• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has Zupreem changed it's formula?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I just bought a new bag of the cockateil size Zupreem natural last week and it looks different. It looks...I don't know...drier and a tiny bit darker? And the ball shapes are not consistently the same size, and they are not perfect circles. And Blu doesn't seem to like it as much. Am I just imagining this?

Last edited:

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I've noticed it's a little different, too, but my guys all eat it just fine.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
They did change it and I had to put the whole bag in the chop I make to freeze, kinda great way to absorb the moisture also though in the chop. They will eat it that way so it didn't go to waste.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It's not changed, it varies from batch to batch. I call and complain when I get those dry ugly GREASY bags. My birds hate it.
I hope you're right because I was so happy Blu liked Zupreem so much so hopefully my next bag will be how it used to be. I don't see grease in my bag though. Did you call Zupreem directly to complain, or the store you bought it from?

But I read some Amazon reviews just now out curiosity and a couple of people said their pellets were bigger? :shrug:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm still going through a bulk bag I had in the freezer, but the boys have decided Caitec Oven fresh is their new favorite. Maybe I won't be buying Zupreem anymore!

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I purchased two bags that were the same, I would say a chance they changed something especially the odds of 6 weeks apart from two different vendors. This is only the cockateil pellet size, I have so much for Ella that I haven't purchased any in 6 months to know if it has changed for the larger babes.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Trust me, I buy the huge bag once a month. Sometimes they are small dried up yucky looking pellets that my birds don't like. Other times they are large and normal colored.

You guys buy small bags with windows... look at them through the package before you buy them.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Trust me, I buy the huge bag once a month. Sometimes they are small dried up yucky looking pellets that my birds don't like. Other times they are large and normal colored.

You guys buy small bags with windows... look at them through the package before you buy them.
That's a good idea! Thanks!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I buy 20 lb bags and freeze! No window there lol

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
What window... LOL

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Windows
3-lbs.jpg

Look good batch
images.jpg

Bad batch
62193200a.jpg

What I buy
1390163-left-1.jpg

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I emailed Zupreem last night so I will let you guys know what they say when they reply.

It's a good thing Blu has taken to Golfenfeast and Roundybush pellets too. Though my Roundybush bag is the older bag with no alfalfa. Not sure if he's going to like their new formula.

But he doesn't eat as many pellets of any other kind except Zupreem so I will go to the store to look for a good batch today.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well not bird food but the bags of cement we use at work to repair chimneys will sometimes be a bit off too. I think the machines adding the ingredients and mixing them get messed up and we get bags of topping mix that just don't mix well and it has the consistency of silly putty which is very hard to work with. Next batch will be back to what we are used too and they swear they haven't changed anything.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I got a reply from Zupreem. It says-

"We have not changed the formula. But I can check our customer logs and look at retained samples. To do so I need the date code and lot code off the back of the bag. Can you provide this? Thanks."

I will have to get that info to her later because I'm not home but I'm so glad Sarah was right. I will go get a new bag today. :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I own 500 something birds... ;) They eat a lot of food so therefor I buy a lot of food. :laugh:

Tell zupreem to get their crap together! This is not new and it happens often. Tell them you almost switched food because your bird dislikes it. :D

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I got another email from Zupreem the other day that said -"Diane, we haven’t had any comments from bird owners on this date code and I looked at the retained samples and the texture and it looks good. Let me send you a voucher for a free bag of food. Can you give me your address."

I went to the store today to buy a new bag, since I can't wait for the free bag voucher, and now that I pay close attention to how they look through the bag window I noticed that out of the 3 bags they had on the shelf, 2 of them had tiny pellets that are not the same size, and one bag had bigger perfectly round pellets, but they looked a tad bit darker.

So I went with the smaller pellet bag because the pellets were lighter colored and the date was a little fresher (all 3 bags were labeled cockatiel size) I hope Blu will eat them.

But what's up with the inconsistencies in shapes & sizes & color? Are they made in different locations or something?

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I am not sure, my guys won't eat the darker colored pellets.