• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone turned a porch into a screen aviary?

KParker24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kasey
We are in the process of closing on a house. Right now the front porch is covered with risking and lattice. With a lot of work and the right heavy duty screening could this be turned into a bird safe screened porch for the kids?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I have a friend who has done just that with mesh. She has Pionus and did it herself.

I had an aviary built on my decking which is between my garage and conservatory. So I have proper 1x1 inch stainless steel mesh. But my friend has used something like more like fly screen mesh to cover her whole porch. I’ll ask her what she used. I guess too the material would have to suit your birds.

KParker24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kasey
I have a friend who has done just that with mesh. She has Pionus and did it herself.

I had an aviary built on my decking which is between my garage and conservatory. So I have proper 1x1 inch stainless steel mesh. But my friend has used something like more like fly screen mesh to cover her whole porch. I’ll ask her what she used. I guess too the material would have to suit your birds.
Thanks! We have two parrotlets, and a baby Green Cheek Conure.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I just had a conversation with my friend. I’ll paste what she said:

“Are they in the US? If so, it is just the standard window screening that is so common here. You can buy it in rolls and a local company attached it to wooden frames that enclose my porch.
Mine is a metal mesh… and has lasted for decades. Some panels got ripped when we had a fierce hail storm years ago. It’s very inexpensive.
I had a panel repaired last year , the big one in the end, it only cost like $60.”

Here is a pic. Her Pionus is sitting on a basket if you can zoom in.

IMG_7116.jpeg

KParker24

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kasey
I just had a conversation with my friend. I’ll paste what she said:

“Are they in the US? If so, it is just the standard window screening that is so common here. You can buy it in rolls and a local company attached it to wooden frames that enclose my porch.
Mine is a metal mesh… and has lasted for decades. Some panels got ripped when we had a fierce hail storm years ago. It’s very inexpensive.
I had a panel repaired last year , the big one in the end, it only cost like $60.”

Here is a pic. Her Pionus is sitting on a basket if you can zoom in.

View attachment 446363
Oh wow it doesn’t even look screened from the picture lol
Yeah normal window screen was a thought I just wasn’t sure how sturdy that would be for them

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
My friend just said,

“Oh yes, the metal screening is strong enough for lidda parrotlets. And Binah. LOL!”

Binah is her naughty Pionus - she used to have two of them. :D