late response. She is doing much better now! I took a little bit from everyone's advixe. She couldn't be happier now to sing in the bathroom while we get ready for work its like she's a totally different bird while she's in there. Thank you again for all the replies!

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
That's great to hear things are going well with Bailey and you guys have found a morning routine that works. :D Just make sure the toilet seats are down when she is in the bathroom. I am a nervous nelly that one of the fids will land in there by accident or curiosity. :p Does Bailey enjoy a morning shower? We do a trade off so both fids can get a nice shower in the mornings, and they love it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.