• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison's

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hey all!

I can't seem to find the search feature of this forum and I know for a fact Harrison's pellets have been discussed here. I've been looking at it as an option for Paulie because a co-worker of my husband's, who claims to have raised P'lets, is sharing his experience with these pellets. According to him, something about the binding agent in pellets is what is bad for P'lets but because Harrison's has an all naturally pressed line of pellets that shouldn't be a concern (?).

Can I get some feedback please? Paulie's vet had also wanted me to switch to pellets so I'm really trying to look at it as an option.

Thanks guys!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@Gribouille
I’m tagging her as I think she had an issue with her last p’let and Harrison’s.
Thanks, yeah well, I don't actually know anything for sure. When Twitter died, someone mentioned Harrison's having too much proteins for p'lets, causing organ failure. Now I haven't heard anyone else confirming that, and several other p'lets owners said that was the best pellets they knew of. My vet recommends it too, although it was for budgies and I don't know what she says about p'lets there, but it says parrotlets on the packaging so it should be fine..

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I knew I remembered something about it, but wasn’t sure.

@PacificPaulie if your vet is recommending them and the person you know raising parrotlets stated Harrison’s is good it is most likely the case. Obviously we’re all super vigilant about what we give our babies, but unless there’s evidence of Harrison’s being bad for p’lets I’d say it is for sure a good brand to switch to.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Many of the pellet claims for parrotlets are the mutation parrotlets.

I fed Harrison's for years to my normal green Pacific male. He passed 3 mos shy of turning 16. I am obw who believes in this food. I have a Cockatoo eating the high potency and she been on it over 4 years. 1 year eith me, 4 years in rescue. Also this bird had elevated liver enzymes in the past. Bloodwork a year ago and her liver values are normal.

I would never feed 100% pellets to any bird. All birds need to eat a varied diet as you guys already know. :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Many of the pellet claims for parrotlets are the mutation parrotlets.
Do you consider the "normal" blue pacific parrotlets "mutations", or only the other fancy colors (that we don't have where I live)?

I fed Harrison's for years to my normal green Pacific male. He passed 3 mos shy of turning 16. I am obw who believes in this food. I have a Cockatoo eating the high potency and she been on it over 4 years. 1 year eith me, 4 years in rescue. Also this bird had elevated liver enzymes in the past. Bloodwork a year ago and her liver values are normal.
Thanks, it is very good to know! :)

I would never feed 100% pellets to any bird. All birds need to eat a varied diet as you guys already know.
yeah well, in theory they have everything they need in the pellets, but it would be like us having the same powder meal every day, I'm not sure it is THAT healthy in the end, and even if it is, it is not mentally healthy!! Good with colors, smell, textures, fresh and yummy!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Do you consider the "normal" blue pacific parrotlets "mutations", or only the other fancy colors (that we don't have where I live)?

Thanks, it is very good to know! :)

yeah well, in theory they have everything they need in the pellets, but it would be like us having the same powder meal every day, I'm not sure it is THAT healthy in the end, and even if it is, it is not mentally healthy!! Good with colors, smell, textures, fresh and yummy!
The only normal color of a Pacific parrotlet is the green. The yellows, blues, turquoise,, whites, fallows, pied are all color mutations.

The blues existed some 25 years ago when I got my normal green. These other colors weren't around way way back. They are cool to me, but the most appealing color to me is the green.

Chops, mashes and healthy greens, grains and fruits round out a great diet in addition to pellets. I always fed egg food too.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
From what I have read on this, it is protein content that you need to consider. Since some pellets are formulated for a wide range of species they are too rich for parrotlets. Parrotlets are sensitive to very rich foods. Some say to never give them a sunflower seed. Veggies are a large part of these little bird's diet.

If you want to go with pellets consider the formulation and ratios. I wouldn't use a product that is higher than 14% protein, lower is better. You need to protect your parrotlet from gout or other stresses on their tiny little kidneys.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The only normal color of a Pacific parrotlet is the green. The yellows, blues, turquoise,, whites, fallows, pied are all color mutations. The blues existed some 25 years ago when I got my normal green. These other colors weren't around way way back. .
We have only green and blue here, but my green being the son of a green and a blue, he isn't 100% original green. He certainly has mutated genes even if recessive. I can see yellow and blue under his green so I should consider him as mutated too I guess.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Dehydration and high protein are both very hard on kidneys.
I agree, this goes for our dogs and cats too. I feed wet meals even their dry food is mixed with water. The Harrison's mashes are also another way of feeding good foods moist. Little birds aren't going to dunk pellets like their larger relatives. I do have a pellet dunker with Sophie who eats Harrison's and Goldenfeast Golden'Obles.

In regard to your reply above, I never fed sunflower seeds to my parrotlet. They are prove to AFLD (Avian Fatty liver Disease)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I don't feed sunflower to the parrotlets either. So many healthier options. :)
Absolutely! Safflower is high in fat too, but better if limited.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Thats weird, I must have missed that part. They have all these great foods and pellets Ptttt! Uncolored all natural pellets may be fine but never 100% of any birds diet. I was a little negligent to post those links I guess. I also forgot that my daughters bird is a mutation and was told by the breeder they should not have many pellets. Just shows me to stick to my lane with IRNs, GCC and Eclectus

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Thank you all so much! I greatly appreciate this insight.

The fella who raised P'lets in the past said moderation is key, which seems to be what I'm gathering from this discussion. His recommendation (what he's had success with in the past), was a teaspoon of the pellets in the morning, and chop in the evening or for any other subsequent meals if a P'let is fed more than twice a day. This is what he did for his green and mutation P'lets.

Paulie was primarily on chop and seed and the vet wanted me to go away from seed. When the fella who raised P'lets heard we feed Paulie seed in addition to chop he speculated the seed may have been the culprit behind Paulie's behavioral issues...

And you guys, the correlation between absence of seed and Paulie's behavior seems to lend itself to the impression that this guy was right. He has been so ridiculously sweet the past few days in the absence of seed! No more super bitiness when hubby and I are both present... He still has his sass, but it's easier to love and live with.

Thank you all again so much! I'll go to the Harrison's store and check out what they've got.