• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone used this harness?

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
MacawHarnessWEBSM.gif

And if so, what did you think?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That is a mega harness!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
When my Freddy is more socializedI want to get him a harness so he can go out with us. Trying to figure out which is the best to buy??

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I bought them in December, had their names inscribed. Haven't tried them out yet. Due to the Fire's and then Holidays. I like how their made. I will post when I try them out with the birds. I got the e-z RIDER style

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Following

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Ohhhh interesting!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It apparently comes in different sizes and just goes over the head and shoulders - you don't have to pull wings through.
Yes that is great that you don't need to touch their wings, but in fact that is also why I think that The Aviator is so safe. Their is no way that they can get out of The Aviator.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I ended up buying an Aviator and I am starting to get Cocoa familiar with it.
Sorry, didn't see that the thread was old.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
No worries. I would still like to hear how they work.

julietta

Moving in
Real Name
Julietta
Hi! We have two Indian Ringnecks who couldn't be more disimilar. Our one love, Habibi, loves to be cuddles and stroked. This makes me think we might be able to coax him into a harness. I'd love to take him outside.

But someone suggested that bird harnesses are actually cruel, because the bird suddenly becomes aware of the limits we put on them. Like pressing a prisoner's face to the window. I'd love any input.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I started Blu on an Aviator harness a week after I got him. I first worked with him allowing me to run my hands over and down both sides of his head then allowing me to hold his wings up for 10 seconds. The first time I put the harness on he didn't seem to mind at all. After a walk outside for about 10 minutes he easily allowed me to remove it. Every time his harness is put on we go somewhere outside of his usual territory. Now when the harness comes out he is ready to "suit" up and go for an adventure.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I think just like any dog or other animal, our pet birds don't really realize they are being limited by the harness. When my son was a toddler I put a harness on him, because he wouldn't stay with us and wouldn't hold our hand. My mom used them for us, many elderly people stopped me and said they wished more people would use them. The younger crowd was strongly opposed. My son was a toddler, was happy and liked that he could walk by himself. I liked the peace of mind. Freddy will like it once he realizes it will open up his world and I think it's sadder to confine him to the house. Just my opinion.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I have a beautiful 12x14 ft gazebo that we use in the summer. I am hoping to have a swing or boing out there for Freddy when we go out. But no harness is no out. I won't take a chance on losing him.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Harness training a bird is comparable to let's say, like putting a collar and leash on a puppy for the first time, most not all, tend to carry-on pulling crying and what not, horse same thing, saddle breaking. So far I'm able to put over their head& wings, the difficulties lie in trying to get a good fit , of course they are clearly not happy about me fitting them for this . Familiarization every other day in harnesses training, is my goal. I stop when I see they are are stressed and starting to pant. The plus side to all this ...for the rest of the day they are so good ! Usually they are into everything...after harness training they are the best birds ever. They stay on their java tree nicely playing the rest of the day. I guess you could say i rocked their world. :)

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
"... just like any dog or other animal, our pet birds don't really realize they are being limited by the harness"

On this point alone I think that it's worthwhile to keep in mind that birds have a very strong feathers=survival Instinct. A birds preening skill seems to kick in immediately after birth demonstrating how important feathers are in their lives (not just chickens but I've even seen baby birds with downy feathers preen themselves). For this reason we shouldn't assume that their psyche with regards to feather disruption can be compared to a human toddler or any other mammal that is being restrained. We've all seen how our birds, upon becoming relaxed and at ease, will immediately commence preening themselves. In addition, mutual preening is an affiliative behavior - done between individuals in order to strengthen their pair bond. It is a sign of how important properly groomed feathers, as well as removing imperfections on those feathers, are to birds. How many of us have had birds preen us and, sometimes painfully, try to remove imperfections on our own bodies? - this is that very same instinct!

The point being is that we do not downplay how stressed a bird can be when some object is causing feather disruption. And that it may cause that animal greater stress because their experience of it is not comparable to a human toddler in a harness or a dog on a leash.

I first read about extensively in Dr. Lafeber's book "Let's Celebrate pet birds."

But for further insight, here are some quotes I grabbed from Wikipedia...

"Displaced feathers can cause birds considerable trouble; such feathers might become damaged, could interrupt the smooth flow of air over a flying bird, or might allow the bird's body heat to escape. "

"Because feathers are critical to a bird's survival — contributing as they do to insulation, waterproofing and aerodynamic flight — birds spend a great deal of time maintaining them."

Sorry I can't comment on any particular harness as I don't use them.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
... and I also think it's worth noting how over preening seems to be the most common displacement behavior anytime there's a frustration in their lives.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
Blu enjoying the sun in his Aviator harness. Doesn't act stressed or irritated at all. He enjoys flying from any perch to my arm. I'm using this to enforce the recall gesture much like falconers use bait to recall birds. Eventually I hope to be able to free fly him. I went to Auburn University in Alabama. Our eagle mascot, War Eagle, free flies the stadium prior to kickoff at all of our home games. Recall is based on the bird's desire to be with the handler. Bait is merely an attention getter. I raised and trained horses and mules for over 40 years. If any of them didn't trust me or want to be with me I couldn't train them. Gaining trust and attraction comes before training with any species. Halters, harnesses or any type of tether only prevent accidents and should never be used for abuse, punishment or forced restraint. 0128181706_HDR.jpg