• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrisons pellets...low iron

Buttersquash

Meeting neighbors
Hi,
I was wondering how many other softbill owners might use Harrisons organic pellets? I recently called a Zupreem rep who confirmed that their softbill pellets comprise GMO corn. I'm afraid that Mazuri might be the same. I'm not a fan of GMOs and so was looking for other options. I already feed Harrisons pellets to my cockatiel (of 13 years) and he has done very well, but I never assumed they would be appropriate for softbills. However, I looked into it, and surprisingly, Harrisons' website (under FAQ's) states all its foods are low iron 70-100ppm) and I called and confirmed this with a couple of nutrition advisors at Harrisons.

So I converted my aracari over from Mazuri to Harrisons over the last few weeks and he eats them quite well; the conversion was surprisingly easy for us. He especially LOVES the Power Treats (though he gets those only as, well, a treat, because they are higher in sugar).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Bump. :)

Buttersquash

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the bump Sunnysmom :):D

So Harrisons rep. also told me they have been supplying its pellets for years for the toucans at the Palm Beach Zoo in FL. They are reported to apparently do well on it.

I digress: but I saw that Palm Beach Zoo recently acquired a rare Pondicherry vulture, and I read a bit about their sad plight in the article below:
This Palm Beach Zoo vulture is the last of his kind in North America | Featured
"What’s killing them? Diclofenac, an anti-inflammatory drug. In the United States, doctors prescribe it for arthritis, migraines and menstrual cramps. But in Asia, ranchers reach for it as a cheap treatment for fever and lameness in livestock. When vultures feed on dead cattle who’ve been treated with diclofenac, the drug triggers renal failure in the birds. And that starts a disastrous domino effect.
“Vultures are nature’s garbage disposals,” Dolinsky says. “So when there aren’t as many cleaner-uppers, so to speak, there’s more rotting meat. That attracts feral dogs, and the feral dog population in Asia has skyrocketed. That means more rabies in Asia, and you can trace it all back to the decline of the vultures.”
When the link between diclofenac and declining vulture populations was discovered more than a decade ago, it was characterized as the first documented case of a pharmaceutical product wreaking widespread ecological damage."

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Hmm did the Harrison's rep specifically say that their pellets are at iron levels below 100ppm? Because I'm not finding that info in their FAQ and don't really trust the statement "a low iron food" because that is too subjective.