• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone else accidentally hurt their bird(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleGems

Rollerblading along the road
I accidently broke a leg on my first GCC Bandit. He was being a brat and jumped to the floor, and I reached down to grab him, but slipped on the carpet and fell with my hand right over him. I was lucky that it was just a broken leg, he easily could have been killed. He was only 3 or 4 months old, and he healed up great but he HATED the vet after that, as he had to go back every week for a month to have his splint changed!

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm ..

I almost squashed Kismet by sitting on her. She flew to the seat of my office chair just as I was sitting down, scared the you know what out of me!!

She also almost got whacked by a ceiling fan .. I only have one fan that runs all the time, and that's in my bedroom, which is a strict no birdie zone. I forgot to shut the door, and for some reason, Kismet decided to check out the "new land". I caught her mid flight before she got close, but my heart was in my throat for a good hour.

A few toe nails clipped too short a time or two on various birds. I HATE that!!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have closed the toe on toes a few times.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yikes! there is some pretty bad accidents.

I just remembered another one, when I got my very first 2 'keets, Sierra and Reiko, I had bought them a little cage beforehand, the doors on this cage swing open and shut, well when I had got the 'keets and got home, I put them in straight away.. I had put Reiko in, and then when I went to put Sierra in, her nail got caught on my jumper, she was only half way through the door, stupid me forgetting about the door that swings open and shut (you have to hold it) I accidentally LET GO of the door to try get Sierra's toenail released from my jumper, and the swinging door shut right on her neck. That was the worse thing I have ever done - luckily she was okay, but I could have broken her neck or anything, plus she was only a baby and so tiny. :sad1: I will NEVER get a cage that has swinging doors again!

samccormack

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Scott
Luckily the worst thing I have done is shut doors on toes.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Yes, I've accidentally closed the door on Archie's toe, I felt so terrible :(
I also had to towel Calypso when I first brought her home and she got loose and couldn't fly, and she had wedged herself into the corner on the floor between the joint where the closet door would close. I was shaking and terrified, and eventually got her out (thankfully), but she was scared, and I think the trauma of wedging herself into the closet door and actually causing it to close a bit (on her head and heck! :eek:) really did a number on her. I was so upset, and SO relieved when I managed to get her out of there and back into her cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.